3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 424113 times)

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #7830 on: January 25, 2009, 12:29:08 AM »
folks didn't think it appropriate; respecting the office and whatnot (hmm but Bus didn't respect his own office :-X).  I personally did not boo mostly 'cause I was working with kids & thought it inappropriate to influence their views one way or the other.

I just stood silent when they announced Bush.  But I did get some oodles hearing the boos.

Did any body get close?

Moments that should've been better: 'Retha (umhmmm "cold weather"), Roberts (come on, man, 35 words...practice that ish or read a card), and Yo Yo Ma (recording? lame)

Those of us that are former band nerds know that instruments (particularly woodwinds/ orechestral instruments; brass is fine) aint worth a damn in the cold so I wasn't too disappointed it was a recording.  It woulda sounded like crap live and then u woulda been talking 'bout that.  Woulda been really squeaky.   
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7831 on: January 25, 2009, 11:35:09 AM »
Did any body get close?

Moments that should've been better: 'Retha (umhmmm "cold weather"), Roberts (come on, man, 35 words...practice that ish or read a card), and Yo Yo Ma (recording? lame)

Those of us that are former band nerds know that instruments (particularly woodwinds/ orechestral instruments; brass is fine) aint worth a damn in the cold so I wasn't too disappointed it was a recording.  It woulda sounded like crap live and then u woulda been talking 'bout that.  Woulda been really squeaky.   

Yeah. I played cello for about 5 1/2 years and I can't imagine playing in that kind a cold. The thought of plucking metal strings in 30-something degree weather while your hand is numb....Plus, the cello wouldn't stay tuned in that kind of weather.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7832 on: January 25, 2009, 11:51:01 AM »
Did they not know it was going to be cold when they accepted?...

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7833 on: January 25, 2009, 12:58:36 PM »

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7834 on: January 25, 2009, 09:52:47 PM »
Thatís all we get Sands?

Saucony hangs his head a little disappointed.

My bad dawg. I was Just lookin' forward to some of that KCET, Charlie Rose, in-depth analysis and perspective you always lace us with. That all.

Word. I was expecting a 5,000 word joint minimum. You set the bar man, don't let us down now.

OK it's like a week later but better late than never right?  My hours lately have been killer so you'll have to excuse the tardiness.  I'm still recuperating from 7 hours in the frigged cold.

OK, so I got down there on Saturday night.  Caught up with old classmates and what have you.  Parties everywhere.  Rejoicing in the streets.  I stepped off the Amtrak and automatically felt the vibe in D.C.  It was like being at a family reunion so to speak.  People were eerily nice to each other in cramped spaces when typically they would be ready to cuss each other out.  If somebody bumped into you during the weekend, they would apologize and smile.  There was just a lot of accepted claustrophobia going on.

I tried to avoid the obvious spots like Love and U street as much as possible for the whole weekend and leaned more towards house parties with friends and stuff like that.  I figured I would leave the popular spots for the tourists.

On the day of it was a organized military operation:

Up at 0400 hours, on the metro by 0500.

Everybody on the train was smiling, full of positive energy, the whole 9.  People started randomly busting out into chants and songs. It was great.

So I finally make it down to downtown DC. My whole group didn't have tickets so we had to break off from each other at some point and rush to set up our camps.  I went to my ticket area and was pleased to actually see mad police officers out directing folks to where they should be.  It ran smoothly.  And then I waited from about 6am until about 7:45am when they decided to open the gates.

Oh, I almost forgot:  milk crates!  Our team decided to take Milk Crates with us to the inauguration and are we ever glad that we did, because when everybody else was standing for those 7+ hours, I was sitting down giving the old feet a break. 

So I rushed into the "security" gate.  It lasted all of 10 seconds.  The guy patted me like two or three times and then I went on my way.  Me and my milk crate. 

Folks were literally running out of the security check point to go find the best spot to watch it from.  I rolled over to a spot with a decent view and posted up on my milk crate and waited.  About an hour later I couldn't feel my feet despite my 3 layers of socks.  At some point I took my shoes off and started rubbing my feet and then some random elderly white lady came by and gave me some feet warmers and saved my life just like that.  That's the type of atmosphere that was going on out there.

