Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Oh boy- what's a girl to do!!!  (Read 944 times)

pinkytrc

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pinkytrc
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers- drop by, leave a comment!
    • Email
Oh boy- what's a girl to do!!!
« on: November 20, 2006, 11:07:35 AM »
Ok, so here's the story.  I have a 3.71 gpa, (3.94 degree if that would possibly matter) and my LSAT scores are 146 last Sept.(oops, really just didn't study enough- or at all it seems- I already kicked myself in the ass for that one) and a 156 this Sept.  Now, I was practicing low 160's.  I haven't even touched an LSAT book since the test.  I did, however, register for December because I wasn't sure if I wanted to retake to give myself a better chance at Case Western.  Their 25% LSAT is a 157, so I am literally right below it (they take the highest, thank god!)...my gpa though is above their 75% which is a 3.57.  So here's my standings:

ME             Case
3.71           3.57 (75%)
156            157 (25%)- 161 (75%)

Now the twist...I just recently decided to go with CSU because they said I should get $ and it's a good school.  So I decided not to retake the LSAT, although I did not cancel it yet.  I thought aid at case would be completely out of the question.  But today I received an email from my advisor at my very small private college with an ok reputation, not the best, that there is a 1/2 tuition (50k!)scholarship at case that a woman left that gives preference to my college grads.  Now, I literally am probably the only person applying to Case this year.  Many students are from out of state and it's so small that hardly no one applies to law school anyways.  So basically, she tells me that if I'm admitted it should be mine.

So now the LSAT is in 2 weeks, I'm going to KY to see my family Thurs-Sun. so not studying then and I just don't know if I'll be ready to retake the LSAT.  Now, even though they take the highest, if I score lower that will look bad.  Even if I score the same it will look like I hit my glass ceiling.  So what do I do?  According to LSAT I have a 30-40% chance of admission to Case.  Should I be happy with my score and just apply?  Or retake the LSAT?
Brad Pitt Pic-Sorry guys, your welcome girls!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pinkytrc

pinkytrc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oh boy- what's a girl to do!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 11:25:24 AM »
Anyone? ???

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 11:28:02 AM »
If you feel you can score higher in Dec, then retake. If you have already registered, you have to pay the fee to take either way. Study next week and if you feel you're not going to do better than the 156, then cancel Dec and apply. If you don't get into Case this go round, retake the LSAT and apply for next cycle-- the scholarship will still be there.
Vanderbilt 2010

pinkytrc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 11:47:21 AM »
I'm just afraid I won't have the time to study and it would be too much of a risk.  I guess I am mostly wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experiences on getting accepted 1 point under the LSAT 25%?  Even with a gpa above their 75% by quite a bit...  I'm wondering if it's worth it to risk it.  Even though they take the highest, a lower score would look bad. 

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 11:53:51 AM »
How did you do on the SAT or ACT?  I ask because if you didn't do as well as your UGPA shows you should have, you can attempt to write an addendum explaining that your standardized test scores are not indicative of your academic potential.  If you were to do this, I would not take the Dec. lsat ... why would you put yourself through that again.  And it is pretty close now ... I would only do it if you feel you are more ready than you were when you got your highest score.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 11:59:07 AM »
I would study hard and go for it, you can still cancel the LSAT up to 24 hrs before iirc.  If you arn't practicing in the 160s I would just cancel.

I think it is worthwhile to take the time to study over the holiday.  I have to go visit my inlaws on thanksgiving, and I am even making my wife drive so I can study on the way (this is a big deal for me because I am very nervous as a passenger in a car, the result of a near fatal accident).  Plus, studying gives me an excuse to make myself scarce when visiting the inlaws ;)
Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 11:59:35 AM »
I think that your GPA will make up for your LSAT.  It's only one point and 25% doesnt mean that's the lowest score they take.
University of Toledo 0L

pinkytrc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 12:02:37 PM »
My gpa is fine, above their 75% even.  It will just be hard to study this weekend because I only see my family 2x a year for a couple days since they live in another state.  They moved when I was in high school and I still live here, so it's not like I go home for the summers or anything.  Sure I can crack the books a bit, but it won't nearly be quiet enough and I won't have time to be spending hours on it.  I work full time and go to school and all, so I have very limited time!  And yes, I will be honest my motivation is a bit down because I have a score that will get me into one choice and maybe into this one.  I'm mostly wondering my chances with an LSAT 1 point under that 75%.  If I had such a decent shot already it might not be worth it to go through with the trauma of a retake.

pinkytrc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 12:04:08 PM »
I would study hard and go for it, you can still cancel the LSAT up to 24 hrs before iirc.  If you arn't practicing in the 160s I would just cancel.

I think it is worthwhile to take the time to study over the holiday.  I have to go visit my inlaws on thanksgiving, and I am even making my wife drive so I can study on the way (this is a big deal for me because I am very nervous as a passenger in a car, the result of a near fatal accident).  Plus, studying gives me an excuse to make myself scarce when visiting the inlaws ;)

I wish.  But I'm going alone so no such luck.  Hello 8+ hour drive alone!!!

pinkytrc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 12:08:15 PM »
I'm just afraid I won't have the time to study and it would be too much of a risk.  I guess I am mostly wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experiences on getting accepted 1 point under the LSAT 25%?  Even with a gpa above their 75% by quite a bit...  I'm wondering if it's worth it to risk it.  Even though they take the highest, a lower score would look bad. 

I was rejected last year with LSAT at the 25% and GPA well over 75th so I can't offer you any comfort. The problem is that low LSAT is a lot harder to overlook than a low GPA.

If I knew that studing like crazy for two weeks would get me a $50,000 scholarship, I'd go for it. Personally, I would have done a full-length test during the holidays and hire a Powerscore/Testmasters tutor next week to run me through the drills.

I already took a classroom course before the last test, so my money is out!  You do have excellent scores, I'm sorry it didn't work out.  But my schools are not nearly as competetive as your choices!  I wish! lol.  My other choice is still very respected here and would still be much cheaper even with the 50k.