Law School Discussion

Michigan, Vandy or BC?

Michigan, Vandy or BC?
« on: February 22, 2004, 10:39:09 AM »
I can't decide which to attend... the indecision is paralyzing!  Can anyone make a case for one of these schools without deferring to national rankings?  Also, what's BC's reputation outside of Boston?... Vandy's reputation outside of the Southeast?  I welcome all advice, opinions. 
Thanks

Re: Michigan, Vandy or BC?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 02:33:02 PM »
Ok, first lets cut BC from this discussion unless you want to live in Boston.  Because, BC really is a fairly regional school.  A good school, but not nearly as national as Vandy or Michigan (yes, Vandy is national).  So, assming you plan on living elsewhere than Boston, its down to Vandy and Michigan.  I'd pick UM for 3 reasons.  The first is the fact that better law firms recrui there on-campus.  Vandy gets really nice firms.  But Michigan gets every great firm in the country basically.  Many more options.  Second, I'd pick Michigan for Ann Arbor.  I hear Nashville is nice, but I like the college town atmosphere at Michigan.  Third, I'd pick Michigan because of the great sports teams there!  Great football, solid basketball, great hockey. 

If you're looking for Vandy's 3 biggest advantages over Michigan, IMO, they would be 1) Size of freshman class (about half of Michigan's), 2) weather, and 3) a less-competitive, more friendly southern atmosphere at the law school.  THese are three things that make Vandy really attractive, but IMO, Michigan's positives outweigh these in the long run.

Hope that helps.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 11:58:30 PM »
Michigan all the way. It's the better of the three.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 08:34:44 AM »
I'm from Boston and am a 1-L at Vandy now.  I was trying to decide between Vandy and BU last year.  Vandy says their national but once you get here they tell you a different story.  They have no pull in the northeast.  The career office will tell you its hard to compete against BU and BC and other schools in Boston.

If you want to be in the Northeast; don't come to Vandy.

Besides that Vandy is a good school.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 10:26:37 AM »
No offense, but if you are set on living in Boston, it was pretty foolish to pick Vandy over BU or BC.

Vandy is far more national than either of those schools, but beinng 'national' does not mean that it will automatically put you in a better spot than attending the local schools in every city.  It just means that in a given random city anywhere in the country, a Vandy degree will mean more than most other non-local schools and perhaps more than some local schools as well.