3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 418819 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #4720 on: June 01, 2008, 09:03:11 AM »
Lol guess who indeed ;)

Can't wait to see this video...

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: June 01, 2008, 09:06:56 AM »
Lol guess who indeed ;)

I guess everyone else is at church. ;)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: June 01, 2008, 11:04:19 AM »
It seems a lot of people were determined to use that church to drag him down, and the reverends weren't terribly considerate of that. 

Indeed, but the preachers shouldn't have been considerate of that--the church is obviously not very PC, and that shouldn't change for Obama (as he recognized).  But while we might not find anything wrong with the non-PC statements, like Obama said in his letter, the media would have kept bringing up whatever supposedly anti-American, racist, etc. sentiments that were expressed anywhere within the church in an attempt to associate those statements with Obama.  The man is trying to win an election and doesn't need that.  Wright, the former pastor of the church, hurt him badly.  The statements made by other preachers and members of the church were starting to hurt him.  Severing ties with the church just seems like a logical way to nip all of this in the bud...because who knows what someone might say close to election time that could deal him a serious blow.

The one unalloyed good to come out of this will be media whores and oppo researchers no longer scouring church bulletins so they can contact sick or unwell church members to dish on Obama. Seriously, how f-ing unamerican is that? Whatever. Has there been the kind of examination of a candidate's religious background like this in recent history? It tops JFK in my opinion. I'd say you have to look to Al Smith in the '28 election for an equivalent hysteria. Ugh.
Rising 1L

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: June 01, 2008, 11:32:37 AM »
I would have thought so before the Wright thing, but now I don't...people will buy whatever the media feed them.

New poll.

You may be right. 

By the way, there's buzz in the crazy corners of the blogosphere that a new video showing Michelle saying something about killing "whitey" will be released Monday.  I'm sure it's complete b.s., but once a story like this goes through the echo chambers, it will be difficult to disprove that she said it even if the video never shows up.  Ugh.

I saw that this morning, and it made my stomach turn.  Ugh, it would give the misogynists on the other side (and yes, they're on both sides,) as well as Republican agent provocateurs even more of a media stage and free reign to spew their haterade.  And you know, the same cretins are going to do the same with Cindy McCain come fall.  The families always end up as collateral damage.

Politics in America just effing sucks.  I really have come to hate it. (How will that sound in my PS this fall? "I'm going to law school because I hate my career - well, not my actual career, just everything about it.")

ETA:  Yay, I'm in the majority (well, of course, only until the trolls find the poll.)
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: June 01, 2008, 11:48:02 AM »
No one snatches defeat from the jaws of victory better than the dumbocrats.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4725 on: June 01, 2008, 12:37:22 PM »
I would have thought so before the Wright thing, but now I don't...people will buy whatever the media feed them.

New poll.

You may be right. 

By the way, there's buzz in the crazy corners of the blogosphere that a new video showing Michelle saying something about killing "whitey" will be released Monday.  I'm sure it's complete b.s., but once a story like this goes through the echo chambers, it will be difficult to disprove that she said it even if the video never shows up.  Ugh.

ETA: lol, guess who.

he'll probably have to divorce Michelle.  ::)
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: June 01, 2008, 12:39:32 PM »
:D

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: June 01, 2008, 01:10:12 PM »
What gets lost in the Trinity debate:

"I am not going to approach this as a political exercise. This is a deeply personal exercise about trying to express your faith. Now, you know Michelle.. our lives are fairly unsettled right now. We don't know how this nomination is going to go. We don't know how the remainder of the election is going to go. I am traveling all the time anyway. So I am gone on Sundays often times. We probably won't make any firm decision on this until January when we know what our lives are going to be like. In the meantime we will visit other churches. There are a number of churches if we are at home in Chicago that I visited in the past. The important thing is I am not going to approach it with the view of figuring out how to avoid political problems. Thatís not the role of church. My -- again what I want to do in church is I want to be able to take Michelle and my girls, sit in a pew quietly, hopefully get some nice music, some good reflection, praise God, thank Him for all of the blessings He has given our family, put some money in the collection plate, maybe afterwards go out and grab some brunch, have my girls go to Sunday school. Thatís what I am looking for."
Rising 1L

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: June 01, 2008, 03:56:43 PM »
my problem with the statement isn't the fact that folks are assuming that she wants Obama killed (i think that may be a stretch honestly) but the timing of it with Ted Kennedy just getting diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor.. i think it was insensitive to make a reference to his family about a tragedy during a time of tragedy..

If the use of the term "assassination" was so outrageous, why did no one peep about this when the same comment appeared in her March interview in Time?  This whole flap is a tempest in a teapot created by Rupert Murdoch's NY Post which originally published a story saying that Clinton had made "a comparison" between RFK and Obama.  The Obama campaign seized that sentence from the Post and sent it out to reporters. (e.g., from the Times: "Shortly after Mrs. Clinton spoke on Friday, the Obama campaign jumped on the story, sending an e-mail message to reporters saying her comment had no place in a presidential campaign. It linked to a online report in The New York Post that said Mrs. Clinton was 'making an odd comparison between the dead candidate and Barack Obama' ó a phrase the newspaper later dropped.")  Later this weekend, as I learned on This Week, the Obama campaign was sending around transcripts of Olbermann's comment while publicly saying that it wanted to just move past this "unfortunate" incident.  I understand why people are sensitive about the topic of political assassination, especially since we may be on the verge of having our first black president, and I am usually the first to criticize Clinton for various dog whistles, but I'm tired of the dishonesty about this. 

FWIW, the Clinton '92 example is a terrible example for a number of reasons, among them that he had the nomination sewn up by mid-March.  It just so happened that California still held its primary in June in '92.  The RFK example was arguably marginally better since there were still multiple viable candidates in the middle of the summer of '68 and historians have argued for years about who would have won if RFK had lived.  Both, obviously, are inapt examples since California now holds its primary in February.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: June 01, 2008, 04:12:49 PM »
::opens door, pats seat next to her, offers soy milk and cookies::

I just saw this  :D
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.