3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 423037 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #7190 on: November 22, 2008, 04:20:26 PM »
Didn't Gov. Patterson express interest in the senate seat?

No.  Actually, the only thing he's said about it is that he is NOT going to appoint himself because there's too much work left to be done here.  He did say that something like a dozen people (ten, maybe?) have approached him to say they're up for the job.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: November 22, 2008, 05:18:52 PM »
Yes I suppose that's all true, but I'd still be careful if I were Obama.  He's going to have to be the boss.  I do think it's a smart move on her part...doubt she'd get much more by staying in the Senate.

You don't think her virtual lifetime seat in the Senate would have gotten her more?   I think she could have been a Moynihan-like figure. 

That's what I was thinking at first too...that she shouldn't give up her seat.  But she's done the Senate thing now for several years, and she'd still be only 1 out of 100 senators.  She'll be the only SoS and will have the opportunity to shape our foreign policy.  And it's certainly a more high-profile position.  So yeah I think it's smart.  And when she tires of it/is forced to resign, she can work for Bill's foundation or whatever until 2016.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: November 23, 2008, 12:04:39 AM »
...had a congab with the governor's wife the other day...aye think he is probably going to remain as governor... ;)

...and hiliary will make a great s.o.state...that will be poetic justice.

...gates good...condi??? good too. :)
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: November 23, 2008, 12:13:16 AM »
...had a congab with the governor's wife the other day...aye think he is probably going to remain as governor... ;)

A confab?  Heh.

Yes, this is public news.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: November 23, 2008, 12:15:52 AM »
Why?  It's basically making the Clintons our international face.

This is a page out of Don Corleon's book...keep you friends close and your enemies even closer.

A. It makes Clinton an official part of the Obama administration, thereby precluding her from a 2012 run against him.
B. Additionally, it fortifies his run in 2012 by securing the 18M Hillary voters who, even if they're not over their bitterness that Hillary lost by that time, will be voting to keep their girl in her high office position.
C. And to that end, it's a conciliatory move for the Democratic party.
D. If he hadn't offered her the highest cabinet position, he'd be dropping a seed of further resentment now that would metastasize into insurmountable trouble 4 years from now.
E. Even though it makes her the international representative, she is the international representative of the Obama administration.  (The world leaders are very much aware of who the President is)
F. If it doesn't work, she can be fired.  ;D

Hey, gotta give the man credit. He didn't get this far by playing checkers. This guy plays chess.

Yes I suppose that's all true, but I'd still be careful if I were Obama.  He's going to have to be the boss.  I do think it's a smart move on her part...doubt she'd get much more by staying in the Senate.

You're both right.  But I definitely agree with A. that Obama has to be careful that HRC doesn't outstage him.  Fact is, I have lost a great deal of respect for the Clintons after some of their shenanigans during the campaign.  I'm not sure that HRC can play second fiddle to Obama, but I suppose we'll see soon enough.
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: November 23, 2008, 12:25:38 AM »

A confab?  Heh.

Yes, this is public news.

um...no...a congab...big difference.. :)

now it is public news...but he is a politician...and well...you know how they make promises...

just to confirm.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: November 23, 2008, 12:35:10 AM »
Qu'est-ce que c'est?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: November 23, 2008, 12:46:52 AM »
un "congab" doit faire avec guinness et conversation… vous faites les maths…

un "confab" est abréviation une conversation occasionnelle… rien à faire avec guinness…

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: November 23, 2008, 12:55:03 AM »
You can take the quiz here. I scored 78.79%.  >:( --mostly tax questions.
-------------
US officials flunk test of Amerian history, economics, civics
Thursday, November 20 07:24 pm

US elected officials scored abysmally on a test measuring their civic knowledge, with an average grade of just 44 percent, the group that organized the exam said Thursday. Skip related content

Ordinary citizens did not fare much better, scoring just 49 percent correct on the 33 exam questions compiled by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI).

"It is disturbing enough that the general public failed ISI's civic literacy test, but when you consider the even more dismal scores of elected officials, you have to be concerned," said Josiah Bunting, chairman of the National Civic Literacy Board at ISI.

"How can political leaders make informed decisions if they don't understand the American experience?" he added.

The exam questions covered American history, the workings of the US government and economics.

Among the questions asked of some 2,500 people who were randomly selected to take the test, including "self-identified elected officials," was one which asked respondents to "name two countries that were our enemies during World War II."

Sixty-nine percent of respondents correctly identified Germany and Japan. Among the incorrect answers were Britain, China, Russia, Canada, Mexico and Spain.

Forty percent of respondents, meanwhile, incorrectly believed that the US president has the power to declare war, while 54 percent correctly answered that that power rests with Congress.

Asked about the electoral college, 20 percent of elected officials incorrectly said it was established to "supervise the first televised presidential debates."

In fact, the system of choosing the US president via an indirect electoral college vote dates back some 220 years, to the US Constitution.

The question that received the fewest correct responses, just 16 percent, tested respondents' basic understanding of economic principles, asking why "free markets typically secure more economic prosperity than government's centralized planning?"

Activities that dull Americans' civic knowledge include talking on the phone and watching movies or television -- even news shows and documentaries, ISI said.

Meanwhile, civic knowledge is enhanced by discussing public affairs, taking part in civic activities and reading about current events and history, the group said.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20081120/tod-us-officials-flunk-test-of-amerian-h-f62056d.html
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: November 23, 2008, 12:59:45 AM »
Avec Guinness?  A chacun son gout, je suppose.