Law School Discussion

Is Tier 3 and 4 a waste of money??

Einstein

• View Profile
Re: Is Tier 3 and 4 a waste of money??
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2006, 06:24:50 AM »
Wow, I didn't mean to start such a big fight!  But I think I agree with Keno and Pinky - a large part of it depends on how hard you work.  The crap about being a retail manager is just silly - I already have a good career, and whether or not I decide to actually be a lawyer, the law degree will help me move up a lot quicker in my present career. 

This was kind of funny to read  :D

No it wasn't, I want the 5 minutes of my life back.. This arguement has been agrued over and over again.. and each time the conclusion is, T3/T4 grads have a harder time finding work.  And the T3/T4 grads that are not finding jobs, just did not network like they should have during school.  Each time someone states the plethora of judges and lawyers in their city who are T3/T4 then the arg is moot. 

Plus I don't see why these people that are not finding jobs don't create the job for themselves.  I mean come on, it's a JD, you are a lawyer.  Open an office and start doing business. 

The average Joe Shmo does not say, "hey mr. lawyer man, I got a DWI the other night and I need some major help, how much do you cost?"  "Oh wait, where did you go to school?" "Cause if you are one of those T3/T4 grads, then nevermind"  Most people wouldn't even know it is a T3/T4 school if you told them.  I know I didn't know until I started investigating applying to law school.  Use that ignorance to your advantage....

The other day I went to a dentist.. I was getting some fillings.. while I was getting the fillings I asked where he went to school.  He said Puerto Rico, and I immediately started thinking... Wait, law schools in PR admit students with 144 LSATS.. Oh no, is it the same for dentists.. Now my filling hurts, and I am thinking it's got to be that T3/T4 he went to.   ;) :D

But see, your normal person would not ask where you went to school.  Use that..   

Reesespbcup

• Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2006, 06:47:25 AM »

You seem quick to dismiss anecdotal evidence that makes T3 JDs seem less valuable, but more than happy to point to the same type of evidence when it bolsters your assertions regarding a T3 JD.

Aren't you doing the same?

Reesespbcup

• Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2006, 06:49:22 AM »
I know of several guys who went to a T3, finished in the top 1/4 and could not find jobs. The T3 has been mentioned several times in various threads as being well-respected.

I have friends in this position. One got lucky because his parents have connections. The others are still looking.

But are your friends representative? By your own logic they may be the "exception".

ptown

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2006, 07:18:32 AM »
stop beating the horse, he is already dead

people that suck at networking, interviewing, etc are going to be screwed no matter what.  Is it harder (in some locales) to get in from a t3?  sure, but it does not damn you for an eternity to pumping gas to some nepotist rich boy whose daddy got him into harvard.

Like it or not, the free market economy does operate as a meritocracy.  Hard work and results will yield success in the long run, whether you go to yale, cooley, or are dont even have a degree.  I understand that this concept is difficult to comprehend for elitist children who havn't lived a day supporting themselves, but that doesn't make it false.

There is no point to further discussion.

« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2006, 07:22:39 AM »
Some of them are even funny (although I was a bit amused by his monologues yesterday, specially when he created a new "anonymous" user to insult me)... This troll sounds bitter. Maybe he's at a T4 MBA ;)

Dude, I'm working at v25 firm.  Get over yourself.  Just because I don't share your love for the TTT's doesn't mean I'm a flame. 

I don't want others to follow your example of going to a TTT and paying full tuition.

In sum, going to a TTT is a horrible decision as most pre-law students don't understand just how hard it is to obtain gainful employment with a trash degree.

You aren't going to law school for an education, you are going there to get a job.  Going to a TTT means your job options will be incredibly constrained and yet the tuitions are similar to any decent school.  Don't believe me, checkout the NALP directory for employers who visit any given TTT for OCI.

« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2006, 07:31:00 AM »

Dude, I'm working at v25 firm.  Get over yourself.  Just because I don't share your love for the TTT's doesn't mean I'm a flame. 

Making coffee for the partners, eh?

It's called having a summer associate job offer.  I'll make coffee if they wanna pay me 2800 a week.

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2006, 07:31:04 AM »
Some of them are even funny (although I was a bit amused by his monologues yesterday, specially when he created a new "anonymous" user to insult me)... This troll sounds bitter. Maybe he's at a T4 MBA ;)

I don't want others to follow your example of going to a TTT and paying full tuition.

In sum, going to a TTT is a horrible decision as most pre-law students don't understand just how hard it is to obtain gainful employment with a trash degree.

Dude why do you even care.. Stop wasting your time on this board spreading your negativity.  And even if someone can't find a job working for someone else, a JD allows you to work for yourself very very easily.. So if all of these people that you speak of don't have jobs from T3/T4 then they are just lazy.  Go tell them to open a practice out of their garage helping friends out with their criminal charges and traffic tickets.. Of course, this is worst case scenario.  In all reality, they should walk into a bank and tell them they want a small business loan, and open a small practice.  

You must feel really insecure if you work for a v25 firm and you feel the need to come on here and bash people that are having law school aspirations as you do.  

Immaturity, you reek of it.  

« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2006, 07:33:39 AM »

Dude why do you even care.. Stop wasting your time on this board spreading your negativity.  And even if someone can't find a job working for someone else, a JD allows you to work for yourself very very easily.. So if all of these people that you speak of don't have jobs from T3/T4 then they are just lazy.  Go tell them to open a practice out of their garage helping friends out with their criminal charges and traffic tickets.. Of course, this is worst case scenario.  In all reality, they should walk into a bank and tell them they want a small business loan, and open a small practice. 

You must feel really insecure if you work for a v25 firm and you feel the need to come on here and bash people that are having law school aspirations as you do. 

Immaturity, you reek of it. 

Immaturity is when you make a rash decision to become a lawyer at any cost.  While I agree with you about starting your own practice, the reality of the situation is that most TTT grads lack such initiative and will likely end up doing Insurance defense, no-fault, or other such toilet law.

« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2006, 07:35:14 AM »

It's called having a summer associate job offer.  I'll make coffee if they wanna pay me 2800 a week.

Are you in Australia?

Australia?  I'll be making around US $2,800 a week.  I'm sure you can figure out what location I'm talking about.

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2006, 07:45:20 AM »

You aren't going to law school for an education, you are going there to get a job.  Going to a TTT means your job options will be incredibly constrained and yet the tuitions are similar to any decent school.  Don't believe me, checkout the NALP directory for employers who visit any given TTT for OCI.

Are you in Australia?

Australia?  I'll be making around US $2,800 a week.  I'm sure you can figure out what location I'm talking about.

Hmm....