3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 419413 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2007, 02:36:18 PM »
I don't think you can make a fair projection based on the state of the British dental system, Alci.  Reportage of this kind referencing Canada, or even some of the other European countries, would be more persuasive.

Why would that be more persuasive?  Given the size of the U.S. and its population, and given our government's ability to royally f* up social programs, I would expect it to be far worse than Britain, much less Canada or other European countries that have a strong tradition of socialized healthcare.  The U.S. government doesn't do anything efficiently.  If we were talking about Switzerland or something, maybe.  But the U.S.?  Yeah right.  Come back to earth, please.

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2007, 03:00:35 PM »
1)The Brits don't have the bread to fund that system of theirs.  It's well organized, but that's about it. If we're looking for a fair comparison, I'd go with Germany.  Plus, they had the good sense to get some fluoride in their lives, unlike the Brits.   

2)bad system in which the nation with the world's largest health care tab only manages to provide good coverage to a particular segment of the population, which in the end comes back to bite everyone in the ass vs. bad system in which everyone is forced to cool their heels for a minute before they get seen.  I'll take a heaping helping of the latter.  You like efficiency right Alci?  Preventative medicine is your friend.   
Grrr...

Quote from: 1LCorvo
If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Quote from: Saxibbles
Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2007, 03:30:13 PM »
I never said I didn't like preventative medicine.  I just abhor the idea of the government running it.

EDIT: And do you honestly think Congress would give such a program enough funding to make it work better than the British system?

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2007, 07:57:19 PM »
It would depend on the makeup of Congress at the time...checks and balances and so on.  A good portion of the health care budget is eaten up by administrative costs and universal healthcare would help to streamline the process and cut costs a bit in that regard. 
At the end of the day, with the increasingly draconian restrictions being placed on people by managed care, I don't think the quality or convenience of the system will be adversely affected by a shift toward universal healthcare. So the question then is, why not?
Grrr...

If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2007, 08:01:46 PM »
Because once the government gives people something, they never want to change it or give it up (see Social Security), and with perhaps a bit of legislation, there is likely a private-sector solution the problem.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2007, 08:27:21 PM »
Way to ignore the qualification.

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2007, 08:42:55 PM »
I always like these private sector v government arguments.  As if one is inherently superior to the other...  I think that it's going to take the cooperation between the private sector, government, and individual citizens to make this thing work.  Everyone has a role to play!
Consuetudo pro lege servatur...Corruptisima re publica plurimae leges.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2007, 08:45:06 PM »
That's what I'm advocating.  A moderate amount of government guidance/oversight through legislation, but private-sector implementation and operation.

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2007, 08:48:30 PM »
That's what I'm advocating.  A moderate amount of government guidance/oversight through legislation, but private-sector implementation and operation.

Oh ok! Sounds reasonable to me.
Consuetudo pro lege servatur...Corruptisima re publica plurimae leges.

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2007, 08:52:41 PM »
Hmmm...Bush's insurance proposal calls for a tax on the value of employer-sponsored health insurance to fund tax deductions for families and individuals who purchase their own insurance.  That is one way in which legislative maneuvering can make health insurance more affordable for Americans.

But in between those that afford to pay for their own health insurance up front and those that qualify for Medicaid/Medicare is a large segment of the population.  What could be done about them?  Any plan to provide coverage for these Americans without restructuring the entire system would call for increased spending when all parties agree that spending is already out of control.  For me it's a matter of value; the Canadians/Europeans cover all their citizens for less money than we pay to cover some of our citizens.  There may be a day when universal health care wouldn't be the practical solution, but it's not today.     

Social Security is a whole other kettle of fish. I wouldn't characterize it as a system in which the government "gives" the public something. Quite the contrary, actually.
Grrr...

Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.