Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New York Law: Useless?  (Read 1955 times)

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New York Law: Useless?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 08:52:19 AM »
In your other post, you said you had a 159. Way too good for NYLS. You're talking more SJU, the Jersey schools, possibly Brooklyn, Cardozo or Fordham PT...don't sell yourself short.

I appreciate the encouragement, but the subsequent post is correct I think: Cardozo is really out of scope at this point: I mean, 159 ain't gonna cut it you know.  Brooklyn is my "reach" now and I'm prayin' I get in there, but even that is far.  And forget about Fordham c'mon no chance there.

Ha sure I am a pessimist, and I am looking Seton, etc., but I guess I didn't frame my post within the context of wanting to stay in NYC; St. Johns is ok, but still, ALL of these better places, I'm below the median LSAT so that is the only reason I say, DEFINITELY, will get into nylaw.

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 11:55:50 AM »
However, you are older with work experience. These kind of things work in your favor. I got into Fordham being under the 25% LSAT. It's worth a try, you never know what schools are looking for.

JellyBelly

• should I wear RED or PLAID??????????????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 08:31:16 PM »
is NYLS really as bad as everyone says?

what is the average score that they accept? the lowest score that could get in?

on their website, there is  student that is quoted saying that he lsat was = to an F, but the adcomms saw past her. ???

whats that all about?

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 08:42:57 PM »
Their 25th is 153/2.95 and their 75th 157/3.42
Pretty close in LSAT numbers, quite a gap in GPA, not sure what could explain this, and I am not sure if its as bad as people say. I've seen quite a few (within reason, mind you) NYLS grads placed at larger firms, so I can't imagine it's totally hopeless. But definitly a school where you'd want to be in the top 5%.

Donkey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the beef?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 09:43:12 PM »
To the OP: Do NOT go to NYLS. You sound like you have a decent career lined up already. Don't ditch it, forgo the income, and pay for LS. You can always apply to other schools and see what happens.
Hippies suck.

cultural_vacuum

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 08:26:39 PM »
Iceslip, with a 60K salary right now, with no grad school debt, I would advise you to forget about law school, especially if your goal is to make more money. You are not likely to get accepted to a school that will GUARANTEE  a substantially higher salary that will make taking on all the debt worthwhile with your LSAT score. You will be giving up 180K in income, and probably taking out 150K-180K in loans, or more if you go to law school.

Most of the schools in your range (even Cardozo/Brooklyn et. al) cannot Guarantee those kinds of high salaries they boast about in their admissions brochures. USNews stats are heavily inflated as well. Only the top 10-15% or so from schools like that make that kind of money straight out of law school. Remember, NYC is probably the most competitive legal job market in country for lawyers.

Honestly, if I made 60K right now, I wouldn't be in law school. Wait until your employer is willing to pay for an MBA or get some more experience under your belt for a few years and either get promoted or lateral somewhere where you can make the kind of money you want.

By the way, I go to a state school which is much less expensive than the schools you're considering and people still worry about debt. Even though the region I live in is fairly affordable, 80-90K of debt + undergrad debt is no joke when a realistic starting salary is around 35-50K per year.

cultural_vacuum

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 08:29:27 PM »
If you want to see what happens to a lot of fresh attorneys who didn't make the top of the class at tier 2 schools in cities like NY, check out this blog.

temporaryattorney.blogspot.co m

Scary, but very real.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 08:33:33 PM »
There's a lot of educated idiots out there, don't use them as an example.

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 02:47:54 AM »
the decision is actually pretty easy:

if you want to be a lawyer, go to NYLS.

OR

if you want to stay in your current job, dont go to NYLS.

There's no way to gauge how much you will be making as a lawyer from starting salary stats. Sure, you may not make 60Gs coming out - but you are sure to make well over that in a couple years out. 

guyminuslife

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fascism -- @#!* Yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 02:59:27 AM »
Judge Judy, Felix Frankfurter, and John Marshall Harlan can't all be wrong!

(Well, actually, they can. Check out Baker v. Carr and Dumb Redneck v. Dumb Redneck.)

Am I prejudiced against rednecks? My family's from Arkansas. It's like black people can say the n-word.

No attention span, no attention span. What was this thread about? Oh, yeah, NYLS. Won't get you in the door as easy as Columbia, but in the end, what matters more is how good of a lawyer you are. Which has to do with a lot of other things besides which school you went to.

Redneck. Or are we hicks? Hillbillies?