Law School Discussion

"Online Personas".....beware of what you disclose on here...

Re: "Online Personas".....beware of what you disclose on here...
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006, 06:08:36 AM »
to all the adcomms who, i'm sure, are obsessively stalking me:

1.  i'm not as much of a stresshead as i appear--the stress just has nowhere else to go since no one else i know cares about law school.
2.  i actually have a sense of humor.
3.  your school is a fine school that i would be thrilled to attend.

that is all.

seriously, though, i'm probably ridiculously easy to identify if anyone wanted to (i know i am because someone already has).  i just try not to say anything rude, but i'm hard pressed to imagine that anyone's gonna take the time to go through all my old posts and use them as forensic evidence to piece together my personality and fitness for law school.  just seems like way too much effort, when i have a perfectly good application for them to look at that's already sitting on their desk  ;)

cheesesteak

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 06:09:57 AM »
It only gets better.

Firms have paralegals, summer associates, and associates who work for them who have Facebook accounts.  If one of the firms employees is in your network the firm can see your profile (sh*t, hide all of the plastic cups and the overtly sexual poses)

Some of my 2L and 3L friends started getting friend requests from a random woman who claimed to be a law student, this all happened after Nov. 1. this year.  This "woman" friend requested about 30 people in the upper classes at my school, no one knew her and she seemed to target the top 30% of the class.  Some of them asked her who she was, where she was at school, how is it going, etc.  She answered nothing and did nothing and her profile was/is virtually blank.

She works for a firm.

Have fun with that.

I think it's pretty obvious that firms do this though- it's been well publicized all over the place.
Thanks queenie for the reminder.

Reesespbcup

• Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 06:59:58 AM »
What about those of us who are here all the time but have very few posts?  How do we come off?

You mean aside from the big green afro?

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2006, 07:12:59 AM »
Just to add to this thread:

People have identified me IRL solely from the content of my posts.
I also know a person who has a direct say in admissions who acknowledges having read this board.

Reesespbcup

• Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006, 07:13:45 AM »
Gould think I alwse do spel chek then

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2006, 07:25:35 AM »
in real life i'm a ninja

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2006, 07:26:00 AM »
meh,
dont worry
be happy now...

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2006, 07:31:34 AM »
I got that email from admissions consultants too...and then went through and deleted a bunch of my posts.

I think the thing that makes you most identifiable is the LSN link in your sig. It's got your stats, the list of schools your applying to, application dates, major, etc. I bet it's amazingly easy to match posters with applications just based on their LSN profiles.

And I bet it can bite you in the ass. Think about how often people make snotty comments about admissions staff or give bad review of visits to schools they're applying to anyway.

I'm not saying don't post, but if you do either a.) try to stay anonymous or b.) watch what you say.

Zam

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2006, 07:34:57 AM »
Now that I have disguised myself no one will know who I am...

;)

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2006, 08:06:36 AM »
i asked my own admissions officer here if they did that.  he was like 'we get 1800 applications a year.  like we have time for that?'

i attend a little state t3.  maybe its different at t14.