Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bargaining for scholarships  (Read 2081 times)

Tyrael

• View Profile
Re: Bargaining for scholarships
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 02:02:18 AM »
Last year Cardozo law school actually called me in June, a few months after I was accepted, and said that they might have some money left over to give if I chose to attend.  A few of my friends received similar offers from various law schools so even schools that you are no longer considering may come back and try to offer you some money to get you to come. 

pinkytrc

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pinkytrc
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers- drop by, leave a comment!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 04:41:37 PM »
I never thought of that!  thanks!
Brad Pitt Pic-Sorry guys, your welcome girls!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pinkytrc

terpsichore

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 04:47:06 PM »
Last year I received a generous amount of scholarship money from one school and none from another.  Providing a copy of the letter confirming my scholarship to the latter school resulted in two, equal scholarship offers.

pinkytrc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 11:05:50 AM »
Last year I received a generous amount of scholarship money from one school and none from another.  Providing a copy of the letter confirming my scholarship to the latter school resulted in two, equal scholarship offers.

Wow, that's awesome!  I have to get on this one!!!

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 01:54:24 PM »

Nice!

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 02:13:22 PM »
Just be real nice. Say listen I love your school but this school that is ranked compaarably is giving me $$$$ and I'd really like to see you guys make a competitive offer so I could attend you instead.

If you're gonna go this route, don't plan on getting an answer much earlier than a week or two before the deposit deadline. Basically if you're not offered a scholarship you're going to be fighting over table scraps and they won't know until late how much they can offer.

Yup.

I think this is why it worked for my brother but not for me: he called, but since I keep weird hours, I had to fax requests. 

Also, some schools (i.e., Michigan) have a limit between the non-full tuition scholarships and the full tuition named scholarships. 
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

pinkytrc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 04:38:39 PM »
I would assume that these should be similar schools?  As far as geographically and standing-wise?  Or one or the other even?

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 05:11:57 PM »
I'm of the opinion that if you have to ask how to do this, you probably won't have great results. Anything is possible with a little charm, but you can't force it.

pinkytrc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 05:21:40 PM »
I'm of the opinion that if you have to ask how to do this, you probably won't have great results. Anything is possible with a little charm, but you can't force it.

Hmmm...didn't think it would hurt to see other people's experiences.  It was just something I heard of on LSD that I hadn't thought of before.  It couldn't hurt to see if maybe people had better results by asking over the phone than by mail.  Isn't that what LSD is for?  Advice, past experiences, and discussion?

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 05:49:12 PM »

Hmmm...didn't think it would hurt to see other people's experiences.  It was just something I heard of on LSD that I hadn't thought of before.  It couldn't hurt to see if maybe people had better results by asking over the phone than by mail.  Isn't that what LSD is for?  Advice, past experiences, and discussion?

He can speak for himself, but I think Spaulding's point is that there's an art to negotiation that's hard to learn without doing - as much or more turns on style as on mechanics.  If you're not already experienced at getting what you want in other contexts, you should temper your expectations accordingly. 

That's true, but negotiating with law schools isn't like the negotiation they teach you in b-school.
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.