3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 427429 times)

Principled.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fundamentals, period.
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #3920 on: March 11, 2008, 11:50:59 AM »
Sources: Money transfers spurred Spitzer probe
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/11/spitzer.money/index.html.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The allegations bearing down on New York's governor didn't start with a prostitute -- despite lurid details in a federal affidavit detailing an alleged tryst with a "very pretty brunette" named Kristen last month.

Rather, sources familiar with the investigation said Tuesday that Gov. Eliot Spitzer's troubles began with a federal money-laundering probe.

Prosecutors unsealed an affidavit that details a rendezvous in a Washington hotel room between a prostitute and "Client 9," who a source with knowledge of the case said Monday was Spitzer.

Spitzer, who has not been charged with any crime, stood beside his wife, Silda, on Monday, apologizing to his family without specifically mentioning accusations of a romp with a high-dollar prostitute.

The governor -- who has three daughters and who rose to prominence as a hard-charging prosecutor with little tolerance for graft and corruption -- said only that he had acted "in a way that violates my obligations to my family, that violates my or any sense of right and wrong."

He did not acknowledge the allegations, which were revealed in The New York Times, nor did he take questions.

According to two sources who spoke Tuesday with CNN, Spitzer hit the federal radar when a bank reported to the Internal Revenue Service that a significant amount of money had been suspiciously transferred from one account to another.

The IRS, upon investigating the matter late last year, found that the accounts were connected to Spitzer, the sources said. The IRS contacted the FBI, which joined the case to investigate the possibility of government corruption.

The FBI Corruption Squad linked the account transfers to a prostitution ring, according to sources. The FBI criminal division joined the probe to look into the prostitution ring, while the federal corruption team continued its investigation into Spitzer.

Besides high-profile Wall Street investigations as state attorney general, Spitzer also prosecuted prostitution rings
Two officials said it appears that the main motivation for the money transfers was to hide money.

The prostitution ring, known as the Emperors Club, charged between $1,000 and $5,500 an hour and operated in several major cities besides New York, according to court papers.

The source who identified Spitzer as Client 9 said Monday that the governor's attorneys likely will face questions about how he paid for the alleged hotel encounter, whether the trail was concealed and whether banking laws were circumvented.

The investigation into the Emperor's Club began in October 2007 and included evidence from a confidential source identified in court papers as a prostitute who worked at the club in 2006. The prostitute was given immunity, according to court papers.

The probe also included statements from an undercover officer who posed as a customer, more than 5,000 intercepted phone calls and text messages, more than 6,000 e-mails recovered with search warrants, bank records, travel and hotel records and physical surveillance.

--
tsk tsk tsk. All the AMNY papers were opened to the Spitzer story this morning.

Regarding the part in purple, is there something I'm missing? I'm just curious, if I take a few grand out of my checking account right now and transfer it to another account, will I be reported to the IRS? Did that report begin the money laundering probe or was the probe already in effect?

...Just want a little more detail regarding the  bank's jurisdiction over reporting transfers of large quantities, and what constitutes large. I wouldn't be surprised if public official accounts get special attention, but I'm curious to know if that's the case.

"(s)he's arguing...(s)he's making an argument."

"...I'm so ready to promise my all & I'm so ready to give 'til the day that my life is no more... I'll be everything that this woman could possibly be...cause I'm ready to be like the olden days when commitment was golden" ~Chrisette Michele

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: March 11, 2008, 11:55:35 AM »
Yes, that last bit is interesting.

But really, how stupid can one be to create an ENTIRE image out of anti-corruption--taking down important and well-connected people who would love nothing more than to catch you at something--and then hire a $5k/hour prostitute (multiple times), arrange for her to travel to DC (interstate trafficking...smart one), and engage in illicit sex.  I mean, come on.  This guy deserves, absolutely deserves, whatever is coming to him.

pretty much...he's a dumbass and will get what's coming to him.  this will be an example of schadenfraude at its finest.
Columbia 3L

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: March 11, 2008, 12:43:26 PM »
Obama: 'If I am not ready, why do you think I would be such a great vice president?'

Gotta admit, the Clintons kinda stuck their foot in their mouth on that one.  Either the guy's qualified or he isn't.

Word, that's a definite inconsistency that I think is going to hurt a bit.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

biggame

• View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: March 11, 2008, 01:13:13 PM »
Who really cares about this guy? Are we really that surprised that another corrupt politician is having sex with prostitutes? 90% of all politicians are corrupt anyway...being pampered and greased by major corporations, special interest groups, and by their own prideful desires for power. The government is a complete joke. It is sad, but it is a complete joke.

Second of all, I just read an interesting thought. If Barack Hussein Obama was a white man then he wouldn't even be in this race. His programs and and policies are ridiculous. If he gets elected and then somehow convinces the rest of the corrupt politicians to put his programs in place our country will fall apart. Inflation is already starting to increase and if Obama becomes president our economy will completely collapse.

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3924 on: March 11, 2008, 01:13:54 PM »
Yes, that last bit is interesting.

But really, how stupid can one be to create an ENTIRE image out of anti-corruption--taking down important and well-connected people who would love nothing more than to catch you at something--and then hire a $5k/hour prostitute (multiple times), arrange for her to travel to DC (interstate trafficking...smart one), and engage in illicit sex.  I mean, come on.  This guy deserves, absolutely deserves, whatever is coming to him.

pretty much...he's a dumbass and will get what's coming to him.  this will be an example of schadenfraude at its finest.

Agreed...keep it in your pants..if you are going to do it at least dont pay for it. smh

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: March 11, 2008, 01:23:29 PM »

According to two sources who spoke Tuesday with CNN, Spitzer hit the federal radar when a bank reported to the Internal Revenue Service that a significant amount of money had been suspiciously transferred from one account to another.

Is it just me, or does something seem off here?  Spitzer is a millionaire.  You mean to tell me that a $4,000 charge on his account would "raise suspicion?"  I don't buy that.  This guy spends more than that on nothing.  Something doesn't add up about this.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Principled.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fundamentals, period.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: March 11, 2008, 01:32:06 PM »

Is it just me, or does something seem off here?  Spitzer is a millionaire.  You mean to tell me that a $4,000 charge on his account would "raise suspicion?"  I don't buy that.  This guy spends more than that on nothing.  Something doesn't add up about this.

I thought so too. I dont know if anyone caught the end of my post where I asked about this.
"(s)he's arguing...(s)he's making an argument."

"...I'm so ready to promise my all & I'm so ready to give 'til the day that my life is no more... I'll be everything that this woman could possibly be...cause I'm ready to be like the olden days when commitment was golden" ~Chrisette Michele

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: March 11, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »
Second of all, I just read an interesting thought. If Barack Hussein Obama was a white man then he wouldn't even be in this race. His programs and and policies are ridiculous. If he gets elected and then somehow convinces the rest of the corrupt politicians to put his programs in place our country will fall apart. Inflation is already starting to increase and if Obama becomes president our economy will completely collapse.

To Hillary's credit, if Obama had been a white man he would have already won. However, if campaign management is any indication of the candidates ability to run the economy, I'd rather hear from the person who didn't have to loan their own campign $5 million.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: March 11, 2008, 01:55:31 PM »

ditto. It is quite odd considering the timing. Isn't Spitzer putting forth a bill to stregthen the states abortion laws, making abortions a fundamental right for women?
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: March 11, 2008, 01:59:27 PM »
Second of all, I just read an interesting thought. If Barack Hussein Obama ....

Barack Hussein Obama, Jr.  :D