I was fairly close to the capital.  I could get the details on the screen closest to me whenever somebody was coming out of the main door onto the stage, and then I would look over to the capital and see them actually walking out of the door in real life.  Very cool.

When the crowd saw Obama on the screen they went nuts.

When Bush came out he got Booooooed by the crowd.  I caught myself laughing at that one.  I got it on video.

Then Roberts administered the Oath (the first one) and then the crowd went nuts again. 

Then I finally got to hear my first Obama speech in person even after all my volunteering and listening to him on conference calls.  It was a surreal experience that I'm still trying to wrap my head around.  I'm slowing coming to the realization that our President is Black and that I was there to see him sworn in.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7835 on: January 25, 2009, 10:29:19 PM »
They let you take milk crates in??  Interesting, given their 8x6x4 limitation on bags.

The general police presence was indeed impressive...but I was :: close to witnessing a riot at the intersection of 7th and D SW after the inauguration.  Kinda scary b/c people were pushing against each other trying to get through, almost to the point of crushing short/old people, yet no one seemed to know where they were going.  Finally, someone yelled for everyone to go one way, and it kinda worked...well enough for me to get out and make my way to L'Enfant anyway.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7836 on: January 26, 2009, 12:02:49 AM »
Did they not know it was going to be cold when they accepted?...

hence, the pre-recording...
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7837 on: January 26, 2009, 12:08:42 AM »
Man...I wish I could have experienced this.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7838 on: January 26, 2009, 11:32:32 AM »
I am SO there on January 20, 2013.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7839 on: January 26, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »

OK, so I got down there on Saturday night.  Caught up with old classmates and what have you.  Parties everywhere.  Rejoicing in the streets.  I stepped off the Amtrak and automatically felt the vibe in D.C.  It was like being at a family reunion so to speak.  People were eerily nice to each other in cramped spaces when typically they would be ready to cuss each other out.  If somebody bumped into you during the weekend, they would apologize and smile.  There was just a lot of accepted claustrophobia going on.

Everybody on the train was smiling, full of positive energy, the whole 9.  People started randomly busting out into chants and songs. It was great.

So I finally make it down to downtown DC. My whole group didn't have tickets so we had to break off from each other at some point and rush to set up our camps.  I went to my ticket area and was pleased to actually see mad police officers out directing folks to where they should be.  It ran smoothly.  And then I waited from about 6am until about 7:45am when they decided to open the gates.

Folks were literally running out of the security check point to go find the best spot to watch it from.  I rolled over to a spot with a decent view and posted up on my milk crate and waited.  About an hour later I couldn't feel my feet despite my 3 layers of socks.  At some point I took my shoes off and started rubbing my feet and then some random elderly white lady came by and gave me some feet warmers and saved my life just like that.  That's the type of atmosphere that was going on out there.

Then I finally got to hear my first Obama speech in person even after all my volunteering and listening to him on conference calls.  It was a surreal experience that I'm still trying to wrap my head around.  I'm slowing coming to the realization that our President is Black and that I was there to see him sworn in.

So you weren't there for the opening ceremony?  The same energy was down there the entire week-  it was great.  Everyone was respectful; no attitudes about the lines and not being able to get to certain places.

They were selling those "hot hands" all over the place.

Man...I wish I could have experienced this.

Man, just make sure you aint working it!  I was with this Youth Inaugural Conference (from the 14th until the 22nd)-  no not the good one for 18-34 year olds the one with the high school.  When I signed up they made it sound like we were going to be right there in Obama's grill-  seated!  Not so much.  We were in binocular range eventually but then it was my turn for a shift to direct the youngens out of the vicinity.  But roads were closed by the armed soliders and the youngens didn't want to walk the 2 miles to the nearest open exit. I HAD CAMPAIGN VOLUNTEERING CONNECTIONS- but turned them down due to this thing- thinking I'd be closer.  But overall a very good experience-  the tradeoff was my being able to hear Lisa Ling, Doris Kearns Goodwin (historian for those that don't know), Desmond Tutu, Colin Powell, Al Gore and various others speak live.  Powell was incredibly moving.  Incredible experience.     
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King