3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 416902 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2007, 11:10:45 AM »
Hmm...Alci, I'm just reading this thread. You have a really rosy view of states. While they are certainly more able to experiment than the federal government, how often does this experimentation lead to good results? I mean, to be where you're from and me coming where I'm from, this pro-states' rights position is hard to understand. Moreover, many of the states where African Americans are most populous (proportionately) are the states where "experimentation" has never led to anything good.

I don't think that's an excuse for having the federal government (inefficiently) run everything.  I think that the closer we can get to the federalist ideal, the more efficiently our country will be run.  There just needs to be better oversight of states' experimentation.  Again, don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2007, 12:08:34 PM »
That's no surprise.  I would, however, like to see the stats for the number of middle class kids going to colleges that offer merit scholarships.  With steadily rising tuitions, I think it's increasingly likely that only the rich who can afford to pay it or the poor who can be subsidized are going to need-based-only colleges.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2007, 12:10:06 PM »
agreed Alci.

(edit: with your last post, not the rest of your hotmessness  >:(  ;D )

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2007, 12:24:10 PM »
I disagree with the disagreeing with Alci, but I don't necessarily agree with him. I think that blacks have seen the federal government as a way of getting the states to recognize their rights. When anyone says states rights, therefore, black people are very wary of the implication. In the past that was the correct strategy. But I think it's time to revisit all of those assumptions. I'm not so sure that states wouldn't be a better place to target for programs now.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2007, 12:26:39 PM »
(edit: with your last post, not the rest of your hotmessness  >:(  ;D )

:P

I disagree with the disagreeing with Alci, but I don't necessarily agree with him. I think that blacks have seen the federal government as a way of getting the states to recognize their rights. When anyone says states rights, therefore, black people are very wary of the implication. In the past that was the correct strategy. But I think it's time to revisit all of those assumptions. I'm not so sure that states wouldn't be a better place to target for programs now.

I agree with that entirely.  I think we're on the same page.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2007, 12:31:27 PM »
Good. Way to follow me lead.  :D
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2007, 01:05:36 PM »

Good point.
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2007, 01:12:10 PM »
let me clarify that I agree to the extent that I think our federal government has messed up things to an extent where our only recourse is state government/constitutions and the experimentation they provide, but I am not inherently happy about it as Alci is.  I like progress being made in all arenas verses confining it to one--whether that be state or federal.  Cooperative federalism is where it is at.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2007, 01:25:14 PM »
let me clarify that I agree to the extent that I think our federal government has messed up things to an extent where our only recourse is state government/constitutions and the experimentation they provide, but I am not inherently happy about it as Alci is.  I like progress being made in all arenas verses confining it to one--whether that be state or federal.  Cooperative federalism is where it is at.

Lol, I am only inherently happy about things that work.  Cooperative federalism is what I'm advocating...let the states experiment, but provide national standards (as I've said all along).  I don't think we should go back to the days of dual federalism.

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2007, 02:34:06 PM »

Lol, I am only inherently happy about things that work.  Cooperative federalism is what I'm advocating...let the states experiment, but provide national standards (as I've said all along).  I don't think we should go back to the days of dual federalism.

Yep! Basically the same thing I stated also...[[before the induced tangents]]

Interesting how we come back to the same point...
Consuetudo pro lege servatur...Corruptisima re publica plurimae leges.