Law School Discussion

"Online Personas".....beware of what you disclose on here...

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
Re: "Online Personas".....beware of what you disclose on here...
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 08:25:21 PM »
Yes.  Admissions officers probably browse these boards from time to time.

No. You should probably not be throwing around racial slurs or cursing all over the place.

Other than that, it's silly to think an admin is going to try and judge something like how passive you are about the admissions process.  Just don't be an idiot.  Sarcasm and poking fun at others is not going to get you in any trouble.  These are internet pastimes.

Meh, not so sure about the poking fun at others part.  Depends on if the "others" happens to be "their undergrad."

rtqw

• Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 08:31:49 PM »
Remember that admissionsconsultants.com has lots to gain if less people use and get LS application information and advice from message boards - more people will be inclined to use their services, so it makes sense for them to discourage the use of message boards.

Of course, there is still truth to what they say - I would not be surprised if some schools do have someone looking at these boards (although 'many of the top schools' is quite vague). You are less anonymous then you may think online, so you should continue to act in a dignified manner as you do in real life. I think the risks of posting, however, are overstated.

Geo_Storm

• I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 08:46:40 PM »
I've thought about the risks too, but I was foolish enough from the get-go to choose as my name (for LSD, LSN, AIM, you name it) my first initial and last name, so hiding my identity was never an option (hence I even have a picture up for all to enjoy! lol...)

I don't think I've been rude or anything on here, probably just irritating haha  :D

So 86 is your birth year? you're a youngling.

For everyone else, let's be reasonable here, adcomms probably browse these boards to see what wayward advices are being thrown around and will probably seek to correct them on their own websites, or FAQs, or blogs. How one behaves on an online board, may not always be an indicator of that person as a professional.

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2006, 09:22:26 PM »
admissionsconsultants has something to lose with LSD, but in truth, the amount of free advertisement they get is probably worth it. Before I came to LSD, I'd never heard of Anna Ivey, admissionsconsultants, essayedge, powerscore bibles, etc.

They're more likely trying to scare people. Yeah, i doubt many schools go through the trouble of ranking each LSD applicant based on their posts and whether they ask dumb questions, but from this organization's point of view, the most important thing is to get you into law school. after your applications are sent in, being on LSD doesn't even really help you in getting you in.

But they certainly don't take into account that a lot of us have excess anxiety to get rid of, enjoy being in the "company" of other people in the same situation (our real friends can only handle so much law school talk), and just generally goofing off. From admissionsconsultants point of view, all this is an unnecessary risk. From our point of view, it's probably worth the small chance that some school thinks "Gosh. I can't believe this guy 119 asked three questions about his LORs being processed. Ding"

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2006, 10:16:51 PM »
Damn. Cooley, if you'r reading this i'm truly sorry for badmouthing you for so long. Please don't reject me based on my internet persona. I'm a much better person in life.
Kind Regards,
lonewolf

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 10:17:44 PM »
Uh oh, adcomms might know that I spend too much time here as an 'extracurricular' activity. Maybe I should put it on my resumé?

it happens

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 01:23:19 AM »
Just a "heads up" if anyone is really interested.  I'm a 2L who used to have a decent amount of posts, but still troll the board now and again.  Got a lot of help here and have always tried to repay it whenever I can. 

My LSAT... was not good.  The bulk of my apps were T3/T4.  There was one T3 that I really wanted to attend, but I had a full scholarship at a T4.  I didn't hide my identity at all in this forum and kind of shared a lot of my info regarding my school choice.  I was asked my opinion about an admissions office and how they handled scholarships by another poster.  I wasn't mean, but did tell the truth about how inconsiderate the program was during my visit and spoke in general detail about my opinion of the program and how they had fallen in my personal rankings.

I hadn't written them off until I received a later that essentially denied one of my requests and almost directly paraphrased my online report of the program.  It was from an assistant director of admissions, and it was probably not thought out very well.

I'm a little older than the average poster and took some time to reflect on whether or not I'd embellished, been cruel, or just downright untruthful.  I decided to hop a plane...

Had lunch with the Dean.  Got a written apology letter from Ms. X and then withdrew.  Ms. X wasn't in admissions the following fall (maybe left for a better opportunity).

Point is... yeah, watch what you put online, it can come back to bite you.  More importantly, don't let these people in their little cubbies at some university treat you poorly just because they can.  I'm not saying being rude, but you guys are the consumers.  Without you this whole thing doesn't exist.  If we let them hide information and abuse the system... many will.  There are GREAT people in many of the admissions offices all over the country, and there are some power drunk a-holes. Posting the truth on these sites has enormous value.  I thank those who helped me everday for helping dig up a 1L scholarship and then successfully transferring to a higher ranked school.  Without LSD, neither would have happened.

Good luck to all of you.

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2006, 01:27:55 AM »
Wow, that's kind of a scary/hopeful story. How did you get lunch with the dean? I take it he/she was more sympathetic to your cause?

cheesesteak

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2006, 03:41:07 AM »
It only gets better.

Firms have paralegals, summer associates, and associates who work for them who have Facebook accounts.  If one of the firms employees is in your network the firm can see your profile (*&^%, hide all of the plastic cups and the overtly sexual poses)

Some of my 2L and 3L friends started getting friend requests from a random woman who claimed to be a law student, this all happened after Nov. 1. this year.  This "woman" friend requested about 30 people in the upper classes at my school, no one knew her and she seemed to target the top 30% of the class.  Some of them asked her who she was, where she was at school, how is it going, etc.  She answered nothing and did nothing and her profile was/is virtually blank.

She works for a firm.

Have fun with that.

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2006, 05:50:14 AM »
It only gets better.

Firms have paralegals, summer associates, and associates who work for them who have Facebook accounts.  If one of the firms employees is in your network the firm can see your profile (sh*t, hide all of the plastic cups and the overtly sexual poses)

Some of my 2L and 3L friends started getting friend requests from a random woman who claimed to be a law student, this all happened after Nov. 1. this year.  This "woman" friend requested about 30 people in the upper classes at my school, no one knew her and she seemed to target the top 30% of the class.  Some of them asked her who she was, where she was at school, how is it going, etc.  She answered nothing and did nothing and her profile was/is virtually blank.

She works for a firm.

Have fun with that.

I think it's pretty obvious that firms do this though- it's been well publicized all over the place.