Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would you recomend your city? Why or why not?  (Read 9632 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Would you recomend your city? Why or why not?
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2007, 02:18:23 PM »
my cities are Cleveland, St. Paul/Minneapolis, and Philly. I'd recommend all three, depending on what you're interested in.

cleveland?

why?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Pike#11

• Sr. Citizen
  • I wish I was here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2007, 02:25:31 PM »
Charlotte, NC:  I don't recommend if you're a young single person.  Mediocre at best night life, very family oriented, difficult to meet people.  On the flip side, you're only three - four hours away from the beach and a couple hours away from the Appalachian Mountains.  Cost of living is pretty cheap, especially if you don't live in Uptown, Dilworth, Southend, or Southpark.  Traffic isn't too bad but the city is outgrowing some of its existing roads and freeways.

Charleston, SC:  Great place to live, awesome night life and there's a ton of bars and restaurants.  Isle of Palms and Folly Beach are both nice beaches and great places to hang out.  The cost of housing is pretty high but everything else is pretty cheap.  Girls will love the shopping on King Street.  Traffic sucks and is made worse by all the old people and tourists in town, but if you live and work downtown, you never really have to get in your car.

The weather is pretty good in both places.  It can get pretty hot in the summer (mid-to-upper 90's) but you get used to it after a few years.  It only snows once or twice a year at the most.  Since I've been down here from Michigan (roughly 13 years ago), we've only had heavy snow twice.
Attending:  Florida
Accepted:  American, Florida, Florida State, Temple ($36K), Miami ($69K), Baylor
Waitlist:  UNC
Rejected:  Berkeley, Georgetown, George Mason, Duke

Katie08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2007, 02:32:52 PM »
my cities are Cleveland, St. Paul/Minneapolis, and Philly. I'd recommend all three, depending on what you're interested in.

cleveland?

why?

Relatively low cost of living, lots of fun/quirky neighborhoods, great arts (cleveland museum of art and the cleveland orchestra are nationally recognized as being great, and the art museum is free), it's right on lake erie, there's a lot of diversity, little italy is great, there are a ton of fun local eateries, and theres a lot of work going on to renovate the city (flats renovation, new convo center, etc).  especially for a young professional, there's a lot of space to get involved in civic life and revitalization, and that means lots of opprotunities. for families, there are great suburban schools, tons of arts and cultural opprotunities, and relative proximity to other cities makes for easy weekend outings (chicago, columbus, philly, dc are all within 7 hrs).  and I just love it :)
You must be the change you wish to see in the world

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2007, 03:11:51 PM »
I like it when people love where they live.

Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2007, 03:36:06 PM »
DC and surrounding VA/MD suburbs

Pros:  The feeling of a large city, but you still get to see the sky (due to height restrictions).  Great architecture.  Always something to see or do downtown, and close to outdoor activities in Virginia and Maryland (camping/hiking/fishing/beaches).  Close to NYC if that's your sort of thing.  A lot of singles live in the city, and most people are pretty health-conscious.  The suburbs are full of young families.  The Metro (subway system) is relatively clean and manageable - a 30 minute metro/walk commute sure beats a 15 minute drive in my book.  Living here allows you to make fun of tourists.  DC is the place to go for government jobs and therefore a decent work schedule (usually less than 50 hours/week).  It's a diverse city, people coming here from all across the country.  Virginia has plenty of good public universities, and DC has the "DC Tuition Assistance Grant Program" which provides up to $10K a year to undergraduates studying at non-DC public universities.

Cons:  Cost of housing and to a lesser extent city/state taxes easily gobble up that government salary.  The summers are actually worse than the winters (and this is coming from a TX transplant) - extremely humid.  All in all, probably not the best place to raise kids.  Crime is high in some areas.  Many kids in DC are underprivileged and attend underperforming schools, and many kids in the suburbs of DC are overprivileged (snotty brats that party and spend Daddy's money).

and have those s3x parties.

i laughed my head off over that...

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2007, 06:19:02 PM »
Charlotte, NC:  I don't recommend if you're a young single person.  Mediocre at best night life, very family oriented, difficult to meet people.  On the flip side, you're only three - four hours away from the beach and a couple hours away from the Appalachian Mountains.  Cost of living is pretty cheap, especially if you don't live in Uptown, Dilworth, Southend, or Southpark.  Traffic isn't too bad but the city is outgrowing some of its existing roads and freeways.

Charleston, SC:  Great place to live, awesome night life and there's a ton of bars and restaurants.  Isle of Palms and Folly Beach are both nice beaches and great places to hang out.  The cost of housing is pretty high but everything else is pretty cheap.  Girls will love the shopping on King Street.  Traffic sucks and is made worse by all the old people and tourists in town, but if you live and work downtown, you never really have to get in your car.

The weather is pretty good in both places.  It can get pretty hot in the summer (mid-to-upper 90's) but you get used to it after a few years.  It only snows once or twice a year at the most.  Since I've been down here from Michigan (roughly 13 years ago), we've only had heavy snow twice.

Definitely second this one!!!  If not to live, definitely an awesome place to visit.

PROS:

Super friendly, voted most mannered for the last decade
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/01/17/best.manners.ap/

Superb QOL--you just can't beat it in the summer

Insane golf courses- charleston's hosting the Senior PGA Championship this weekend

Beaches

Restaurants/Resorts/Bars

Moderately Priced Housing

History/Culture

CONS:

No major sports teams--Panthers and Hurricanes are shared with NC

Not exactly Rodeo when it comes to shopping

Large gap b/w Rich and Poor
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2007, 07:23:58 PM »
little rock.

you'd hate it.  don't come here.

there's enough damn traffic as it is
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2007, 07:47:06 PM »
little rock.

you'd hate it.  don't come here.

there's enough damn traffic as it is

thanks

wont

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2007, 08:53:43 PM »

<-- hates where he lives
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2007, 08:57:47 PM »

<-- hates where he lives

Not for long.

Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.