Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: jd vs. mba  (Read 3362 times)

okaymanup

• View Profile
    • Email
jd vs. mba
« on: November 16, 2006, 03:47:15 AM »
does anyone have a good broad comparison in terms of job prospects, salaries, competition and pros and cons?

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: jd vs. mba
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 08:05:27 AM »
I think the conventional wisdom these days says that getting an MBA is not worth the time or money. The employment prospects are not good at all, even coming out of top schools. Only about 78% of Stanford grads have jobs lined up at graduation, and I'm sure the lower ranked schools are much worse. The starting pay is lower, and of course MBA programs are a dime a dozen so the competition is fierce. I worked with someone who had a BBA who told me there was really no reason to go get an MBA because companies like to hire people with BBAs- they're cheaper. In addition, there's no point going to get an MBA without any work experience- most good programs should require at least 2 years and generally speaking students are usually in their later 20s.

The only benefit to getting an MBA is that sometimes companies will pay for it or you can do them via distance learning. I'd say the only time it's really worth it to get one is if you're working for a company that's willing to pay for it or where you need an MBA to progress further up the career ladder.

WildFool

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 09:27:07 AM »
does anyone have a good broad comparison in terms of job prospects, salaries, competition and pros and cons?

I was ready to get an MBA and then get my JD.  I took the GMAT, applied to schools, got in, was ready to send in my deposit...  but then I did one last search just to make sure it all was worth it and I found three articles to convince me it def. was not worth it.  Below are the articles listed from best to worst.  The first one is most eye opening as it states EMPIRCAL evidence shows that getting an MBA may not be worth it.  Here are the links:

http://cbet.uwaterloo.ca/MBA-reallyworth.html

http://www.quintcareers.com/MBA_degree.html

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/oct2004/bs20041028_5621_bs001.htm

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 09:44:22 AM »
I had considered the MBA, did my research, took a GMAT prep course and the day I was scheduled to take the test I cancelled my appointment. I agree with everything Queencruella said. The MBA is more of an all-purpose feather in your hat once you've been out in the business world for 2-10 years, or a mid-stream career changer into IB, IT, etc... I think it is a great idea for some (like the Aerospace Engineer who wants to get into Business Development or the Marketing Manager who wants to segue into Investment Banking), but it isn't a good idea to go with the intent that you'll figure out what to do with it later nor is it a guarantee of an easy jump into a good job with lots of money.

I feel so bad for the kids who find MBA programs fresh out of undergrad and then can't find a job b/c they don't have the work experience to match the degree and few are going to hire an MBA for an entry level position.
Vanderbilt 2010

Cube Farmer

• Sr. Citizen
  • The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 11:24:44 AM »
One of my co-workers has an MBA from a pretty decent school.....He is now working at the same place I am, making the same amount of money. Is his growth potential higher, I have my doubts.
In: Texas Tech ($), Tulsa ($$$); South Texas ($); Baylor; SMU
Waitlist: Oklahoma; Houston; Denver
Rejection: Texas; Georgetown; Harvard; Colorado; Northwestern; ASU;

paigeroo

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 12:33:21 PM »

Why not a JD and MBA?

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 12:40:46 PM »

Why not a JD and MBA?

It's not really worth the extra cash. Again, it's not that hard to go back and get an MBA later on, and many employers will pay for it if they want you to have it (or at least pay for some of it), and you can do an executive MBA or a distance learning MBA.

cbm_flyer

• not me or my family; feel bad for the dog, though
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 12:47:02 PM »
It's only another year...

;)

cbm_flyer

• not me or my family; feel bad for the dog, though
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 01:05:32 PM »
It's only another year...

;)

...of paying tuition, books, and fees and not earning a salary or having good health care.

Yesh, I'm having enough trouble swallowing the idea of doing that for three years, let alone four.  Of course, if the miracle happened that I got into one of these new-fangled three-year programs...

Still dig those boobs; less crazy about the actress wearing them.  But that would be for another board.  :)

plaintext10

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 07:29:34 PM »

A MBA certainly has value, but not in the manner I believe the question is being raised.  If you have an interest in corporate law or going in-house, your employer should pay for it at the time it is needed (7 to 10 years post graduation).  If you plan on getting your JD, I certainly wouldn't acquire additional debt.  Wait until you qualify for an executive MBA, and do it on your employer's dime.