Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pressure from Oklahoma, how do I handle them?  (Read 3418 times)

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cmschube
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/login.php
Pressure from Oklahoma, how do I handle them?
« on: November 19, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »
I got accepted into Oklahoma and they want a reply by Dec. 22.  To make matters worse, I got a scholarship offer from them, and they want me to commit to that by Dec. 1.  Now, I've only heard back from a few of schools and they are all my safety schools.  I don't want to commit anywhere until I know what other offers will be put in front of me.  How do I handle them? 

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure from Oklahoma, how do I handle them?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 05:23:07 PM »
I got accepted into Oklahoma and they want a reply by Dec. 22.  To make matters worse, I got a scholarship offer from them, and they want me to commit to that by Dec. 1.  Now, I've only heard back from a few of schools and they are all my safety schools.  I don't want to commit anywhere until I know what other offers will be put in front of me.  How do I handle them? 

What are your other acceptances? Other schools you are waiting for? Numbers?
Penn Law '09

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 05:24:30 PM »
I'm kind of incecisive, so i've kinda applied everywhere, especially since I've gotten a lot of fee waivers. 

Here's my LSN:  http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=scooby21322

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 06:55:33 PM »
Dear Ms. Madden,

Thank you for the offer of Admission to the University of Oklahoma College of Law.  I am excited about the prospect of continuing my education at a quality institution so close to home.  I commend your admissions committee for making decisions so quickly in this stressful time period.

I understand and respect that you wish to obtain commitments from potential students soon so that you may offer unused spaces to other quality students.  Unfortunately, I will not have had enough time or information by December 22 to make a final decision about where I will matriculate.  Most other schools have not begun reviewing applications yet, and I have not had the opportunity to visit any law schools yet.

I notice that your application deadline is March 15, 2007.  I will give you a commitment to attend with the appropriate deposit or a request to withdraw by February 22, three weeks before your deadline for applications.  Hopefully this will give you plenty of time to fill my slot should I choose to withdraw.  If this is not feasible or if you have any questions about my decision process, please call me at 405-555-1212.

Sincerely,
scooby21322

Agreed. If Oklahoma is a top choice of yours and they don't let you extend the deadline, you will have to consider hard how much you want to risk going there in terms of giving up chances at other schools. It sucks that they are doing this, but they did it last year too. I think it's how they try and keep good candidates and I don't think it speaks highly of the school.
Penn Law '09

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 08:54:55 PM »
Yes, it makes me mad too.  It makes me like the school less to be honest.  It is a safety school, so I doubt I'll be going there, but I still didn't want to turn down the option simply because they are being pushy.  Thanks for the advise homersboy, I think I'll send a letter similar to that one.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 09:20:51 PM »
That they would demand an answer from you so soon is very odd, given the nature of the process and the fact that most people don't hear back from law schools until, maybe January-February at the earliest (from what I remember, it was 2 years ago, and much has happened since then which might make me forget!).  Are you SURE you didn't apply to them early decision by mistake or something?  That's the only thing I can think of for why they'd expect a decision from you so soon.    ???
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 10:10:12 PM »
Well, the wording of their letter is somewhat ambiguous so I'm not 100% sure that I would have to commit, but that's the feeling I get.  Why else would they put a deadline on it.  I'm pretty sure that I wasn't an early decision.  If I was it was a mistake.  i find it really strange too. 

pinkytrc

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pinkytrc
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers- drop by, leave a comment!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 01:43:30 PM »
If the deposit is cheap (meaning you can afford it) then just send it in.  Worst case scenario, you lose that money and pick a school you like more.  Just ask yourself if that money is worth the peace of mind for life that you made the correct choice?  Or try calling- you'll get a much, much quicker answer!  Try asking without giving them your name first.  If they want you so bad they should be ok with your decision.

Make sure it's not one of those early deposit deadlines for first choice and stuff.  Check their website and makes sure the dates match up to what they are telling you.
Brad Pitt Pic-Sorry guys, your welcome girls!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pinkytrc

Deez

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 07:58:35 PM »
OU has done this in the past to qualified applicants.  They aren't idiots, and they know you most likely consider them a safety school.  If you look at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=soonertbone, he went through a similar experience.  Just talk to them, and see if they'll back off their deposit demand.  Worst case they say no, and you are right where you are now.

props ii

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 01:36:10 AM »
they'll let you push it back.
Quote from: Chica
You're f-ing adorable.