Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duke, UVA, Northwestern, Cornell, and Georgetown...  (Read 4625 times)

theprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Duke, UVA, Northwestern, Cornell, and Georgetown...
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2007, 04:50:06 PM »

4. Duke (general lukewarm feeling)

:D

1.) Georgetown
2.) Northwestern
3.) Duke
4.) Cornell
5.) UVA

based on career opportunities..

Why do you think career opportunities will be worst at UVA and best at Georgetown?

I am also quite curious about this. I would think UVA should be #1 or 2...based on national firm placement, at least.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2007, 04:51:48 PM »
I would agree that UVA has the best opportunities of these 5 schools.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2007, 05:03:11 PM »
Cornell - Ivy/NY/Close to home/I Like Winter
Duke - I like college BBall
Northwestern
UVa - I'll comment on this after the cycle if someone reminds me
Georgetown - Hoya Sucks-a
VIP.

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2007, 05:04:13 PM »

1.) Georgetown
2.) Northwestern
3.) Duke
4.) Cornell
5.) UVA

Why do you think career opportunities will be worst at UVA and best at Georgetown?

I am also quite curious about this. I would think UVA should be #1 or 2...based on national firm placement, at least.

Short term =/= Long term
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2007, 05:05:18 PM »

1.) Georgetown
2.) Northwestern
3.) Duke
4.) Cornell
5.) UVA

Short term =/= Long term

So you think that Georgetown has better long term career opportunities than Virginia?
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2007, 05:08:16 PM »

1.) Georgetown
2.) Northwestern
3.) Duke
4.) Cornell
5.) UVA

Short term =/= Long term

So you think that Georgetown has better long term career opportunities than Virginia?

Probably.  After your first lateral, most of your job opportunities come from LS buddies calling you up and going "hey, we're working on X.  Want to join us?"  It's why networking matters -- and why the more buddies, the better. 
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2007, 05:11:46 PM »

Probably.  After your first lateral, most of your job opportunities come from LS buddies calling you up and going "hey, we're working on X.  Want to join us?"  It's why networking matters -- and why the more buddies, the better. 

UVA is plenty big.  Georgetown's size is definitely an asset for establishing a wide alumni network, but first jobs are important in determining where you might be competitive as a future lateral hire.  UVA's better placement among top law firms nationally may mitigate the effects of having a smaller student body (and alumni base).
Yale.Law.School.2010

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2007, 05:14:27 PM »
I've always heard that the firm you work for, the work you do, and the quality of that work has a lot bigger impact on career opportunities 5 years after graduation than what school you went to. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2007, 05:45:38 PM »
I've always heard that the firm you work for, the work you do, and the quality of that work has a lot bigger impact on career opportunities 5 years after graduation than what school you went to. 

5 years after graduation, sure, but many of those initial factors are determined in great part by what law school you attended.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2007, 05:58:07 PM »

5 years after graduation, sure, but many of those initial factors are determined in great part by what law school you attended.

I agree, but I don't know why Georgetown would put someone in a better position to be at a good firm doing good work than Virginia would. 
CLS '10