Law School Discussion

"Online Personas".....beware of what you disclose on here...

mugatu

• I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
Re: "Online Personas".....beware of what you disclose on here...
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 07:46:01 PM »
fwiw, one of the deans of admissions that I met last year personally told me that an admissions staff member was assigned to read LSD and xoxo (said dean couldn't stomach the task.)  I believe this person.

I don't think anyone can stomach xoxo for any period of time.

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 07:52:00 PM »
I hopes doesn't matter except in rather extreme cases... I mean, the average poster probably isn't going to catch the attention of the hypothetical lurking staff member enough to warrant figuring out which applicant (out of thousands) he or she is.  I doubt they'd go to the trouble of matching the two unless the applicant made a very strong negative or very strong positive impression.  Considering my geographic location, I think I'd be easy to identify, but I just don't see why anyone would bother.  ("This Britomart poster... I can't believe she asked that question... What a moron.  Let's find her application and ding her.")

That's how it would be if Zamora's thread were in charge of admissions...

Oh, no... I'd be dinged everywhere for general ignorance, then.  :0

I'm worried about that whole "passive" poster thing now.  Oh, well.

Zam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 07:55:57 PM »

That's how it would be if Zamora's thread were in charge of admissions...

I would be an AWESOME admissions officer. The class size would be very very small, but everyone would be extremely entertaining.

While I think there is some validity to statements like this I remain skeptical to some extent. Law schools receive thousands of applications a year. It would be pretty difficult in the majority of cases to say with 100% certainty that "Zamora is really Jane Smith" because someone read my posts. Now, posts in combination with stats maybe you could figure it out for sure, but other than that I think it is risky on the schools part. Admissions offices and law schools try to maintain some objectivity and fairness afterall, I don't think they would feel comfortable in the majority of cases making admissions decisions based on what someone writes on lsd. I don't dispute that there are cases of this; I just think statements like this are designed to scare us.

Dude, way to totally blow it. Now they know your name for sure!

Don't worry, I spell one of my names with a "y," so they'll never catch on.

Oops.

LizPendens™

• The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 07:57:23 PM »

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 07:58:53 PM »
I think admissions consultants fuel this hysteria about message boards mainly because they are threatened by them. They must be loosing a lot of customers who would have previously asked them little questions and now can use the message boards.
I mean really with peer editing, and the wealth of knowledge on this board the use for admissions consultants must be dying out.

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 08:00:19 PM »
I think admissions consultants fuel this hysteria about message boards mainly because they are threatened by them. They must be loosing a lot of customers who would have previously asked them little questions and now can use the message boards.
I mean really with peer editing, and the wealth of knowledge on this board the use for admissions consultants must be dying out.

That's an interesting point.  It is a threat, especially since some people here are nice enough to share the advice they get.

ThatGuy84

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 08:08:03 PM »
Yes.  Admissions officers probably browse these boards from time to time.

No. You should probably not be throwing around racial slurs or cursing all over the place.

Other than that, it's silly to think an admin is going to try and judge something like how passive you are about the admissions process.  Just don't be an idiot.  Sarcasm and poking fun at others is not going to get you in any trouble.  These are internet pastimes.

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 08:11:13 PM »
I am sure that if put together all the posts that one did at lsd would easily be able to identify every single poster. But just because someone whined about a school or adcom person makes a enough reason to ding someone? That is kind excessive. In real life, people is bitching all the time. I do not know how true it is of that statement. At least, I do not think coming to LSD is a waste of time. I became much better prepared for the whole application process, at least that is what I think.  :D

Zam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 08:18:18 PM »
Now that I'm really thinking about this maybe I WANT schools to know who I am. I don't think my sense of humor really came accross in any of my applications; my lsd use could dramatically broaden the impression they have of me.

Can't you just see future law school applications including a "What is your handle?" question?

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 08:22:11 PM »
Yes.  Admissions officers probably browse these boards from time to time.

No. You should probably not be throwing around racial slurs or cursing all over the place.

Other than that, it's silly to think an admin is going to try and judge something like how passive you are about the admissions process.  Just don't be an idiot.  Sarcasm and poking fun at others is not going to get you in any trouble.  These are internet pastimes.

Yes, I guess it is a little paranoid to think that I'll be perceived badly simply because I've asked for advice.