3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 427528 times)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #6890 on: November 02, 2008, 11:36:13 PM »
independents see this and believe it...it is called having a history and having experience. period..

enough, obama non sense...enough "cult of personality" hype...

enough!

GREENWICH TIME

Our choice for president:

Article Launched: 11/02/2008

On January 20, 2009, one man will stand on the steps of the Capitol and take an oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America.

We believe that man should be John McCain.

Senator McCain is a patriot and war hero; an experienced, tireless public servant; and a man committed to the ideals that make this country unique in the world.

That said, we must admit that this decision was not an easy one, and that our choice to endorse Mr. McCain was not a unanimous decision among the members of our editorial board. But after a long and spirited discussion, the majority chose to go with Mr. McCain, whose experience and character are what this country needs in these dangerous and uncertain times.

It is important to note, however, that though some prefer Sen. Barack Obama, we all agree that Mr. McCain is a man of many profound attributes, who has the potential to be an exceptional president.

John McCain's opinions were formed through a deep relationship with his country, a proud family tradition of service and a belief that whatever its faults, America remains the best hope of the world - a shrine of freedom and democracy that is worthy of all his efforts to protect and defend.

Sen. McCain knows the dangers that lurk both in the halls of government and in the less dignified trenches of combat, and has personally endured five years of intense suffering in an enemy prison as well as the wrath of fellow lawmakers.

Yet, he is not an angry or hostile man. Rather, he has found ways to work with reasonable people of other opinions and ideologies, while making no bones about holding unreasonable people strictly accountable for their actions.
We believe that as president he will strive for an America where every citizen has the right to be free - free to succeed personally and professionally; free of fear that our enemies are gaining strength on us; free of unnecessary government and overburdensome taxes.

We believe he will be forceful against threats such as that of a nuclear Iran and pursue relentlessly the terrorists who wish to see America fall. Domestically, we feel that as president John McCain will strike a strong balance between needed social programs and the free market economy that - despite its current hiccup - remains the best path to greater prosperity and better lives for all Americans.

Sen. McCain has been painted a direct inheritor to the current administration, but we think he is far from that. John McCain has the independence, ability and will to be a strong, effective president, bringing positive change and a brighter future to this country.

Likewise, we have praise for his opponent in Tuesday's presidential election, Barack Obama, a man whose candidacy has already elevated this nation. Should he win on Tuesday, the racial strife that has threaded its way though our history will not suddenly come to an end. But he will stand as a beacon of what's best in us, and serve as an inspiration to all Americans.

But Senator Obama is more than a symbol. He, too, is a dedicated public servant and a man of considerable wisdom. He has energized many people in this country and given them hope.

However, the majority of the editorial board does not believe he has well enough defined what his presidency would truly mean for America. He has not offered enough plausible specifics to back up his campaign mantra of "Change."

As president, Mr. Obama says he would not raise taxes on 95 percent of Americans, yet allowing the current tax structure to expire would in fact raise taxes for millions.

His position on energy - that he has "not ruled out" nuclear power or might support "limited" offshore oil exploration - is mired in maybes and does nothing to reassure us that he understands the critical need to assure America's energy future.

Additionally, we are concerned that the election of Barack Obama would further empower Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to advance a liberal agenda that is much too far to the left for most Americans.

Finally, one caveat to our McCain endorsement. Throughout a long and distinguished career, the senator time and again has proved himself to be a man who puts principle above politics, one willing to sacrifice power in order to do the right thing. We believe he is still that man, however his presidential campaign has not always lived up to that standard.

Should he win, we call on the McCain administration, particularly his running mate, to remember that all of America is "the real America." All Americans are real Americans. It is time for the politics of divide and conquer to end, once and for all.

The editorial board of The Advocate and Greenwich Time struggled with this endorsement, and we feel that Barack Obama has many strong points that would serve him well in the country's highest office. But at this time and in this world, it is John McCain who is the best choice to be president and commander-in-chief. He will, as he always has, serve America well and proudly.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: November 03, 2008, 12:08:37 AM »
I love how you rail against northeastern elites and then print the editorial endorsements of the Greenwich Time and the WSJ.  Obviously, these are papers for rich northeastern elites and they oppose tax increases on the top bracket.  I'm not particularly convinced that your friends in "pennsylvania, florida, ohio, nevada and new hampshire" give a rat's ass how the people of one of the wealthiest cities in the wealthiest state in the union feel about their choices.

Also, if you believe the above-referenced states are going to decide the election, why are you so psyched on ties in must-win Missouri and North Carolina?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: November 03, 2008, 01:22:42 AM »
I love how you rail against northeastern elites and then print the editorial endorsements of the Greenwich Time and the WSJ.  Obviously, these are papers for rich northeastern elites and they oppose tax increases on the top bracket.  I'm not particularly convinced that your friends in "pennsylvania, florida, ohio, nevada and new hampshire" give a rat's ass how the people of one of the wealthiest cities in the wealthiest state in the union feel about their choices.

