3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 408865 times)

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #4660 on: May 28, 2008, 09:36:31 AM »
It's not that hard to draw that conclusion because she presented those points dichotomously. The Clinton of '92 stayed in, RFK of '68 was shot. Hillary is staying in, Obama........

Overanalyzing much?

I don't think so.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: May 28, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »
It's not that hard to draw that conclusion because she presented those points dichotomously. The Clinton of '92 stayed in, RFK of '68 was shot. Hillary is staying in, Obama........

Overanalyzing much?

I don't think so.

I'm w/ 7S on this one ya'll.  Come on HRC coulda (and did) make other references to campaigns that went ino June.  She has made this RFK reference before but it wasn't really picked up.  People are giving her the benefit of the doubt that, I'm sorry, she really does not deserve.  She IS hoping that some ill would befall him so that she can get in there.  Do I think she wants him dead?  No.  But I do think she hopes that something  will happen-  a huge scandal perhaps.  But honestly, I lost all respect for HRC starting with that LBJ comment and she's just gotten worse.  I honestly think that should he become somehow incapacitated (yep even if he were to be assasinated) she'd literally step right over him to get that spot!  Would not put it past her.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: May 28, 2008, 06:58:49 PM »
It's clear that it would take some catastrophic event or divine intervention for Clinton to get the nomination at this point.  She is probably hoping for it, and this may be the subconscious explanation for the RFK reference.  Staying in the race makes her delusional or narcissistic or both.  That said, she referred to '68 not because it was a particularly great example of a long-contested primary but because RFK's assassination was a landmark event in her life, and one that occurred in the summer and right in the middle of a Democratic contest.  June 6, November 22, April 4, February 21: these are dates that are imprinted on the minds of people of her generation.  She also referred to Bill Clinton's '92 contest because this is another primary that she could discuss without sounding studied or grasping -- since it was her husband's she would be expected to remember the dates.  Psychoanalyze her all you want, but don't pretend that she was actually saying she wanted Obama dead.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: May 28, 2008, 08:55:02 PM »
It's clear that it would take some catastrophic event or divine intervention for Clinton to get the nomination at this point.  She is probably hoping for it, and this may be the subconscious explanation for the RFK reference.  Staying in the race makes her delusional or narcissistic or both.  That said, she referred to '68 not because it was a particularly great example of a long-contested primary but because RFK's assassination was a landmark event in her life, and one that occurred in the summer and right in the middle of a Democratic contest.  June 6, November 22, April 4, February 21: these are dates that are imprinted on the minds of people of her generation.  She also referred to Bill Clinton's '92 contest because this is another primary that she could discuss without sounding studied or grasping -- since it was her husband's she would be expected to remember the dates.  Psychoanalyze her all you want, but don't pretend that she was actually saying she wanted Obama dead.

Probably not. I only mentioned the relationship to say the conclusion is not that hard to draw. It seems the national dialogue has become a bit too comfortable around the assassination issue and that concerns many people considering this nation's past.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: May 29, 2008, 11:32:34 AM »

At this point I wouldn't put it past her (@ bolded).  She is hoping for a catastropic event...that would be catastrophic event.  Her generation?  You're giving HRC way too much credit.  She had plenty to pull from- other races went far into June ('76, I think).  "Assassination" is just not a term that you EVER use if you are a politician running for office.  You just don't say it.  Beat around the bush all you want but that word should not be in her vocab.  And why not just leave it at Bill's race in '92?  That's an excellent example and one that she has personal experience in seeing.  She should have left it at that. 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4665 on: May 29, 2008, 01:43:05 PM »
If the use of the term "assassination" was so outrageous, why did no one peep about this when the same comment appeared in her March interview in Time?  This whole flap is a tempest in a teapot created by Rupert Murdoch's NY Post which originally published a story saying that Clinton had made "a comparison" between RFK and Obama.  The Obama campaign seized that sentence from the Post and sent it out to reporters. (e.g., from the Times: "Shortly after Mrs. Clinton spoke on Friday, the Obama campaign jumped on the story, sending an e-mail message to reporters saying her comment had no place in a presidential campaign. It linked to a online report in The New York Post that said Mrs. Clinton was 'making an odd comparison between the dead candidate and Barack Obama' a phrase the newspaper later dropped.")  Later this weekend, as I learned on This Week, the Obama campaign was sending around transcripts of Olbermann's comment while publicly saying that it wanted to just move past this "unfortunate" incident.  I understand why people are sensitive about the topic of political assassination, especially since we may be on the verge of having our first black president, and I am usually the first to criticize Clinton for various dog whistles, but I'm tired of the dishonesty about this. 

FWIW, the Clinton '92 example is a terrible example for a number of reasons, among them that he had the nomination sewn up by mid-March.  It just so happened that California still held its primary in June in '92.  The RFK example was arguably marginally better since there were still multiple viable candidates in the middle of the summer of '68 and historians have argued for years about who would have won if RFK had lived.  Both, obviously, are inapt examples since California now holds its primary in February.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: May 29, 2008, 02:24:12 PM »
I am usually the first to criticize Clinton for various dog whistles, but I'm tired of the dishonesty about this. 

Sounds like politics as usual to me.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: May 29, 2008, 02:32:39 PM »
I am usually the first to criticize Clinton for various dog whistles, but I'm tired of the dishonesty about this. 

Sounds like politics as usual to me.

Yes.  I just worry that this smear is going to backfire. 

ETA: And Obama is running as something other than "politics as usual," so it is riskier for him to act like a two-faced politician than it is for others.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: May 29, 2008, 04:08:20 PM »

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: May 29, 2008, 04:34:30 PM »
Rising 1L