3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 418958 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #7890 on: February 20, 2009, 12:59:40 PM »
Interesting idea, but unlikely to be implemented since it would disproportionately affect the rural poor, among others:

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood tells the AP that the Obama administration is considering taxing drivers based on the number of miles they drive.

“We should look at the vehicular miles program where people are actually clocked on the number of miles that they traveled,” LaHood said in an interview. “What I see this administration doing is this—thinking outside the box on how we fund our infrastructure in America.”

http://www.politico.com/politico44/perm/0209/lahood_eyes_mileage_tax_11f7c6c9-6772-4e13-a73f-3a126556834c.html

Don't we already do this in the form of gas taxes and toll roads?  Blech.

I don't like the idea of people paying for use of public infrastructure.  We all benefit from having an interstate highway system, public rails, etc.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: February 20, 2009, 05:34:44 PM »
Of course we do, but some benefit more than others, and I kinda like the idea of taxing based on use.  There's something inherently fair about that.  The problem, as usual, is what to do about the poor people.  Subsidy?

No, don't tax based on use. :)

The problem with taxing based on use, aside from its being regressive and, you know, going against everything the government should stand for, is that people realize indirect benefits from others' use and there is no way to fairly calculate that.  For instance, Wal-Mart benefits much more from distributing goods to rural big box stores than individual consumers do from being able to shop at Wal-Mart.  Real estate developers benefit much more from having roads go to exurbs than the residents do.  Etc.  

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: February 20, 2009, 09:10:39 PM »
And would that not be reflected in their costs for goods, construction, etc.?

Not in the proportion that they benefit, no.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7893 on: February 20, 2009, 11:13:26 PM »
But are taxes ever in perfectly direct proportion to the benefits reaped?  Your system of progressive taxation indicates a negative answer... ;)

What's "my" system of progressive taxation?

And of course they aren't, which is why use taxes, which may indeed have the appearance of fairness (as you suggest), aren't actually fair at all.

I am missing you this weekend.  I would be at RebLaw but for some unforeseen job-related business.  Of course I know you aren't there, either, but trips to New Haven will forever make me think of you. :)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: February 21, 2009, 05:31:12 PM »
I'm just saying, you said the use tax would be fair because people are taxed according to their use.  Maybe, but only if actual use is the same as utility, which it isn't in this instance.

Anyway, yes, I am raising a pisco sour to you, kiddo!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: February 22, 2009, 09:31:19 PM »
Alright, folks. Burris should resign. That is all, thx.

I'll see your should resign and raise you a should receive a swift kick to the rear and be tossed out of the senate.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: February 23, 2009, 02:32:44 AM »
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: February 23, 2009, 02:33:56 AM »
...some odd good news among bad news..

Qaida founder blasts successor bin Laden for 'immoral terror' 

By Yossi Melman, Haaretz Correspondent 

One of Al-Qaida's founders, Sayyid Imam al-Sharif, has waged a harsh verbal attack on the terrorist organization's leaders Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri.

Sharif's criticism of the Al-Qaida ideology and the failures of its leadership have unleashed a heated debate within the global Jihad movement and it has been publicized in several western media outlets.

Sharif, who is serving a life sentence in a Cairo prison, recently wrote a book in which he said, "every drop of blood that was shed or is being shed in Afghanistan and Iraq is the responsibility of bin Laden and Zawahiri and their followers."
 Advertisement

The Al-Qaida figurehead also said called the September 11 terror attacks immoral and counterproductive.

"Attacking America has become the shortest road to fame and leadership among the Arabs and Muslims," wrote Sharif, who also goes by the nom de guerre Dr. Fadl. "But what good is it if you destroy one of your enemy's buildings, and he destroys one of your countries? What good is it if you kill one of his people, and he kills a thousand of yours? That, in short, is my evaluation of 9/11."

Sharif also criticizes Muslims who move to the West only to perpetrate terror attacks in their adopted countries. "If they gave you permission to enter their homes and live with them, and if they gave you security for yourself and your money, and if they gave you the opportunity to work or study, or they granted you political asylum" wrote Sharif, then it is "not honorable" to "betray them, through killing and destruction."

According to Reuven Paz, an expert on Islamist movements, Sharif is considered one of the leading ideologues within the Egyptian group that cultivated Jihad starting in the 1970s.

Together with Zawahiri, he struggled against Egypt's leadership and also fought against the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan.

Sharif's writings have enraged Zawahiri's followers, who claim Sharif is working for Egyptian intelligence.

Dr. Paz said that American intelligence sources who study global Jihad have in recent months expressed hope that Sharif will influence the younger generation
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: February 24, 2009, 09:04:37 PM »
hey people. long time. yada yada.

Did anyone see Justice Thomas nearly knock Justice Ginsburg over because she was walking slow?
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: February 24, 2009, 09:40:52 PM »
hey people. long time. yada yada.

Did anyone see Justice Thomas nearly knock Justice Ginsburg over because she was walking slow?

YES! Beyond rude. He's a boor as well as a nincompoop.