Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Tier 3 and 4 a waste of money??  (Read 7798 times)

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is Tier 3 and 4 a waste of money??
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 07:32:18 AM »
Thanks, you both have really good advice!  I don't even know if I want to work in a Biglaw firm, and I'm definitely not interested in 80 hours/week (I work about 50 now and I doubt I'd want to work too much more!).  And I'm sure I could transfer if I do really well.
My PT have been pretty lame, around 156.  I just got my logic games bible in the book yesterday and I got about a third through it last night.  Should be getting the LR bible in the mail today - so many people here recommended so I thought I 'd try it!  I've taking 4 days + Thanksgiving off before the test so I'm going to keep studying and hope I can do at least a 160.
Good luck to both of you too!

You're in good shape now for Stetson and FIU, I think. Stetson, while expensive, has a fantastic reputation in central Florida.    Plus, you're not going to be guaranteed a better salary going to a higher ranked school because Florida salaries just suck in general outside of Miami.

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 09:27:46 AM »
Well, I'm actually not sure I want to stay in Florida - I've only lived here since April so I'm not attached to it!  Also, to make matters more confusing, my boyfriend is applying to business schools and we're trying our best to coordinate so hopefully our schools will be within an hour of each other!
University of Toledo 0L

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 09:33:03 AM »
Thanks, you both have really good advice!  I don't even know if I want to work in a Biglaw firm, and I'm definitely not interested in 80 hours/week (I work about 50 now and I doubt I'd want to work too much more!).  And I'm sure I could transfer if I do really well.
My PT have been pretty lame, around 156.  I just got my logic games bible in the book yesterday and I got about a third through it last night.  Should be getting the LR bible in the mail today - so many people here recommended so I thought I 'd try it!  I've taking 4 days + Thanksgiving off before the test so I'm going to keep studying and hope I can do at least a 160.
Good luck to both of you too!

The most important part of the whole application is that stupid test. So - as stupid and harsh as it sounds, ignore the rest of your life (unless you've got kids - notice I didn't say 'husband' - or someone sick in the hospital) for three weeks so you can get a few hours in of studying each day AND take at least two practice tests each week (which is still only 6, which just isn't that many, so ... hurry!).

You're not in bad shape for that 160 you want with a 156 BEFORE you've had a chance to read any materials.  You definitely have a shot at isolating the types of problems that you are finding difficult and learning how to work them. What's working against you at this point is time! So, get hoppin'!

And good luck :)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2006, 09:56:32 AM »
Practice logic games like it will save your life. I don't know what section is your weakest, but I can assure you, this is the one section you will improve the most by practicing at.

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2006, 10:31:43 AM »
Thanks so much - I'm so glad I found this board!  I can already see myself improving a lot in Logic Games so hopefully I can avoid getting more then a few wrong in that section.  RC is my crappy section - if I understand the passage I do great on the questions, but if I dont understand what the passage is talking about then I have a lot of trouble.  I wish there was a RC Bible!
SilentSwirl, aside from work and sleep I wont be doing anything but studying until Dec 2nd!  Okay, maybe I'll eat some turkey with my family on Thanksgiving, but other then that I will have no life!
University of Toledo 0L

Einstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2006, 10:50:33 AM »
Thanks so much - I'm so glad I found this board!  I can already see myself improving a lot in Logic Games so hopefully I can avoid getting more then a few wrong in that section.  RC is my crappy section - if I understand the passage I do great on the questions, but if I dont understand what the passage is talking about then I have a lot of trouble.  I wish there was a RC Bible!
SilentSwirl, aside from work and sleep I wont be doing anything but studying until Dec 2nd!  Okay, maybe I'll eat some turkey with my family on Thanksgiving, but other then that I will have no life!

Ah the LSAT bug.. I don't miss it, .. I studied for 8 months.. and got myself to the point of missing -4 to -5 on the games.. then here comes the sept exam and guess how many I missed... -10 yes that is right.. -10.  When I saw that, I threw up a little in my mouth.. You can study your life away.  But when exam time comes, if you are not confident and relaxed, if you freak out during a section, then it is like you never studied at all. 

The best advice I can offer is to study, but also learn to relax.  Because if you cannot do this then it can be very detrimental. 

But this time around on the Dec. exam I have treated the whole thing like "lonewolf"  no studying, then maybe light study a week before.. apply now with my score from sept.  get a couple accepts in my pocket or at least complete apps, then go into the Dec exam completely relaxed, telling myself, it's already going to happen, this is will just be the icing on the cake if you do well. 

Test day, I am going to wake up in my hotel room 30 min before the exam, grab a monster and a donut, drive .1 miles to the test center and proceed to bend the LSAT over and take it's innocence.
Practice LSAT: 147(d), 150, 151,143,152, 156,161,163,161,160,157,163,158,162

University of San Diego School of Law!

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2006, 11:58:14 AM »
You are hysterical  :D
I tend to get really stressed out so my plan to stay calm is to think like I dont care on the day of the test.  Maybe if I tell myself "I'm not sure I want to go to law school," or "at least if I dont go I wont rack up a bunch of debt" I'll be okay - at least a lot calmer then I would be if I was thinking "this test is going to decide my life." 
I dont think I could wake up 30 minutes before the test and go, I need some time to wake myself up!  Good luck!
University of Toledo 0L

Einstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2006, 12:41:18 PM »
Last exam I showed up to the testing center a good 45 minutes before at like 7:45am.  I sat in my car and while I was talking to my girlfriend I started sobbing.. I had been studying for this thing for almost a year, and there I was shaking and sobbing 45 minutes before the exam.. Horrible I tell you, just horrible.  I freaked out during the RC and the games.  I only finished like 22 of the 28 questions on the RC and then the games section I had a large brain fart and went blank.. and rushed the questions.. I even forgot to bubble the last answer.. the proc called time and I was like, *&^% I left the last one blank...

That's why I am waking up 30 minutes before.. So I dont have time to think about it.. I just go and do it.. I am a naturally nervous person so I am used to my nerves F'ing with me, but OMG Sept 30th took me by surprise, my body took me by surprise and threw me to the sharks..  :-[
Practice LSAT: 147(d), 150, 151,143,152, 156,161,163,161,160,157,163,158,162

University of San Diego School of Law!

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2006, 12:43:18 PM »
The LSAT exam in London didn't start until 2pm. Initially this sounded really nice so I could sleep in and be relaxed, but when the watch was approaching 7pm and there was still one section of logic games to do, it turned pretty bad fast :/

GUsigma307

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - J2thauL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2006, 01:10:54 PM »
I'm a 1L at Texas Tech (a tier 3, I believe). Depending on what kind of law you want to go into, it doesn't matter what rank your school is. It's more important that you go to a school you're happy at. Sometimes schools aren't ranked because they're young. Everyone (except the people who are in the ranked schools) will tell you that rankings don't mean anything. Your reputation is more important 5 years after you graduate than what school you went to. I passed up a tier 1 to go here because I liked the school better.
1L at Texas Tech and ALMOST DONE with the first semester!