3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 425879 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #5320 on: July 25, 2008, 09:30:53 PM »
That really sucks for his dying wife.  Can't he just hold it together until she's in the ground?  sheesh
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: July 26, 2008, 10:47:52 PM »
Fox News is confirming Edwardsgate:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,391426,00.html

::) LOL, of course Fox picks it up.  What a joke.

Nah, far better choices for that.  Probably AG at most, but even that's obviously out now...

agreed
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: July 26, 2008, 11:31:04 PM »
richardson...webb...or rendell...that's it.

...and if more info floats out that obama will make hiliary the ag or scj...problems :-[

...over-posturing...over-exposure??? be careful...pride comes before the fall.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: July 26, 2008, 11:40:46 PM »
The case for international justice as seen from Darfur
As told to Susan Elderkin

Published: July 26 2008 02:00 | Last updated: July 26 2008 02:00

Ahmed – not his real name – is a Sudanese interpreter for the International Criminal Court, working on its investigation into alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity in Darfur.

I’m pleased they’ve issued an arrest warrant for Sudan’s president, Omar al-Bashir. I’ve been to refugee camps in Chad three times as an interpreter for the ICC. I know exactly what evidence they’ve got, and it’s strong. But it’ll take time. For now it’s just talking.

My first trip to Chad was in 2006. It was the first time I’d been back to Africa since I fled to the UK as an asylum-seeker in 2001. I had been tortured, and members of my family were killed. Stepping off the plane in Enjamina, I had mixed emotions. I had never been to Chad before, but it looks pretty much like Darfur – flat and dry. It smelt of my childhood – dry grass, the smoke from cooking fires. And the people look the same – the men in long white djallabas, the women dressed in reds and oranges and yellows.

I’m from Darfur in western Sudan. The ICC needed people who speak the local languages in Darfur – Zagawa, Fur and Massaliet. I was travelling with a group of investigators – six or seven of them. They were from all over: Australia, Canada, France, Nigeria, Uganda. We never discussed the political situation, or what had happened to me. We had to remain strictly neutral. We talked about football.

We would set up a table and chairs in a temporary building in the refugee camps, or under a tree in the shade. Then we’d collect personal testimonies. We’d work from 11am until 4pm, the hot part of the day. Some of the investigators suffered in the heat, but I didn’t. Some had stomach trouble and had to be flown home. People were telling us things – many bad things. Villages being burnt, people being burned alive, buried alive, women and girls raped in front of their fathers. People being shot.

I could imagine it all because I had seen these things myself. Having to repeat everything I heard, word for word, was almost like experiencing it again. It was very hard. As an interpreter you can’t allow yourself to get emotional. Sometimes I had to ask for a break.

One day, one of the men from my father’s village came. I couldn’t believe how changed he was. The last time I saw him he was strong, upbeat. Now he was thin, grey, quiet; suffering on his face.

He didn’t know who I was. I said: “What happened to you that you can’t even remember my father?” When he remembered, he wept. “Life,” he said. “Life did this to me.”

The second time I was there, I found my mother in one of the camps. I hadn’t even known that she was alive. I gave her money and arranged for her to go back home. Now I speak to her every week on the phone.

Being an asylum-seeker in England was tough – the poverty, the isolation, the constant fear of being sent home. It taught me how to keep strong, not to let my anger come out. If I hadn’t been through this, I wouldn’t have been able to cope in Chad.

If the perpetrators are not brought to justice, it will be a complete failure on the part of the international community. Because so many crimes were committed, and the international community already failed once to protect innocent people.

The ICC gives hope to my people back home.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: July 27, 2008, 12:36:51 AM »
aye will be voting for obama a third time...but one trip to israel is not convincing...one speech is not enough...contrived is more like it...if he had done this trip one year ago and were returning...oi vey...this trip leaves my throat a little "vegh klempt"...but hiliary kept her campaign going on too long...time is not a friend this year.   remember hiliary's speech, "obama will be a friend to israel"...perhaps too little too late.

also, aye am disappointed by the backstroke which obama has now begun...he was against the surge and said it would not work...those were his convictions...he is only now changing his tune...he stuck to his guns on iraq in the beginning...but now that he has won the nomination...he is not holding a backbone like he did in the beginning...even though he was against the war and aye knew he was wrong...at least he stuck with his convictions...mccain sticks to his convictions on national security with regard to iraq and pushed for the surge even though it was not the safe political choice...and mccain not bush was advocating it strongly...it irks me that obama focused on the surge...why isn't he stickig to discussions on the economy? don't talk about the surge, man.

sticking to convictions with regard to national security are a priori...NO BACKSTROKE...it is distressing to see obama wobble.obama wants a rapid timetable for u.s. withdrawal but he leaves out that he means it is conditioned on continuing improvement in the security situation...many americans and our indigo group see through this...it is worrisome....the us cannot afford to lose the gains....

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
  • Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5325 on: July 28, 2008, 09:43:43 PM »
Re: Novak

Brain cancer is the new rehab? Ok, that's offensive. I can see why brain cancer might make him confused/a bad driver.
This was my country
This frightful and this angry land

"I guess she was a hooker, that makes sense, those shorts didn't really look all that comfortable." -Dash

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: July 29, 2008, 10:48:27 AM »
[shaking my head at this one]

Justice Dept. report concludes aides broke law
Finds politics dictated hiring for career jobs

IMPROPER PROCEDURES The inquiry faulted Monica Goodling (left), saying she asked career job applicants about politics and their views on abortion and gay marriage.

By Carrie Johnson
Washington Post / July 29, 2008

WASHINGTON - For nearly two years, a young political aide sought to cultivate a "farm system" for Republicans at the Justice Department, hiring scores of prosecutors and immigration judges who espoused conservative priorities and Christian lifestyle choices.

That aide, Monica M. Goodling, exercised what amounted to veto power over a wide range of critical jobs, asking candidates for their views on abortion and same-sex marriage, and maneuvering around senior officials who outranked her, including the department's second-in-command.

An extensive report by the department's Office of the Inspector General and Office of Professional Responsibility concluded yesterday that Goodling and others had broken civil service laws, run afoul of department policy and engaged in "misconduct," a finding that could expose them to further scrutiny and sanctions. The report depicted Goodling as a central figure in politicizing employment decisions at Justice during the Bush administration.

Goodling declined to cooperate with investigators, who instead interviewed 85 witnesses and scoured documents and computer hard drives to prepare their report. Last year, she trembled as she told the House Judiciary Committee that she "crossed the line" by asking improper questions of job seekers to gauge their political leanings.

But the report and accounts from lawyers who worked alongside Goodling, 34, at the Justice Department provide a far more extensive examination of her dominance during her time as the department's White House liaison and counselor to the attorney general. One source said staff members called her "she who must be obeyed."

Thirty-four candidates told investigators that Goodling or one of her deputies raised the topic of abortion in job interviews and 21 said they discussed same-sex marriage, the report said. Another job applicant said he admired Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, only to watch Goodling "frown" and respond, "But she's prochoice."

Goodling and her aides regularly gave candidates for career civil service jobs a form designed for political appointees that sought information on party affiliation and financial contributions. When job seekers sometimes raised objections, Goodling replied that the form was a mistake, showing that she was "aware that it was improper," the report said.

John M. Dowd, a lawyer for Goodling, said yesterday that his client deserved praise, not scorn, for her "exceptional candor" with Congress last year. "Each and every one of the core conclusions of the OIG/OPR report . . . is consistent with and indeed derived from Ms. Goodling's testimony," he said.

The 140-page report appeared to confirm the suspicions of congressional Democrats and raised fresh questions about the reputation of the Justice Department, which has been roiled since the resignations of more than a dozen top officials last year, including Goodling, Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales, and Gonzales's chief of staff, D. Kyle Sampson. The report also found that Sampson had engaged in misconduct by systematically involving politics in the hiring of immigration judges.

Investigators cited discrepancies in information provided by Goodling, Sampson, and former press aide John Nowacki. But they stopped short of concluding that the conduct rose to the level of a criminal violation.

John Conyers Jr., a Michigan Democrat and chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said yesterday that he had directed his staff to consider whether there were grounds to refer allegedly inconsistent statements for possible criminal prosecution. Attorneys for the former Justice Department officials scoffed at the idea, and independent lawyers following the case said it was likely that officials who had left the department would face only ethics inquiries in connection with breaking civil service laws.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2008/07/29/justice_dept_report_concludes_aides_broke_law/

see also http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/washington/29justice.html?bl&ex=1217476800&en=8f738be5ba496284&ei=5087%0A

A longtime prosecutor who drew rave reviews from his supervisors was passed over for an important counterterrorism slot because his wife was active in Democratic politics, and a much-less-experienced lawyer with Republican leanings got the job, the report said.

Another prosecutor was rejected for a job in part because she was thought to be a lesbian. And a Republican lawyer received high marks at his job interview because he was found to be sufficiently conservative on the core issues of “god, guns + gays.”

The anti-AA crowd has to take severe issue with this situation on General Principle.   ;)

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: July 29, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: July 29, 2008, 03:20:04 PM »
[shaking my head at this one]

Justice Dept. report concludes aides broke law
Finds politics dictated hiring for career jobs

IMPROPER PROCEDURES The inquiry faulted Monica Goodling (left), saying she asked career job applicants about politics and their views on abortion and gay marriage.

By Carrie Johnson
Washington Post / July 29, 2008

WASHINGTON - For nearly two years, a young political aide sought to cultivate a "farm system" for Republicans at the Justice Department, hiring scores of prosecutors and immigration judges who espoused conservative priorities and Christian lifestyle choices.

That aide, Monica M. Goodling, exercised what amounted to veto power over a wide range of critical jobs, asking candidates for their views on abortion and same-sex marriage, and maneuvering around senior officials who outranked her, including the department's second-in-command.

An extensive report by the department's Office of the Inspector General and Office of Professional Responsibility concluded yesterday that Goodling and others had broken civil service laws, run afoul of department policy and engaged in "misconduct," a finding that could expose them to further scrutiny and sanctions. The report depicted Goodling as a central figure in politicizing employment decisions at Justice during the Bush administration.

Goodling declined to cooperate with investigators, who instead interviewed 85 witnesses and scoured documents and computer hard drives to prepare their report. Last year, she trembled as she told the House Judiciary Committee that she "crossed the line" by asking improper questions of job seekers to gauge their political leanings.

But the report and accounts from lawyers who worked alongside Goodling, 34, at the Justice Department provide a far more extensive examination of her dominance during her time as the department's White House liaison and counselor to the attorney general. One source said staff members called her "she who must be obeyed."

Thirty-four candidates told investigators that Goodling or one of her deputies raised the topic of abortion in job interviews and 21 said they discussed same-sex marriage, the report said. Another job applicant said he admired Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, only to watch Goodling "frown" and respond, "But she's prochoice."

Goodling and her aides regularly gave candidates for career civil service jobs a form designed for political appointees that sought information on party affiliation and financial contributions. When job seekers sometimes raised objections, Goodling replied that the form was a mistake, showing that she was "aware that it was improper," the report said.

John M. Dowd, a lawyer for Goodling, said yesterday that his client deserved praise, not scorn, for her "exceptional candor" with Congress last year. "Each and every one of the core conclusions of the OIG/OPR report . . . is consistent with and indeed derived from Ms. Goodling's testimony," he said.

The 140-page report appeared to confirm the suspicions of congressional Democrats and raised fresh questions about the reputation of the Justice Department, which has been roiled since the resignations of more than a dozen top officials last year, including Goodling, Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales, and Gonzales's chief of staff, D. Kyle Sampson. The report also found that Sampson had engaged in misconduct by systematically involving politics in the hiring of immigration judges.

Investigators cited discrepancies in information provided by Goodling, Sampson, and former press aide John Nowacki. But they stopped short of concluding that the conduct rose to the level of a criminal violation.

John Conyers Jr., a Michigan Democrat and chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said yesterday that he had directed his staff to consider whether there were grounds to refer allegedly inconsistent statements for possible criminal prosecution. Attorneys for the former Justice Department officials scoffed at the idea, and independent lawyers following the case said it was likely that officials who had left the department would face only ethics inquiries in connection with breaking civil service laws.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2008/07/29/justice_dept_report_concludes_aides_broke_law/

see also http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/washington/29justice.html?bl&ex=1217476800&en=8f738be5ba496284&ei=5087%0A

A longtime prosecutor who drew rave reviews from his supervisors was passed over for an important counterterrorism slot because his wife was active in Democratic politics, and a much-less-experienced lawyer with Republican leanings got the job, the report said.

Another prosecutor was rejected for a job in part because she was thought to be a lesbian. And a Republican lawyer received high marks at his job interview because he was found to be sufficiently conservative on the core issues of “god, guns + gays.”

The anti-AA crowd has to take severe issue with this situation on General Principle. ;)

all this fairly clear months ago.  hopefully obama administration willing pursue prosecutions on this and other fronts.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: July 29, 2008, 10:48:46 PM »
8 Darfur rebels sentenced to death by Sudan court
By SARAH EL DEEB – 5 hours ago

KHARTOUM, Sudan (AP) — Eight Darfur rebels were found guilty and sentenced to death Tuesday for their roles in a bold assault on government soldiers near the Sudanese capital that killed more than 200 people, including dozens of civilians.

Another defendant was acquitted and a 10th was referred to a juvenile court because he was under age, said al-Dukhri Ali Morkaz, the head of the rebels' defense team. Morkaz said he would appeal the guilty verdicts handed down by a specially convened terrorism court in Khartoum.

Hundreds of fighters from the Justice and Equality Movement, which has emerged as one of the most powerful Darfur rebel groups, staged the attack on Khartoum's twin city, Omdurman, on May 10.

The rebels were repelled, but Sudanese were shocked by the assault, which happened hundreds of miles from rebel bases in the west. The raid was the closest that Darfur's rebels have gotten to the seat of the government.

Sudan's defense minister said after the attack that 93 soldiers and 13 policemen died in the fighting along with 30 civilians. The bodies of at least 90 rebel also were found.

The verdicts Tuesday were the first since around 40 people went on trial in June on charges of waging war against the state, inciting hatred, possessing guns and belonging to an outlawed group. They are also accused of using official military uniforms and terrorizing civilians, Morkaz said.

Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir has pardoned about 90 juveniles arrested after the attack. They are due to be released within two weeks. It is not clear how many more remain in detention.

JEM spokesman Ahmed Hussain denied the children were enrolled as fighters in the rebel group, and he described the four specially convened terrorism courts conducting the trials as unconstitutional.

The verdicts came two weeks after al-Bashir was charged by an international prosecutor with genocide and war crimes for his alleged role in the Darfur crisis.

Thirty other suspects in the May attack, including a senior JEM member, remain on trial. When the proceedings began in June, defense lawyers walked out, saying they were denied access to their defendants. The court then assigned a legal defense team.

JEM has emerged as the most effective rebel group in Darfur, where ethnic Africans took up arms against the Arab-dominated government in 2003 to fight discrimination.

Al-Bashir's government is accused of launching a punishing response and unleashing militia fighters who have carried out atrocities.

The United Nations estimates up to 300,000 people have died from the war and more than 2.7 million have been displaced. A U.N. peacekeeping force is trying to deploy in Darfur, but it has only about 9,500 soldiers and has been unable to improve the situation.

JEM said in a May statement said the attack on Omdurman was meant to draw attention to the bloody stalemate and encourage negotiations to resolve the crisis.