Law School Discussion

What am I?

Sweetpri

• I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
What am I?
« on: November 16, 2006, 02:02:09 PM »
I'm East Indian and normally I just check the "Asian" box, but I've seen a bunch of applications where instead of Asian the choice is Asian-American.  Should I consider myself Asian-American?
This might be a stupid question, but is the "American" part for the US or North America in general?  I'm a Canadian citizen so I'd feel weird calling myself Asian-American.  Should I just check the "other" box on those?
Thank you!

Sweetpri

• I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What am I?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 04:44:38 PM »
I'm talking about when there's not both - I usually do check Asian, just not sure when my only choice is Asian American

iSalute

• Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 05:37:52 PM »
I would do asian american. Asian i believe refers to peoples born in asia. You seem to have been born and raised in America (North America), but do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 02:29:29 AM »
I would put "African American" and then make up a wild story.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 06:11:16 AM »
I'm talking about when there's not both - I usually do check Asian, just not sure when my only choice is Asian American

Is there an "Other" box? I think of Asian as people of Asian descent, while Asian-Americans are people who were born in the US, but I may be totally off here.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 06:13:50 AM »
Hmm, if Asians are considered overrepresented in law school, wouldn't it make more sense to decline to share racial information if this will lower your chances of admission?

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 08:55:37 PM »
They always tell you it's all just for the stats, but of course we know it has to do with affirmative action-type stuff, recruiting more students from underrepresented groups, etc. And that, in turn, only applies to American citizens. So if you are not an American citizen, I believe you can't be considered a minority anyway under the US DOE guidelines.

But still, I would just choose whatever I feel like choosing. What can they do? :)

LawSchoolCutie

• photoshoot with Bryan D. Socal Photography
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sx1ba8emoni
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 05:30:49 PM »
When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought about zoolander staring into the gutter water. Very funny