Law School Discussion

How do I reconnect with former professors for LORs?

Cindy

How do I reconnect with former professors for LORs?
« on: November 21, 2006, 11:18:08 AM »
I graduated in June 2003 and have moved out of state & lost touch with my former professors. I did some volunteer T.A. work for the Philosphy Director who agreed to write a LOR as compensation/thanks. I am also confident that I could ask my Pre-Law & mock trial advisor for one.

How do I go about requesting letters from instructors I haven't seen or spoken to in 3.5 years?

(I plan to sit for my LSAT in June 2007 & then apply for the Fall 2008 term)

(Thanks in advance to everyone's assisatance)

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
Re: How do I reconnect with former professors for LORs?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 11:20:36 AM »
chances are they are swingers,
so google some websites for clubs in your area and show up at their parties.

/bring a veggie plate or something so as not to be rude

. . .

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 11:20:48 AM »
i found myself in this same situation this year. i sent my professor my personal statement, resume, and an email refreshing her memory as to what an amazing student i was and asking her to write me a recommendation. sending the resume and ps lets old professors see what you have been doing since thay last saw you and can help jog their memory a bit. seemed to do the trick for me. good luck!

Cindy

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 11:25:18 AM »
I had a similar situation with a professor I did research with. I emailed him letting him know what I had been doing since college and that I wanted to go to law school and why. I asked if he would still be willing to write a LOR, and asked if I could come in to give him the form and my resume. Then when I went in, I refreshed his memory on what research projects I worked on and what I specifically contributed (the more specific, the better the letter will be).

I think face time is important, as many people are visual & need to see a person in order to remember who they are. Is scheduling a meeting or lunch with each of them too much?

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 11:26:42 AM »
actually having class with a prof isn't necessary.
if a prof can vouch for your character and write a good LOR,
that's what matters