Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Frustration with Admissions Staff  (Read 1016 times)

skip

• View Profile
Frustration with Admissions Staff
« on: November 20, 2006, 01:48:22 PM »
I feel as if I will get a different answer every time I call to ask a question. Not only different, but polar opposite answers. Is it too much to ask for the staff to be on the same page???!!! I am not even talking about, "When will we hear?" type of questions which they probably get irritated with, just simple procedural questions. Sorry, I needed to vent.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
Re: Frustration with Admissions Staff
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 01:50:09 PM »
I have mentally started ranking the admissions staff. Some schools (Brooklyn and Fordham comes to mind) are exceptionally fast and gives real good answers, others take like 2 weeks to answer a completely basic question, and the answer is just a copy/paste from some memo they have.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 01:54:55 PM »
Oh, I do not, I even send a "Thank you very much Sir/Madam" email every time I get some help from them. Probably pointless, but I guess if that person happens to recognize my name I'd rather have it be a good memory than "oh, that a-hole"

shakermaker

• Shake allllong with meeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 03:42:57 PM »
I have mentally started ranking the admissions staff. Some schools (Brooklyn and Fordham comes to mind) are exceptionally fast and gives real good answers, others take like 2 weeks to answer a completely basic question, and the answer is just a copy/paste from some memo they have.

Really? I don't mean to rag on them and I hope I'm the only one like this, but... Brooklyn hasn't replied to a single e-mail I sent. I've sent multiple to the admissions e-mail and their associate dean. I even went up there (500+ miles) for a visit and zilch, nada. I did the self-guided tour but when it came time to talk with their staff I didn't get the chance because the only office members present were busy.

Every other LS has responded to e-mails very timely. Anyway, I'm not at all impressed and it's enough to make me rethink applying there... $60 is a bit much if I can't even get an e-mail replied to. Nice campus though. And nYc is awesome. Good luck.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 07:32:13 PM »
Guess I must have been lucky with the staff I've ended up getting then. I've sent something like 10-15 mails to Brooklyn (as I've used them for "general counseling" as well - ssh, dont tell them) and the replies usually takes a few hours, 2 days is the longest I've waited at all, and that was for them to confirm the addition of my addendum to my records.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 10:50:47 PM »
I've really only had contact with one admissions office so far this cycle.  For what it's worth, Loyola Chicago's email responses have been quick, helpful, and polite.  I made sure to be extra nice and thank them for their help, as well.
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

cheesesteak

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 12:03:28 AM »

Really? I don't mean to rag on them and I hope I'm the only one like this, but... Brooklyn hasn't replied to a single e-mail I sent. I've sent multiple to the admissions e-mail and their associate dean. I even went up there (500+ miles) for a visit and zilch, nada. I did the self-guided tour but when it came time to talk with their staff I didn't get the chance because the only office members present were busy.

Every other LS has responded to e-mails very timely. Anyway, I'm not at all impressed and it's enough to make me rethink applying there... $60 is a bit much if I can't even get an e-mail replied to. Nice campus though. And nYc is awesome. Good luck.
Brooklyn was the slowest and least helpful by far last year.  I gave up after 4 or 5 unhelpful phone calls.  I sent three emails and only one of them was answered.

dbmuell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 03:26:53 PM »
It seems to me that a rude or inconsiderate admissions staff should serve as a red flag as far as what to expect once you actually attend the school. If their admissions people (basically, the marketing department) don't care enough to give you the time of day, you can bet that their faculty and other administrative staff are not going to be motivated to give much more consideration to you once you are already attending and in the system. 

When I went to the DC forum, I had several reps (from schools that were in no place to act snooty) treat me as if they would be doing me a favor by taking my application fee.  Those brochures went straight in the trash when I got home and I am half tempted to write some letters explaining why I did not apply once I have my acceptances in hand from other schools. 

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 04:49:34 PM »
Bear in mind that the facts of the situation... there are 10+ applicants to law schools for every open seat. As such, the adcomm's aren't going to cry if you throw out their application. They'll just fill your seat with one of the other 9 people that want it. I can only imagine how boring and frustrating those LSAC forums are for admissions people... prospective law students who are going to try to convince you how brilliant and thorough they are coming up to you and asking the most basic information that can be found on their website... over and over again. Even those reps that are "from schools that were in no place to act snooty", actually are in a position to be snooty if they want... you (or other prospective students not too dissimilar to you) are applying to attend their school in far greater numbers than they can admit.
Is it right for them to have less than a helpful and friendly attitude at those seminars? Of course not... but don't mistakenly assume that you are something they don't see everyday, every cycle, in large quantities...
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

Reach

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 05:24:19 PM »
I have had the absolute best experience with admissions staff thus far, and I must say I'm quite impressed overall with the experience.  Of course, that might change dramatically when the financial crunch happens in Spring and nerves are frayed on all sides.