3 (10.3%)
Looooong lead up to 2012
 4 (13.8%)
Something else
 2 (6.9%)
Some combination of the above
 8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Thread on Politics  (Read 419486 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread on Politics
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2007, 11:50:10 AM »
No, they really don't.  You co-opt what the other person gas been arguing and say you agree.

No, I don't.  Again, unsupported attacks are worthless.

As for the alcholic...sure, maybe he should.  But I wouldn't.  And neither would any self-interested individual in his shoes.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2007, 12:06:54 PM »
critiques not attacks.  read over your last few arguments with Miss P.
--

perhaps not, but you made a prescription of what others in his place should do.  sounds like policy to me.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2007, 12:16:36 PM »
I don't recall agree with Miss P about anything, although I do recall her finally agreeing with me about something.  Once.

Saying what rational people would do /= policy.  Saying how incentives should be changed to make actions rational = policy.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2007, 12:26:17 PM »
"Note to all alcoholics..."
is not a statement of what an alcoholic would do, it is a warning with a prescription of what they should do - that is policy

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2007, 12:27:46 PM »
man, this is clearly not policy. also, it's clearly annoying. drop it.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2007, 12:31:37 PM »
Main Entry: 1pol·i·cy 
Pronunciation: \ˈpä-lə-sē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -cies
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English policie government, policy, from Middle French police, policie — more at police
Date: 15th century
1 a: prudence or wisdom in the management of affairs b: management or procedure based primarily on material interest
2 a: a definite course or method of action selected from among alternatives and in light of given conditions to guide and determine present and future decisions b: a high-level overall plan embracing the general goals and acceptable procedures especially of a governmental body

don't read the thread opoto.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2007, 12:36:05 PM »
is not a statement of what an alcoholic would do, it is a warning with a prescription of what they should do - that is policy

OK, then I guess we have different definitions of "policy."  For me, "policy" is a rule that a decisionmaker in charge of others decides to implement in order to change the behavior of said others.  I wouldn't impose, as a policy, a rule that people should never turn themselves in if they wouldn't get caught otherwise.  But given current incentives, I don't think that any rational person should do so.  For me, "policy" is never individual unless qualified by the word "personal."  Thus, it might be my personal policy not to turn myself in if it's not in my best interest, and I think that would also be the personal policy of most rational people.  But I don't use the general term "policy" in that way.  Therefore, I advocate utilitarianism for policy decisions, but not for your personal policy decisions.

EDIT:  re the entry above: exactly.  I go with definition 2(b).  2(a) is too broad for my purposes.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2007, 12:39:46 PM »

OK, then I guess we have different definitions of "policy."  For me, "policy" is a rule that a decisionmaker in charge of others decides to implement in order to change the behavior of said others.  I wouldn't impose, as a policy, a rule that people should never turn themselves in if they wouldn't get caught otherwise.  But given current incentives, I don't think that any rational person should do so.  For me, "policy" is never individual unless qualified by the word "personal."  Thus, it might be my personal policy not to turn myself in if it's not in my best interest, and I think that would also be the personal policy of most rational people.  But I don't use the general term "policy" in that way.  Therefore, I advocate utilitarianism for policy decisions, but not for your personal policy decisions.

EDIT:  re the entry above: exactly.  I go with definition 2(b).  2(a) is too broad for my purposes.

she should have at least edited the definition. PWN3D!
Look to the left -- Look to the right

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2007, 12:42:28 PM »
in other words you think of all policy as public policy--although your underlying preferences largely negate your larger public policy prescription/aspirations.  

edit: and opoto I don't believe I need to hide the fact that in Alci's definition is a specific type of policy (public policy) but doesn't encompass the broad implications that "policy" has.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2007, 12:50:07 PM »
I've never said I subscribed the principle that one should govern as one lives.  There are conduct rules and there are decision rules.  The general public needs guidance, and that's why you have conduct rules.   But as for a personal decision rule, I'm going to do what's in my best interest, as would most people.