Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: document review  (Read 1180 times)

lexylit

document review
« on: August 30, 2004, 07:11:57 PM »
i have never known such heights of boredom, i say to my friend

to which she replies, get used to it. that's how you spend your first 3-4 years as an associate.

they don't tell you that in law school. :'(

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: document review
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 07:18:57 PM »
Eek.  In any firm?  I've never heard my sister talk about that, and she's worked at small firms in the 3 years since graduation (2.5 years of working, if you take out waiting for bar results).  I wonder if that's a big firm thing...  Cool that you're already doing stuff that associates do though :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 07:59:03 PM »
I think it's like that everywhere...until you can pull some seniority and pass on the doc review to other newbies, you get to have fun with the paralegals doing doc reviews and stuff.  I'm sure you do other, more interesting stuff too, but probably more schlep work first.

mukhia

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 12:44:13 AM »
I am going to pretend I didn't read this.

M2

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 12:44:55 AM »
oh great   >:(

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 08:48:03 AM »
I think this is why they tell you that being a lawyer isn't exciting.  it's not all court room drama.  And if you're doing 80hrs/week of doc review at sweatshop firms, I can see why you'd burn out so damn quickly.  I'm conviced doc reviews kill brain cells.

pepem

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 10:09:32 AM »
I am the king of doc review!

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 10:37:56 AM »
The more I hear about this big firm thing, the more I think I'm going to break for private practice as soon as it's financially feasible.

I was reading stuff on greedyassociates.com the other day.  Very disheartening.

I want to actually practice the law... go to court, try cases, help my clients win, only take cases I believe in... you don't get to pick your battles in a sweatshop law firm, though.  In fact, you don't get to try cases at all.  According to most of those people, why so many lawyers stay at large firms is because they're scared to death of seeing the inside of a court room, and they're comfortable in a filthy routine.  For me, that's beyond sad.

ZAP

lexylit

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 12:09:38 PM »
I am the king of doc review!

i don't know if you said this elsewhere, but are you doing that whole early assurance thing at gtown?

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 12:16:51 PM »
I think this is why they tell you that being a lawyer isn't exciting.  it's not all court room drama.  And if you're doing 80hrs/week of doc review at sweatshop firms, I can see why you'd burn out so damn quickly.  I'm conviced doc reviews kill brain cells.

I don't expect excitement, and I actually want to stay away from going to court.  I plan on doing something transactional.  But those requirements could still be met without doing document review.  I don't think I have unreal expectations at all, in that sense.  But I'm glad I've been warned now instead of being three years into being an associate and wondering why I'm still doing doc review :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?