3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 419736 times)

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #6910 on: November 04, 2008, 02:39:26 AM »
Took off a few days- Someone please tell me why I volunteered for the Obama campaign in two different states.   ???

Having fun though.  Lots of good people out here.  A lot of work still to do.  I'm beat but wired.  Barely coherent.  Fortunately, I volunteered mostly in heavy Obama territory- canvassing (knocking on doors).  Not a whole lotta convincing that I had to do. Rough neighborhood but very nice people that couldn’t get over the fact that I had a NY accent (only time someone as ever told me that! Most people say I don’t have one).  It was an area that politicians seemed to have forgotten about but shouldn’t be discounted.  Not to sound preachy but this place was full of nice hard working people trying to catch a break but couldn’t.     

Obama actually called and had the volunteers on a conference call.

Phone banking-  good thing I'm used to gettting the brush off formerly working as a real estate agent.  The phone banking thing had us calling all types of folks including McCain supporters. 

What's pissing me the hell off:  Someone's out there saying that "Democrats must vote on November 5th"  My own dad thought that until I screamed at him over the phone!  WTF, that's just disgusting!

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: November 04, 2008, 02:48:36 AM »
Took off a few days- Someone please tell me why I volunteered for the Obama campaign in two different states.   ???

Having fun though.  Lots of good people out here.  A lot of work still to do.  I'm beat but wired.  Barely coherent.  Fortunately, I volunteered mostly in heavy Obama territory- canvassing (knocking on doors).  Not a whole lotta convincing that I had to do. Rough neighborhood but very nice people that couldn’t get over the fact that I had a NY accent (only time someone as ever told me that! Most people say I don’t have one).  It was an area that politicians seemed to have forgotten about but shouldn’t be discounted.  Not to sound preachy but this place was full of nice hard working people trying to catch a break but couldn’t.     

Phone banking-  good thing I'm used to gettting the brush off formerly working as a real estate agent.  The phone banking thing had us calling all types of folks including McCain supporters. 

What's pissing me the hell off:  Someone's out there saying that "Democrats must vote on November 5th"  My own dad thought that until I screamed at him over the phone!  WTF, that's just disgusting!

yeah...and independents and pubs are getting calls to say "forget about it...obama already won" :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

msnbc and cnn were telling folks to stay home...obama already won... ;)

...some independents are voting for cynthia mckinney...we have lots of folks going out to vote for her...in philly and miami...
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: November 04, 2008, 02:56:33 AM »

yeah...and independents and pubs are getting calls to say "forget about it...obama already won" :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

...some independents are voting for mckinney...we have lots of folks going out to vote for her...

See as funny (in a sick way) as that may be, I'm for everyone getting their shot to vote.   Even for McBush.  When I did my phone calls, I made sure to include that I was not trying to persuade them or make them donate money...merely trying to make sure they knew where their polling place was, ascertain whether they needed a ride, had proper ID, and answered any other questions they may have had.  Someone took my vote away in 2004 telling me some BS about doing a provisional ballot because my name wasn't on the list since a "person cannot register where they go to school"  Man, of course one can! 

[So my volunteering 4 years later is my form of revenge.. yep, I'm still bitter and proud of it  ;) :D]     
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: November 04, 2008, 03:01:27 AM »

...some independents are voting for mckinney...we have lots of folks going out to vote for her...

See as funny (in a sick way) as that may be, I'm for everyone getting their shot to vote.   Even for McBush.  When I did my phone calls, I made sure to include that I was not trying to persuade them or make them donate money...merely trying to make sure they knew where their polling place was, ascertain whether they needed a ride, had proper ID, and answered any other questions they may have had.  Someone took my vote away in 2004 telling me some BS about doing a provisional ballot because my name wasn't on the list since a "person cannot register where they go to school"  Man, of course one can! 

[So my volunteering 4 years later is my form of revenge.. yep, I'm still bitter and proud of it  ;) :D]     

who is mcbush...do you mean mckinney?  we have many folks voting for her in philly and miami....

...as an indigo...aye have always put my time in...my effort ended the first week in june...now aye am enjoying watching this thing play out...

our indigo influence is strong...no one has ever taken my vote away from me...you have to ask questions...some write in votes aye have done as well...

...hope you are voting for mckinney...she is really sticking to the green party agenda...so many have swung her way...
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: November 04, 2008, 06:16:45 AM »
And today is the day!  Off to try to beat the lines...

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6915 on: November 04, 2008, 10:29:07 AM »
Stood in line for two hours...in the cold rain.  But it was worth it!

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: November 04, 2008, 10:47:23 AM »
I don't know whether to be happy or disappointed that I was able to vote in less than 5 mins.  I came like I had packed for a day trip, and there wasn't even a line.  :P
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: November 04, 2008, 12:08:21 PM »
bastards.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: November 04, 2008, 12:27:40 PM »
Our polling location opened at 7AM.  I got there around 7:45 and there was a line down the block and around the corner that looked to be hours long.  Skipped the line and walked my absentee ballot inside.  Took me about 10 minutes in total. 

I'm excited to tell my (future) children that I was a part, however small, of this incredible day.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #6919 on: November 04, 2008, 01:51:46 PM »

who is mcbush...do you mean mckinney?  we have many folks voting for her in philly and miami....

...as an indigo...aye have always put my time in...my effort ended the first week in june...now aye am enjoying watching this thing play out...

our indigo influence is strong...no one has ever taken my vote away from me...you have to ask questions...some write in votes aye have done as well...

...hope you are voting for mckinney...she is really sticking to the green party agenda...so many have swung her way...

LOL. Why in the hell would I vote for McKinney but volunteer on the Obama campaign? ??? ???  No way am I voting for her or any other 3rd party candidate for that matter.  I guess maybe I haven't expressed my opinions as strongly as others on this board but let me be clear-  I'm on the extreme left (pro choice, pro gay rights, anti Iraq war, pro voter protection, scared as hell of what's gonna happen to SCOTUS if a Repube  ;) gets in; hate Fox, think CNN is weak, and MSNBC's Keith Olbermann is my new husband and I adore Rachel Maddow & miss Dan Abrams) but not so extreme that I'm gonna throw my vote away on a 3rd party candidate.  I've looked into her but there's a few things that I'm just not feeling.  My only draw to McKinney was her insistence on looking into the fraud of the Bush election.  I'm turned off to her now.  So let me amend my classification then- I'm on the extreme intellectual left & Obamamaniac.         

McCain = "McBush"

I don't know whether to be happy or disappointed that I was able to vote in less than 5 mins.  I came like I had packed for a day trip, and there wasn't even a line.  :P

LOL me too.  Had food, books, etc.  Took me about 5 mins.