3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 419554 times)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #7480 on: December 16, 2008, 08:43:47 AM »
aye wonder who rahm emmanuel thought would best replace him in his former position...come to think of it...aye wonder who he thought would be best to replace obama?

things with which we aren't always privy...

...can't wait to find out... ;)

let the transparency begin!

If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7481 on: December 16, 2008, 10:17:30 AM »
well, to each his own. Offensive? yeah. Malicious? no. Funny? I guess it depends on who you ask.

It was a bit over the top I must say.

I've shaken the man's hand on a couple of different occasions and he's never fumbled around to find my hand.  Political comedy is most funny when it's actually TRUE. 
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7482 on: December 16, 2008, 12:08:45 PM »
Exactly.  And it was offensive enough for Paterson to issue a statement about it:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/15/gov-paterson-blasts-snl-skit-ridiculed-physically-disabled/

Alci!  Fox News?  There was a perfectly good article in the Times!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7483 on: December 16, 2008, 01:02:16 PM »
well, to each his own. Offensive? yeah. Malicious? no. Funny? I guess it depends on who you ask.

I've shaken the man's hand on a couple of different occasions and he's never fumbled around to find my hand.  Political comedy is most funny when it's actually TRUE. 

The clip being "over the top" was, I think, the point.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: December 16, 2008, 02:22:23 PM »
...wow...imagine caroline kennedy as a senator in ny...things will actually get done now...hiliary is on her way to the career graveyard of politicians and ny may actually have some help with this go getter kennedy...

aye hope patterson appoints her...she would be great..

...any animosity hiliary has for caroline is unfounded...and may aye remind hiliary supporters that hiliary's own experience is somewhat lax...after all...she was a first lady...never got higher than a sophomore in the senate and has been on the campaign trail since "day one" in albany...her tenure in ny was uneventful.

good riddance, hiliary...

and her supporters should begin finding another more qualified person to support...give it up...hiliary is in the proverbial "political hospice" now...

clinton has record accomplishment that far exceed that of caroline kennedy, including winning couple senate elections.  being child of former president no more "accomplishment" than being spouse of one.

but oh, that right:  you like pretend like democrats so then can seem credible when decide trash them.  it not working, sparky.  ever hear term "concern troll"?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7485 on: December 16, 2008, 02:44:33 PM »

I don't think it was really over the top.  Paterson isn't at all bumbling and clumsy.  The impression made fun of his blindness qua blindness, not of the way it makes him actually act.  But YMMV.

I did think the line about the Richard Pryor movie plot was pretty hilarious.  I love my black, blind, cocaine-snorting, swinging governor!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7486 on: December 16, 2008, 06:34:30 PM »
Political comedy is most funny when it's actually TRUE. 

Exactly.

Exactly.  And it was offensive enough for Paterson to issue a statement about it:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/15/gov-paterson-blasts-snl-skit-ridiculed-physically-disabled/

Alci!  Fox News?  There was a perfectly good article in the Times!

Lol I knew someone was going to say something about that.  I was going to post the original Yahoo story I saw, but when I googled, I thought this story was objectively better :P.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7487 on: December 16, 2008, 07:12:11 PM »

I don't think it was really over the top.  Paterson isn't at all bumbling and clumsy.  The impression made fun of his blindness qua blindness, not of the way it makes him actually act.  But YMMV.

I did think the line about the Richard Pryor movie plot was pretty hilarious.  I love my black, blind, cocaine-snorting, swinging governor!

That part did get a small chuckle outta me but I think it went just a touch too far overall.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7488 on: December 16, 2008, 07:22:29 PM »
 :o :o :o :o  Clearly, a lot has happened on this thread since exam season began!  WITW was going on with the guy talking about suicide?!?!  Oh my!
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: December 17, 2008, 05:34:10 PM »
:o :o :o :o  Clearly, a lot has happened on this thread since exam season began!  WITW was going on with the guy talking about suicide?!?!  Oh my!

That's what happens when you go to take finals.  Blink and you miss a whole episode.  LOL
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston