3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 425342 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #4830 on: June 05, 2008, 02:10:54 PM »
My understanding is that Clinton is suspending the campaign -- meaning no ads, cutting staff to the core, etc. -- but that she still plans to woo superdelegates, even some who have recently committed for Obama.  You know, the "electability" argument.  She's also going forward with the credentials fight.

As for the bolded in the article, I realize it was witten by the Times and not Clinton, so she may have another take on these things, but still -- doesn't the fact that this chorus of leaders asking her to quit only really hit her directly this week belie Bill Clinton's claims that the party elders had unified against her in some unprecedented way?  Of course there were people calling for her to quit earlier, but there were people calling for losing candidates to quit in almost every other primary too.

O R LY?   :o
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: June 05, 2008, 02:14:48 PM »
My understanding is that Clinton is suspending the campaign -- meaning no ads, cutting staff to the core, etc. -- but that she still plans to woo superdelegates, even some who have recently committed for Obama.  You know, the "electability" argument.  She's also going forward with the credentials fight.

As for the bolded in the article, I realize it was witten by the Times and not Clinton, so she may have another take on these things, but still -- doesn't the fact that this chorus of leaders asking her to quit only really hit her directly this week belie Bill Clinton's claims that the party elders had unified against her in some unprecedented way?  Of course there were people calling for her to quit earlier, but there were people calling for losing candidates to quit in almost every other primary too.

O R LY?   :o

Well, these may just be the hopes of her more delusional supporters, but I wouldn't rule them out.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: June 05, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
My understanding is that Clinton is suspending the campaign -- meaning no ads, cutting staff to the core, etc. -- but that she still plans to woo superdelegates, even some who have recently committed for Obama. You know, the "electability" argument. She's also going forward with the credentials fight.

As for the bolded in the article, I realize it was witten by the Times and not Clinton, so she may have another take on these things, but still -- doesn't the fact that this chorus of leaders asking her to quit only really hit her directly this week belie Bill Clinton's claims that the party elders had unified against her in some unprecedented way? Of course there were people calling for her to quit earlier, but there were people calling for losing candidates to quit in almost every other primary too.

if this true, then what significance of upcoming announcement?  it not like there any more primaries or caucuses organize.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: June 05, 2008, 03:40:01 PM »
I always say to do the opposite of what Bob Johnson says:

Robert L. Johnson, the founder of Black Entertainment Television and a leading contributor to Mrs. Clinton, urged members of the Congressional Black Caucus to lobby Mr. Obama to pick Mrs. Clinton. Mr. Johnson said he had spoken to Mrs. Clinton and was speaking with her permission.

“We need to have the certainty of winning,” Mr. Johnson wrote in the letter on Wednesday. “And I believe, without question, that Barack Obama as president and Hillary Clinton as vice president bring that certainty to the ticket.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/05/us/politics/05dems.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&hp

like aye said above...this obama/clinton ticket would be a dreadful mistake...obama is too smart to listen to b.job.johnson...he probably ignores b.j. the way some of you ignore me...but he does it for real... ;)...more than likely obama will pick richardson for the v.p. slot.

and does anyone talk to buster fern on this fine thread? ...sorry that he thinks posting in response to me is acceptable...aye'll keep him steppin and out of here. ;)

some of us?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: June 05, 2008, 03:44:50 PM »
if this true, then what significance of upcoming announcement?  it not like there any more primaries or caucuses organize.

The significance of the upcoming announcement is that she gets to look gracious and reasonable, and make public the demands she has of the party (health insurance mandates, I'd imagine, for one), while avoiding accusations of being a spoiler/party-divider.  But I do think she will continue to lobby superdelegates to change their votes.  She sincerely believes she is the best and only electable candidate.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: June 05, 2008, 05:00:41 PM »
I actually think Hollywood has made the idea of a black president much more palatable to mainstream America:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/05/black.presidents/index.html

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: June 05, 2008, 07:36:41 PM »
if this true, then what significance of upcoming announcement? it not like there any more primaries or caucuses organize.

The significance of the upcoming announcement is that she gets to look gracious and reasonable, and make public the demands she has of the party (health insurance mandates, I'd imagine, for one), while avoiding accusations of being a spoiler/party-divider. But I do think she will continue to lobby superdelegates to change their votes. She sincerely believes she is the best and only electable candidate.

agreed.  julie's question essentially rhetorical.

julie have no problem with hrc staying in race.  it how she did it julie not like, and not over yet.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: June 05, 2008, 07:39:03 PM »
it how she did it julie not like, and not over yet.

I agree (and usually do agree with Julie).

<--- fine American?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: June 05, 2008, 07:44:55 PM »
you fine american.

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: June 05, 2008, 08:43:19 PM »

The significance of the upcoming announcement is that she gets to look gracious and reasonable, and make public the demands she has of the party (health insurance mandates, I'd imagine, for one), while avoiding accusations of being a spoiler/party-divider.  But I do think she will continue to lobby superdelegates to change their votes.  She sincerely believes she is the best and only electable candidate.

I appreciate the paranoia and skepticism regarding Clinton's motives, but I think she read the writing on the wall yesterday when most of her Congressional Reps told her to give it up. Already the NY and FL delegations which had previously endorsed her are endorsing Obama. There's no way for her to continue to try and lobby these supers at this point in the race, because they all realize there is no more race (and she does as well, finally).
Rising 1L