Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Furthest Commute for Law School  (Read 2680 times)

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
Furthest Commute for Law School
« on: November 16, 2006, 02:34:18 PM »
What's the furthest commute you'll consider for law school?

I know plenty of us are in a position where we don't want to uproot our families, and may even take off to live in a crappy student apartment for 3 years, seeing them only on the weekends.  But if you're not up for the crappy student apartment and part-time family, what's the furthest you'll commute if you don't get into the law school in your city?

Personally I hate any and all commutes, but I talk to other people who commute well over an hour each way for an 8-5 job, which makes me curious if this group of LSDers is more apt to commute longer because you're in class less than 8 hours a day, or commute less because you'll be too busy doing homework.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
Re: Furthest Commute for Law School
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 03:10:24 PM »
i commute about an hour for work.

for law school, i'll minimize my commute by moving closer to school,
or even live in dorms if we end up having kids and my wife stays with her parents while i finish law school

brain_bliss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 03:38:45 PM »
30minutes to an hour and a half.  Just depends on the school, and whether we want to sell our house. 

B
People suffer romantic misconceptions when I tell them I'm a freelance writer.  They think black turtlenecks and clove cigs.  It's more poverty and Ramen noodles.  So, law school.

Check my Law School Numbers Page...

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 03:49:38 PM »
I hate commuting with a passion. I live about 13 miles (or 20-30 minutes) from work now... mostly because it's cheaper.

For law school? I'd drive an hour or so... which is pretty typical. But I've promised my fiance if I go, we can move closer to his job. Or, if I miraculously get into UT, I might be willing to drive a bit further IF we have a kid and can take advantage of Grandparent Day Care.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 04:18:50 PM »
My only options are 25 minutes up the street or moving away and coming back on weekends/every few weeks.  :-\

chancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 04:52:30 PM »
I have a friend attending the weekend program at Hamline.  He said one student flies in from Buffalo every weekend...

I know, not what you are looking for, but I think it's funny.

murph0110

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 09:08:01 PM »
My future options appear to be about one hour (without traffic).   I just do not know, that's a lot of driving everyday... :-[

RN to JD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 08:19:01 AM »
With my current job, I drive from 100 - 150 miles every day I work. SO, my 1 hr drive to school will seem like a breeze.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 08:45:27 AM »
i commute about an hour for work.

for law school, i'll minimize my commute by moving closer to school,
or even live in dorms if we end up having kids and my wife stays with her parents while i finish law school

I am in the EXACT same position- I commute ~3 hours a day: 1 hr to work, another hour to school and then an hour home at night and I am SICK OF IT! I don't care if I have to live in a tent on campus, I want to be able to walk/ride a bike to class.
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

Terrible Ivan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 09:51:54 AM »
I enjoy commuting on mass transit and see it as a great opportunity during law school. I can get two solid hours of reading done on the metro each day. I'll sometimes drive in so I can run errands, head straight somewhere after work, etc., but the $$$ saved is impressive, not to mention the study time one gains.