Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New York Law: Useless?  (Read 1965 times)

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
New York Law: Useless?
« on: November 15, 2006, 04:43:29 PM »
So...if I ONLY get into NY Law (and this is very possible, right now), is it useless in terms of making money?  I make $60k now, doing biz. consulting right out of undergrad, and obviously staying in this for ~4 years, you're in the $85,000+ right.  So economically guys, do you think it's worth going to law school, spending that money, that effort and sweat, if it's NY law?  I want to work in NJ/NYC ONLY.  NO desire to go anywhere else...

at NY Law, unless you are top 5-10% at worst, you don't have a chance of doing sh*t right from my understanding (sh*t meaning a law job that pays more than 60k)?  Unless one really cares to toil in law, be it for 40k or 140k, is it worth it at an ny law?

Thanks.

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
Re: New York Law: Useless?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 04:46:45 PM »
What are your numbers? Why are you so sure you don't have a chance elsewhere?

lily897

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 04:54:21 PM »
Hey! My dad's best friend went to NY Law, and he has his own practice, and does very very well. I don't know how much he makes, but he has 2 mercedes, an escalade, goes to europe on vacation a lot and lives in a very nice house. haha. So... not so bad, right?

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 04:56:14 PM »
Hey! My dad's best friend went to NY Law, and he has his own practice, and does very very well. I don't know how much he makes, but he has 2 mercedes, an escalade, goes to europe on vacation a lot and lives in a very nice house. haha. So... not so bad, right?

haha for real man...he's the exception though right you know.  and private practice is different (and you know, in law, statistically, private practice for minority VERY difficult to make it big) ha cause it's still America.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 05:08:23 PM »
do you really want to go to law school?

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 05:29:06 PM »
If you want to study law, go for NYLS, from all I can see it's a good school, even though not among the best out there. Charles Philips, president of Oracle is a NYLS grad, so it's not like your career is going to fall dead.

That being said, you would be forced to really make it to the top of your class to get noticed by the big firms.

mae8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 05:32:00 PM »
op, please dont go to nyls if you think it would be an economically sound decision.
Emory '09

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 09:26:09 PM »
In your other post, you said you had a 159. Way too good for NYLS. You're talking more SJU, the Jersey schools, possibly Brooklyn, Cardozo or Fordham PT...don't sell yourself short.

Tyrael

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 02:04:18 AM »
In your other post, you said you had a 159. Way too good for NYLS. You're talking more SJU, the Jersey schools, possibly Brooklyn, Cardozo or Fordham PT...don't sell yourself short.

If you have a 159 LSAT I don't know why you're even considering NYLS...

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 06:50:59 AM »
No need to be in the 25th percentile, is there? ;) Getting in is all you need, even if you're the 1st percentile.