Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duke, UVA, Northwestern, Cornell, and Georgetown...  (Read 4532 times)

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: Duke, UVA, Northwestern, Cornell, and Georgetown...
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2007, 06:01:33 PM »

I agree, but I don't know why Georgetown would put someone in a better position to be at a good firm doing good work than Virginia would. 

This is probably a question for Lily to answer.  I believe UVA does a better job than GTown in this regard, at least in terms of placing graduates in top jobs sooner.
Yale.Law.School.2010

elidad

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2007, 06:11:28 PM »
Someone referred to Georgetown's beautiful campus.  Hold it!  GULC is NOT on the beautiful Georgetown campus.  It's downtown in a somewhat sketchy area between Capitol Hill and problematic neighborhoods.  It's location within the great city of Washington is pretty much a negative unless you are a part-time student trying to get to a job on Capitol Hill.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2007, 06:19:23 PM »
Someone referred to Georgetown's beautiful campus.  Hold it!  GULC is NOT on the beautiful Georgetown campus.  It's downtown in a somewhat sketchy area between Capitol Hill and problematic neighborhoods.  It's location within the great city of Washington is pretty much a negative unless you are a part-time student trying to get to a job on Capitol Hill.

I like GULC's location, mostly because it's not too far from the Mall, and I love the Smithsonian and would love to be able to visit it regularly (when I'm not slouched over some dense legal text).
Yale.Law.School.2010

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2007, 07:35:12 PM »

Probably.  After your first lateral, most of your job opportunities come from LS buddies calling you up and going "hey, we're working on X.  Want to join us?"  It's why networking matters -- and why the more buddies, the better. 

UVA is plenty big.  Georgetown's size is definitely an asset for establishing a wide alumni network, but first jobs are important in determining where you might be competitive as a future lateral hire.  UVA's better placement among top law firms nationally may mitigate the effects of having a smaller student body (and alumni base).

I'm not sure this is true in the way you need it to be for this to work.  IOW, I think it's a useful guideline at the the broader prestige brackets (e.g., V50 vs. V250), but not necessarily true within prestige brackets (e.g., V50).  Since the field I know the most about is health regulatory law, let's take that as an example.  For the best long-term options, it's much better to work at lower-ranked DC firms with good health groups, like Hogan & Hartson, than it is to work for some significantly more prestigious firms like Cravath.  Why?  Because they don't have a regulatory health practice worth mentioning, if they have one at all.

Also, absolute =/= percentages.   A few firms may take one or more UVA kids, while a few other firms may take one or two more G'Town grads.  Overall, though, the total numbers are 103 UVA vs. 149 GULC, i.e., roughly on par.  The reason why we get killed in the rankings is because the PT program skews our overall percentages.  Once you filter them out -- which you should, becuase their employment options are significantly differently -- you get a completely different picture.
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2007, 07:50:24 PM »

Probably.  After your first lateral, most of your job opportunities come from LS buddies calling you up and going "hey, we're working on X.  Want to join us?"  It's why networking matters -- and why the more buddies, the better. 

UVA is plenty big.  Georgetown's size is definitely an asset for establishing a wide alumni network, but first jobs are important in determining where you might be competitive as a future lateral hire.  UVA's better placement among top law firms nationally may mitigate the effects of having a smaller student body (and alumni base).

I'm not sure this is true in the way you need it to be for this to work.  IOW, I think it's a useful guideline at the the broader prestige brackets (e.g., V50 vs. V250), but not necessarily true within prestige brackets (e.g., V50).  Since the field I know the most about is health regulatory law, let's take that as an example.  For the best long-term options, it's much better to work at lower-ranked DC firms with good health groups, like Hogan & Hartson, than it is to work for some significantly more prestigious firms like Cravath.  Why?  Because they don't have a regulatory health practice worth mentioning, if they have one at all.

Also, absolute =/= percentages.   A few firms may take one or more UVA kids, while a few other firms may take one or two more G'Town grads.  Overall, though, the total numbers are 103 UVA vs. 149 GULC, i.e., roughly on par.  The reason why we get killed in the rankings is because the PT program skews our overall percentages.  Once you filter them out -- which you should, becuase their employment options are significantly differently -- you get a completely different picture.

29% versus 22% is fairly significant, and would still place UVA ahead of GTown for placement.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2007, 07:51:51 PM »

I hear this a lot but I kind of have to disagree. I worked in DC and walked to the G-town area very often because my gf worked literally across the street from it. I think it is funny people consider this area sketchy. There are homeless people but there is also spillover gov't security (Homeland Security building is right by) and you are 2 blocks from the metro station so you wouldn't be walking 10 blocks at night anyways.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2007, 07:52:43 PM »

29% versus 22% is fairly significant, and would still place UVA ahead of GTown for placement.

See my comments about PTers: these firms don't hire them, so they shouldn't be included.  Remove them, and it's around 26-27% -- which isn't really significant.  

I hear this a lot but I kind of have to disagree. I worked in DC and walked to the G-town area very often because my gf worked literally across the street from it. I think it is funny people consider this area sketchy. There are homeless people but there is also spillover gov't security (Homeland Security building is right by) and you are 2 blocks from the metro station so you wouldn't be walking 10 blocks at night anyways.

titcr. 
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2007, 07:54:55 PM »

See my comments about PTers: these firms don't hire them, so they shouldn't be included.  Remove them, and it's around 26-27% -- which isn't really significant.  

Gotcha.  Didn't connect the two before.
Yale.Law.School.2010