Law School Discussion

Test booklet appearance on actual test day

CaffeineAddict

• Must stay awake...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Test booklet appearance on actual test day
« on: November 20, 2006, 09:47:25 PM »
When you are taking the actual test (I'm not talking about the cover), does it look identical to the preptest booklets you order from LSAC?  I'm talking about the same text size, font, formatting on the page, blank space etc. Maybe I'll even throw in paper thickness.

Cindy

Re: Test booklet appearance on actual test day
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 10:42:29 PM »

formatting and layout is the same, but the text is less distinct(maybe on a toner budeget?) and the paper is a different shade of color and is thinner (it's that recycled newsprint stuff)

That sounds like a panic attack waiting to happen.
do they provide scratch paper? I tend to use a lot of it...

i.e. if you're used to erasing a lot of stuff on LG sections, get over it.

It's fun when you erase a hole in the page and wipe out a few answer choices on the other side for the next game, or obliterate a question stem, that is even better.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 12:41:00 PM »
I commented on this earlier, but the real test is printed on really crappy paper. It resembles the type of toilet paper you'd find in a public park. If you've taken testmasters then its the same paper as they use for their practice tests. LSAC are a bunch of cheap bastards.

. . .

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 12:45:08 PM »
i took testmasters and i thought the real LSAT answer sheets were a ever so slightly different than the ones we used for practice tests. the shape of the bubbles seemed a tiny bit different. call me crazy, but i notice those things. anyone else?

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 12:51:18 PM »
i took testmasters and i thought the real LSAT answer sheets were a ever so slightly different than the ones we used for practice tests. the shape of the bubbles seemed a tiny bit different. call me crazy, but i notice those things. anyone else?
They are different. I was just talking about test booklets themselves. The real test sheet is actually red and is quite nice.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 12:52:08 PM »
Yeah, the paper is horrible.

The fonts / formatting / etc., is the same, but the paper is a very lightweight, grey recycled paper -- almost similar to newsprint.  The paper is somewhat transparent as well.

The good thing about transperancy was that i knew pretty much right away that my first section was going to be RC. I guess this may give you a few minutes to prepare.

Cindy

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 02:05:26 PM »
Owch, that's rough!

thestradgirl

• where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 02:10:37 PM »

formatting and layout is the same, but the text is less distinct(maybe on a toner budeget?) and the paper is a different shade of color and is thinner (it's that recycled newsprint stuff)

i.e. if you're used to erasing a lot of stuff on LG sections, get over it.

It's fun when you erase a hole in the page and wipe out a few answer choices on the other side for the next game, or obliterate a question stem, that is even better.

LOL!

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 03:26:32 PM »
The good thing about transperancy was that i knew pretty much right away that my first section was going to be RC. I guess this may give you a few minutes to prepare.

The transparency, in a way, worked against me, though it is of no fault but my own.

I suspected my first section, RC was experimental, so I wasn't worried about it through sections 2 and 3.  When i got to the last page of section 4, logic games, I could see that the next section was going to be LR again, and that my RC was not experimental.  This caused me to have a bit of a panic attack and screw up some groups/deductions in a logic game, which I would have otherwise not done.

Interestingly, the greater damage was done to my score not in my RC section that I was worried about (I had done poorly on the last passage, but was otherwise perfect), but on the now ruined logic games section, where I usually do near perfect, but instead missed a number of problems due to my "panic attack."  Had it not been for that panic attack, I can confidently say I'd have been another +4, and therefore above my goal of 170, and therefore not getting ready to retake in a few weeks...
I guess not treating the first RC section as real may have helped you steady your nerves. Too bad about the lg though.