Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: darned 25%...  (Read 1802 times)

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Re: darned 25%...
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 05:49:38 PM »
if a schools low end average is 155, does that mean i shouldnt bother applying if i have a 149? ???
i'm no good at math, or the lsat for that matter..

it depends on how much you want to go there. if it's a lot, then you're only out 70-100 bucks if they say no. No matter what, your chances of getting in when you apply is higher than if you don't.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 07:30:28 PM »
No matter what, your chances of getting in when you apply is higher than if you don't.

That's all there is to say, isnt it? In the long run the $70 won't make a difference. I've applied to several schools where I'd probably have to marry the Dean to get in, still feel like it doesn't hurt trying. Maybe you find that one admissions officer who takes a special like to your background etc. As said before, as long as you are below the 25th percentile you will not affect their stats/ranks, so it might just work.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 07:49:32 PM »
I agree with evilwonderbra (who, by the looks of her LSN, is going to have a wonderful cycle, I predict :)).

I think with your GPA above their 75th percentile and your LSAT very close to their 25th percentile that it'll come down to the strength of the rest of your application.  I don't think you LSAT is so far off that it'll affect you, though.  If Case is your top choice, I hope you let them know that, because that'll also help your case (uh. . .no pun intended :P).
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 08:43:45 PM »
Did you apply there early decision?

Also, i wouldnt retake ur lsat unless ur sure u can get at least a 159.  Sure as in u can guarentee u can hit that.
Princeton Law 2010

JellyBelly

• should I wear RED or PLAID??????????????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 08:57:33 PM »
No matter what, your chances of getting in when you apply is higher than if you don't.

That's all there is to say, isnt it? In the long run the $70 won't make a difference. I've applied to several schools where I'd probably have to marry the Dean to get in, still feel like it doesn't hurt trying. Maybe you find that one admissions officer who takes a special like to your background etc. As said before, as long as you are below the 25th percentile you will not affect their stats/ranks, so it might just work.

wait. hold on a minute. are you saying that applicants who score under the 25th percentile, and are accepted.... the schools do not need to report this???

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 09:11:50 PM »
The schools report 25th and 75th percentiles, they do not report averages.

So if the people between 1st and 24th percentile are 140s and the 25th is 175 and 75th is 180s their statistics used for rankings would be 175/180 yes (using exaggerated numbers for the sake of argument). Therefor a law school can admit a few students way below their 25th (not saying they will just could)without risking their rankings. Same scenario applies to GPAs obviously.

To exemplify, a law school with 5 students (yay)

180/4.0 (100th)
177/3.9 (75th)
176/3.8 (50th - median)
175/3.7 (25th)
140/2.0 (1st)

This school would have 175/3.7 as their 25th percentile and 177/3.9 as their 75th. The one odd student way below the scale doesn't hurt them. Some schools fairly openly uses this to admit "special" students (minorities, non-trads, weak test takers etc), others do it as well, but aren't public about it. Two schools who openly does this that comes to mind is Rutgers and UMich from what I've heard.

pinkytrc

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pinkytrc
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers- drop by, leave a comment!
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 11:51:50 PM »
Thanks for the help guys!  I think I am just going to apply.  I didn't apply early decision because it is binding and I wasn't sure I could afford it.  Plus, CSU nearby said I should get "a decent scholarship".  I wanted to make sure I wasn't locked into anything.  Honestly, CSU and Case are kind of equal as my top choices.  I'm staying local and both have excellent reputations here.  Case starts going over regular apps in January, so I figure that with my numbers hopefully I wont be tossed right away.  Either I can get accepted (yay!) or set aside to come back to or waitlisted.  I figure if that's the case, then I can retake in February once I have had a ton more time to prepare and make sure I am back at my 162 average for the test.
Brad Pitt Pic-Sorry guys, your welcome girls!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pinkytrc

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 05:50:07 AM »
Hmm, I just put in an app to Case as well, think I'm up to 25 now... Should be some chance that at least one of them wants me!

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 06:02:37 AM »
Someone's got to be filling the <25th percentile, and someone with a >75th in the other category sounds about right to me.

pinkytrc

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pinkytrc
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers- drop by, leave a comment!
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 09:58:52 AM »
Hmm, I just put in an app to Case as well, think I'm up to 25 now... Should be some chance that at least one of them wants me!

Haha, man I pray you get in! lol.  25 apps- how did you keep the names straight for them all!  But good luck- just don't take my spot at Case! lol.
Brad Pitt Pic-Sorry guys, your welcome girls!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pinkytrc