3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 419546 times)

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #7860 on: January 30, 2009, 07:50:12 PM »
That would just make it interesting! But I am sick of Blago. I gonna need him to shut up now.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7861 on: January 30, 2009, 10:59:36 PM »
Yup no surprise there. Although I do wonder what will happen if he's not actually convicted of anything.

either way, he not guv.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7862 on: January 31, 2009, 12:11:56 AM »
That would just make it interesting! But I am sick of Blago. I gonna need him to shut up now.

another corrupt inane hypocritical democrat...r.i.p donkee!
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7863 on: January 31, 2009, 01:08:05 AM »
Well I wouldnt go that far.  Boring or not Gore would have made a much better president than Bush.  A tin can would have made a much better president than Bush.  I prefer dullness over dumbness any day.   

Man, they can't do that to me!  My man Dan and Keith?!  I don't think they'll ever get rid of him.  The "opposition viewers"  you speak of get on my last nerves.  They only watch the opposite of whatever's in power?  How about formulating one's own opinion or finding something politically neutral?  O'reilly and Hannity-  "fixed news" should be ashamed of themselves. Oh and whatever that morning program is needs to be put off the air.  Today they had some dumbness about a study of baby names of juvenile offenders.  Of course all the black- sounding names were on the "at risk" list and white sounding names were considered safe.  I'm gonna need Fox news to be less obvious with their racism.  I see this blatant BS as an insult to my intelligence.

aye think bush was better for the us than gore would have been...we needed "wrangler politics" after 911 and most of my friends who are middle eastern agree that gore would have encouraged more turmoil and probably not have had the stomache to fight back...sorry...if aye walked into a barfight aye wouldn't want to be with my smartest friends...aye would want to be with someone who scares the shite out of the aggressors and has the balls and knowhow to throw down...

bush was fine...like truman...his moves with regard to enemies and tyranny, in "w's" case: "radical islamist guerrillas" and "saddam hussein" and us security will be seen as beneficial...with history there is no mystery...you may not see it now but there are many who see how a similar legacy will play out...t.e. lawrence and faisel carved up iraq..years after the treaty of sevres, bush put it back together again and ridded the mesopoetamian region from tyrannical rule...

well aye am a periodical man myself when seeking out real news...but as far as entertainment news....aye enjoy the opposition point of view.

hannity is going to have a great run at fox...his popularity has increased since the election...o'reilly not as much movement...has solid ratings....but then again...the old folks...aye loved his interview with obama...only one who didn't give obama a pass...it was great...fact of the matter is that the contrary opinion to who is in power is also the more enticing and interesting...like watching a car wreck...

aye turn off fox news when it is inane...eg...morning shows...

aye haven't watched fox as frequently as other entertainment news in the past eight years...but aye enjoy the contrary banter...

seriously though...olbermann was full of some major b.s...still is...his effete barking into the camera had NO effect on how the operations in iraq were excecuted...and that was olbermanns main screed...in fact...his barkings are now more like yips since the mesopoetama is in a redeployment mode...and bush was able to walk all over the democrats in congress...bush got everything he wanted from them...probably why keith was such a frustrated man...but olberman is now a bore to me and he used to be so much more entertaining...except now he is... r e a c h i n g...he started reaching toward the end of the election and aye don't watch him anymore...aye do enjoy hannity once in a while...he is my new "keith olbermann"...you just have to be able to smell the bull...keith shat a lot of bull in the past years and padded his apartment with the methane green...
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7864 on: February 01, 2009, 12:36:47 PM »
BART cop's defense claims Taser mistaken for gun
Stephen C. Webster
Published: Saturday January 31, 2009

Shooter's bail set at $3 million as protest flares in Oakland; Outside agency taking over investigation

According to files released Friday, Johannes Mehserle, the Bay Area Rapid Transit officer who shot and killed 22-year-old Oscar Grant on New Year's Day, told a fellow officer he planned to shock Grant with his Taser, not shoot him.

During a crowded Friday hearing, Alameda County Superior Court Judge Morris Jacobson set Mehserle's bail at $3 million.

"That is the type of bail that will go a long ways toward ensuring future appearances in court," said the judge.

Also on Friday, it was announced that an outside agency would take over the shooting investigation, displacing BART Police Chief Gary Gee after he circulated a memo describing how BART employees might go about sending money and material comforts to Mehserle.

"It is unacceptable for the police chief, who ostensibly is investigating Mehserle and other officers ... To encourage officers to visit and make financial contributions to Mehserle," said John Burris, who represents Oscar Grant's family.

Judge Jacobson said he set Mehserle's bail so high because he believes the officer gave an "inconsistent story." He went so far as to say the defendant might "make up a story to avoid the consequences of his actions."

"Jacobson said Mehserle told fellow BART police officers that he was going to use a Taser on Grant, a 22-year-old Hayward man, but after Mehserle shot Grant he told a colleague, 'I thought he had a gun,'" reports San Francisco's KTVU.

The court documents, which contain statements from fellow BART officers present during the shooting, indicate that Mehserle had intended to use a Taser on Grant.

"I'm going to taze him, I'm going to taze him," Mehserle said, according to Officer Tony Pirone. "I can't get his arms. He won't give me his arms. His hands are going for his waistband."

Immediately after the shot, Pirone claims Mehserle said, "Tony, I thought he was going for a gun."

(continued) http://rawstory.com/news/2008/BART_cops_defense_claims_taser_mistaken_0131.html
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7865 on: February 01, 2009, 01:13:37 PM »
In fairness, I don't believe the stories "I planned to taze him" and "I thought he had a gun" are at all inconsistent.  An officer may use a Taser on someone because he believes that person may have a gun (and reserve deadly force for when he knows that person has a gun).  Regardless, I am really SMH over all this.  It's a tragic shame.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7866 on: February 01, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »
In fairness, I don't believe the stories "I planned to taze him" and "I thought he had a gun" are at all inconsistent.  An officer may use a Taser on someone because he believes that person may have a gun (and reserve deadly force for when he knows that person has a gun).  Regardless, I am really SMH over all this.  It's a tragic shame.

wasn't grant cuffed though?

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7867 on: February 01, 2009, 01:23:13 PM »

Yes...with an officer's foot on his neck. Has anyone seen the pre-shooting video where Oscar Grant was punched in the face by another officer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac5s6SyYzQM
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7868 on: February 01, 2009, 01:32:49 PM »

The police claim no.  Some bystanders say the officer was handcuffing him when the shot happened.  It's hard to see from the video.  I think the was handcuffed based on the position of his hands after the shooting, but there's no proof that I know of.

Yes...with an officer's foot on his neck. Has anyone seen the pre-shooting video where Oscar Grant was punched in the face by another officer?

I have seen this, and obviously that officer should be off the force and in jail.  He assaulted Grant, and he is definitely responsible for making the scene so chaotic and, ultimately, deadly.  But this video and story do not show that Grant was cuffed at the time of the shooting.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7869 on: February 01, 2009, 08:44:34 PM »

The police claim no.  Some bystanders say the officer was handcuffing him when the shot happened.  It's hard to see from the video.  I think the was handcuffed based on the position of his hands after the shooting, but there's no proof that I know of.

I have seen this, and obviously that officer should be off the force and in jail.  He assaulted Grant, and he is definitely responsible for making the scene so chaotic and, ultimately, deadly.  But this video and story do not show that Grant was cuffed at the time of the shooting.

This is probably one of the better quality videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlfNNiwoa_E

I think the video is pretty clear, especially, considering the position of Grant's hands right before and after the shooting and that his hands stayed in that position during the shooting.