Also, if you believe the above-referenced states are going to decide the election, why are you so psyched on ties in must-win Missouri and North Carolina?

my dear...aye am pointing out the siliness of the media...you seem sooooo obsessed with newspaper endorsements...

you also seem to have bought the "cult of personality" and look for newspapers to back it up...obama is not what he seems...he is all hype...divisive...weak to his party leaders...weak on defense...and to the electorate where it counts...weak on his idea of change which is nothing more than taxes...sorry. :-\

you know what you should believe in...the parallels between obama and macbeth and michelle obama and lady macbeth...start with the betrayal of alice palmer and obama consorting with bill ayers and his past wicked associations...obama is a cursed man...

aye used to support obama...aye switched my support...who cares who the media picks...

the electorate will decide this thing...and no matter how many democrats come out to vote in a democratic state...like ca or ny...

they don't count...

it comes down to penna...flor....ohio...nev... and perhaps something else...

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: November 03, 2008, 01:25:52 AM »

aye am not "psyched"

aye am an indigo independent and am enjoying watching this thing play out...aye don't care who wins...but aye have to show many of you where you have been duped by the "cult of personality"...

...something wicked this way comes...

enter obamacbeth...

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: November 03, 2008, 01:41:46 AM »
Did I mention it took me 7hours and 15mins to vote on Friday?

you voted?  :o
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: November 03, 2008, 01:48:01 AM »
i wish they'd bring back poll tests for people like blue. I rather you were drunk, behind the wheel of an Kia than with a ballot. The latter is much more dangerous.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: November 03, 2008, 03:12:01 AM »
Pretty touching --

My wife made me canvas for Obama; here's what I learned
This election is not about major policies. It's about hope.
By Jonathan Curley

from the November 3, 2008 edition

Charlotte, N.C. - There has been a lot of speculation that Barack Obama might win the election due to his better "ground game" and superior campaign organization.

I had the chance to view that organization up close this month when I canvassed for him. I'm not sure I learned much about his chances, but I learned a lot about myself and about this election.

Let me make it clear: I'm pretty conservative. I grew up in the suburbs. I voted for George H.W. Bush twice, and his son once. I was disappointed when Bill Clinton won, and disappointed he couldn't run again.

I encouraged my son to join the military. I was proud of him in Afghanistan, and happy when he came home, and angry when he was recalled because of the invasion of Iraq. I'm white, 55, I live in the South and I'm definitely going to get a bigger tax bill if Obama wins.

I am the dreaded swing voter.

So you can imagine my surprise when my wife suggested we spend a Saturday morning canvassing for Obama. I have never canvassed for any candidate. But I did, of course, what most middle-aged married men do: what I was told.

At the Obama headquarters, we stood in a group to receive our instructions. I wasn't the oldest, but close, and the youngest was maybe in high school. I watched a campaign organizer match up a young black man who looked to be college age with a white guy about my age to canvas together. It should not have been a big thing, but the beauty of the image did not escape me.

Instead of walking the tree-lined streets near our home, my wife and I were instructed to canvass a housing project. A middle-aged white couple with clipboards could not look more out of place in this predominantly black neighborhood.

We knocked on doors and voices from behind carefully locked doors shouted, "Who is it?"

"We're from the Obama campaign," we'd answer. And just like that doors opened and folks with wide smiles came out on the porch to talk.

Grandmothers kept one hand on their grandchildren and made sure they had all the information they needed for their son or daughter to vote for the first time.

Young people came to the door rubbing sleep from their eyes to find out where they could vote early, to make sure their vote got counted.

We knocked on every door we could find and checked off every name on our list. We did our job, but Obama may not have been the one who got the most out of the day's work.

I learned in just those three hours that this election is not about what we think of as the "big things."

It's not about taxes. I'm pretty sure mine are going to go up no matter who is elected.

It's not about foreign policy. I think we'll figure out a way to get out of Iraq and Afghanistan no matter which party controls the White House, mostly because the people who live there don't want us there anymore.

I don't see either of the candidates as having all the answers.

I've learned that this election is about the heart of America. It's about the young people who are losing hope and the old people who have been forgotten. It's about those who have worked all their lives and never fully realized the promise of America, but see that promise for their grandchildren in Barack Obama. The poor see a chance, when they often have few. I saw hope in the eyes and faces in those doorways.

My wife and I went out last weekend to knock on more doors. But this time, not because it was her idea. I don't know what it's going to do for the Obama campaign, but it's doing a lot for me.

Jonathan Curley is a banker. He voted for George H.W. Bush twice and George W. Bush once.

Find this article at:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/1103/p09s02-coop.html
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: November 03, 2008, 07:25:58 AM »
^^ Aww....that was touching!!!!  Thanks for sharing.

I should have been bookmarking all these great articles throughout this election season though...   :-\
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: November 03, 2008, 09:29:58 AM »
Oh, P.  Let's see how things stand tomorrow.  All of today's polls aren't even in...and they're weekend polls to boot.

Like I said, P :):

Barack Obama's position has become somewhat stronger since our update this afternoon. We now have him with a 5.8 point lead in the national popular vote, and winning the election 96.3 percent of the time. Earlier today, those figures were 5.4 and 93.7, respectively.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/11/todays-polls-3-am-edition-113.html

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6899 on: November 03, 2008, 09:55:39 AM »
Did I mention it took me 7hours and 15mins to vote on Friday?

you voted?  :o

yeah I went ahead and voted..there were some local elections I wanted to voice my displeasure with.