3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 428274 times)

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #7180 on: November 22, 2008, 12:05:52 AM »
Umm Alci-  trying to make a point with the 2 options of:   Yes, but only as part of a larger bailout  ???
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: November 22, 2008, 12:07:04 AM »
<----not happy about the HRC as s of s, BTW.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: November 22, 2008, 12:13:29 AM »
Umm Alci-  trying to make a point with the 2 options of:   Yes, but only as part of a larger bailout  ???

Nah just an oversight.

Me neither, but we'll see how it goes.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: November 22, 2008, 01:20:52 AM »
That was probably my greatest success in what has been a terribly long week. :D
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: November 22, 2008, 11:17:41 AM »

Nah just an oversight.

Me neither, but we'll see how it goes.

I'm tellin ya'll, it must be done.  It's a necessary evil.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7185 on: November 22, 2008, 11:52:05 AM »
Why?  It's basically making the Clintons our international face.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: November 22, 2008, 12:38:14 PM »
Why?  It's basically making the Clintons our international face.

This is a page out of Don Corleon's book...keep you friends close and your enemies even closer.

A. It makes Clinton an official part of the Obama administration, thereby precluding her from a 2012 run against him.
B. Additionally, it fortifies his run in 2012 by securing the 18M Hillary voters who, even if they're not over their bitterness that Hillary lost by that time, will be voting to keep their girl in her high office position.
C. And to that end, it's a conciliatory move for the Democratic party.
D. If he hadn't offered her the highest cabinet position, he'd be dropping a seed of further resentment now that would metastasize into insurmountable trouble 4 years from now.
E. Even though it makes her the international representative, she is the international representative of the Obama administration.  (The world leaders are very much aware of who the President is)
F. If it doesn't work, she can be fired.  ;D

Hey, gotta give the man credit. He didn't get this far by playing checkers. This guy plays chess.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: November 22, 2008, 12:49:23 PM »
Yes I suppose that's all true, but I'd still be careful if I were Obama.  He's going to have to be the boss.  I do think it's a smart move on her part...doubt she'd get much more by staying in the Senate.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: November 22, 2008, 01:42:53 PM »
Yes I suppose that's all true, but I'd still be careful if I were Obama.  He's going to have to be the boss.  I do think it's a smart move on her part...doubt she'd get much more by staying in the Senate.

You don't think her virtual lifetime seat in the Senate would have gotten her more?   I think she could have been a Moynihan-like figure.  But I could be wrong.  And I'm looking forward to the drama of the selection for her vacant seat, suffering, as I am, from election withdrawal.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: November 22, 2008, 03:49:05 PM »
Didn't Gov. Patterson express interest in the senate seat?
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.