Law School Discussion

Would you recomend your city? Why or why not?

Re: Would you recomend your city? Why or why not?
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2007, 09:58:41 AM »
I've been everywhere, man... and here's my $0.02

Southeastern CT (New London, Mystic, Groton, Ledyard)

Beautiful seasons with mild winters and the occasional hurricane and nor-easter.  Close to the beach.  Great place for families.  Jobs are plentiful for science and hospitality types with General Dynamics, Dow Chemical, and Pfizer as well as the resort town of Mystic all near by.  No traffic.  New London, Mystic, and Westerly (RI) all good places for young people with plenty of bars, clubs, and affordable housing.

Bronx, NY

University area is full of affordable shopping and colorful bodegas.  Parking is abundant.  NYC public transportation is amazing, and traffic is never a big issue here.  Many parts of the bourough is depressed and crime ridden.  HOT summers and very cold, windy winters.

Albuquerque, NM

My heart beats for this town.  It is vibrant, with amazing sunshine, good skiing nearby, and blissfully affordable.  I miss the coffee houses and bowling alleys the most.  UNM campus is a desert oasis.  People are friendly and active.  Restaurants are unparalled with amazing New Mexican, Greek, and Middle Eastern food around every corner.  Professional jobs are scarce, and crime is an issue for those involved, but I highly recommend 'borque, even above Santa Fe and Taos.

Denver, CO

I was only here for 6 months, helping my brother with a nasty divorce and move, so my opinion is admittedly biased.  I find Denver full of Big City hassle without much Big City cultural benefit.  I lived in the Capitol Hill area in a refurbished victorian mansion.  When I went to see my apartment for the first time I was amazed I could live in a castle, with 500 sq feet for $425 a month including.  I found out the night I moved in that the neighborhood is run by crack dealers and pimps, eventhough most of these people live many blocks away.  Apparently they commute to cater to the downtown homeless/ destitute.  The art museum and library are beautiful, but poorly stocked and empty on most days.
The town is inexpensive, but very sprawled.  Hot summers, different winters each year.  Some people love it.  I didn't.

Colorado Rockies (Aspen, Vail, Summit and Pitkin Counties)

Pitkin county and Aspen are arguably the most beautiful places on earth.  The wide vallies are picturesque from every angle.  Plenty to do with four ski resorts, gold medal fishing, and river sports galore.  The ratio of bars and restaurants to residents is insane.  Unfortunately there is nowhere to buy underware or socks for a reasonable price within 40 miles.  The best lingere store, and only local womens respite, Cheeks, was closed a few weeks ago when the owner died tragically of hypothermia after passing out in a creek.  Local bars and restaurants struggle here with increasing rents, and many are slated to close or have closed.  I am sorry to inform anyone who has been here that the Red Onion is gone.  It will become high end retail and condos sometime this summer.  Cooper Street is also on the chopping block with a similar fate.  Housing is tough for the first year, until you get to know people.  Then it is easy.  More jobs than you can shake a stick at.  Free public transportation.

Vail and Summit county can be likened to steaming pits of poo which will hopefully be swallowed my their narrow valley and dragged to the pits of hell soon.

Hope this helps.

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2007, 10:13:15 AM »
Banff and Lake Louise are awesome.  But I'm too poor to ski.   :-\

Go during the summers--it's beautiful then and there's plenty to do.

Dude.  I've lived here for ten years.  Trust me, I've been there during the summer.

« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2007, 10:14:12 AM »
I *love* Seattle.

pros: the weather (seriously) - it doesn't rain *that* much and between april-sep/october it is warmish (65-80) and usually sunny (and if it rains, it is probably sunny at some point during the day). it's...temperate. also, there aren't that many stupid people (i think it was named the most educated city last year). lots of job and educational opportunities. lots of things to do - outdoors (mountains to the east and west, lots of lakes, the ocean isn't too far away) and indoors(several sport venues and good music/arts). it's also really pretty, especially on a clear day (mountains and trees and water all around. people are generally nice.

cons: people can be snobby. public transportation is to be desired. traffic can be terrible (but I've seen worse in SoCal and D.C....way worse.) If it snows, the city is screwed (lack of equipment since it rarely happens, and many hills making it difficult for even capable vehicles). it does rain sometimes, and it can get somewhat cold in the winter. but, again, nothing compared to the midwest.

« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2007, 02:04:18 PM »
Banff and Lake Louise are awesome.  But I'm too poor to ski.   :-\

Go during the summers--it's beautiful then and there's plenty to do.

Dude.  I've lived here for ten years.  Trust me, I've been there during the summer.

So then you obviously know there is much more to do in those places than ski.

UFBoldAsLove

• Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2007, 02:16:49 PM »
My college town: Gville-

Recommended if its for law school, after that, not so much. Great weather, atmosphere, the GATORS ;), the clubs suck, but then I'm a bar girl. :D

My home town: Deland --> (We'll go ahead and call this one Daytona/New Symrna Beach/Orlando)

- Recommended if you love the beach, and small town life... and thats about it. lol. Otherwise, avoid it like the plague.

ljg

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2007, 09:00:16 AM »
Boston
NYC
and SF

The three best cities in the world..... No cons :)

Credited!!!  ;D

justbu82

• "it's like Technoligy v. Horse"
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2007, 09:24:55 AM »
Kalamazoo

Pros: The name itself, a recently feature motion picture staring Blossom was made here, Bells Brewery, and Home of the world’s largest medieval conference.

Cons: Steve Colbert ripped on the town, undergrads propagating like the bubonic plague, the name itself, too many pretentious hippies, a one to one ratio of cop to college student, needs more eclectic restaurants.

« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2007, 12:20:23 PM »
Seattle - Recommended

Pros - The summers here are fantastic.  No other place I have been really compares, and I haved lived in hawaii for every summer before the last two.  Just turns into a different city.  Great happy hours, but only a mediocre night life.  Grew up in Tacoma(just south of seattle) which kind of sucks, went to school in seattle(which I loved), now live rent free on the eastside and this place is hellish.  The yuppiest area I have ever seen.  While skiing is very accessible there is only one mountain here which is worth a damn and that is Crystal.  All other ski areas are very limited and crowded.  Whistler is very close, which is awesome for skiing and nightlife.  Sonics got the number 2 draft pick.  Great local bands.

Cons - A way higher COL than people think.  We are definitely getting more expensive.  Skiing is mediocre, winter here is just depressing.  It finally got to me this year.  The worst thing ever is the traffic.  Bad at all times of the day (excluding some weekends).  I have a friend who travels 5 days out of the week for his job. He has been to every major city in the country, and with the possible exception of a few he believes seattle is the worst he has seen.  This would be ok if we had public transportation but it is non-existent and almost seems impossible to build at this point.  People are not especially friendly.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2007, 03:50:54 PM »
My college town: Gville-

Recommended if its for law school, after that, not so much. Great weather, atmosphere, the GATORS ;), the clubs suck, but then I'm a bar girl. :D

My home town: Deland --> (We'll go ahead and call this one Daytona/New Symrna Beach/Orlando)

- Recommended if you love the beach, and small town life... and thats about it. lol. Otherwise, avoid it like the plague.

you *really* need to put up a bikini pic. 

or at least pm one to me  :D

Para Legal

• Go Pipers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2007, 07:54:24 PM »
Chicago:

Awesome town, just...awesome overall. Con: cost of living inversely proportional to the proximity of one's dwelling to the lakefront.

Milwaukee:

Chicago's little sister- not as inexpensive as you think, but still, a fun smaller town- good for a night on the town and great for families as well as singles. You can still see the Cubs/Bulls play in Milwaukee for less than tix cost at home in Chicago.

Con: cost of living inversely proportional to the proximity of one's dwelling to the lakefront.

Western shore of Lake Michigan in general: great place to live and work. Midwestern attitude with big-city perks.

Not that this is stopping me from packing up and moving to the Twin Cities...

Cheers,

Para  :D