Law School Discussion

Some advice for international applicant

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
Some advice for international applicant
« on: November 15, 2006, 10:27:16 AM »
Hey, my first post and I figured I'd start by asking a few questions since it seems there are well qualified people on these boards. I have submitted my law school applications today, and my school list is something like; Columbia (ED), NYU, Fordham, Rutger's Newark, St. John's and New York Law School.

The questions are two-fold, assuming I don't get any of my top 3's, how do you guys rate Rutger's, St. John's and NYLS compared to eachother? I do not know enough about these to really make a decision, I simply selected them as safetly choices in the NYC area.

Second question is, my LSAT score is a bit short for my top 3 choices, but I have extensive background that might help. The real question however is, do you believe / know / suspect that law schools give any wiggle room in LSAT scores to English foreign speakers? I heard some rumors that minority students gets an "8 point bonus" to their LSAT score, logically I would assume this applies to foreign speakers as well?

Anyhow, hoping someone can give me a head ups, cheers :)

Re: Some advice for international applicant
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 05:29:07 PM »
To get a feedback, I think you must tell your lsat and gpa range.

For a person who apply to Columbia and NYU, NYLS or St. John's can't be a safety. You can have better safety schools, like Fordham.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 07:18:50 PM »
I have no idea, the 8 points was something I found on www.vault.com's message boards for Howard university, an alleged margine for minority applicants.

For a person who apply to Columbia and NYU, NYLS or St. John's can't be a safety. You can have better safety schools, like Fordham.
Not really, Fordham is in my prime target, not a safetly tbh. Columbia is a far reach, I am nowhere near the numbers, but the fact that I have several years of experience in finance management and corporate economics made me be optimistic enough to put in a Columbia/NYU application. I have little to no expectations of being admitted.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 12:30:19 AM »
I would forget about the 8 points nonsense. That's half rumor, half conjecture. And even if it's true, it would be for minority students, not international students.

Previous posts are correct that NYLS and NYU are in very different leagues. NYLS could be a safety for people who have no chance at NYU whatsoever. Have you thought of Brooklyn, Cardozo and Hofstra?

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 08:04:58 AM »
Weather's pretty good, had some snow a few days ago, but it's gone again ;) Not too shabby for Norway in November tbh, moving to the NYC area would actually be an improvement... heh.

Well gilles, my applications are sort of like this;

Superreach;
NYU
Columbia

Reach;
Fordham

Targets;
Brooklyn
Hofstra
Seton Hall
Cardozo
St. John's

Safety;
NYLS
Rutger's Newark
Florida International
U of Florida - Levins

I have this wide spread on my schools because that is what my consultations with Anne Ivey concluded with. My 3.0 JD CAS GPA and 156 LSAT is nowhere near even reach level on my top schools, but due to my background being "exceptionally well suited" to law school in the words of Ms. Ivey, she still recommended I put in the applications. As money isn't a big issue, I'd rather pay $85 for an extra application than having to wonder "what if" for the rest of my life.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 11:27:54 AM »
As money isn't a big issue, I'd rather pay $85 for an extra application than having to wonder "what if" for the rest of my life.

What would you say to someone who every week of their life spends 20$ on lottery tickets, alleging that "it's not that much money, and I'd rather take the chance than wonder 'what if' for the rest of my life?". Can this person win? Yes. Is it a good financial decision? No.

I cannot imagine what a background 'exceptionally well suited' to law is, but I strongly doubt that schools would put so much weight on such considerations that it would make them overlook the numbers. It seems like you have your categories off by one. Brooklyn and Cardozo are already reaches, and Fordham is a super reach. NYU and CLS are thus upgraded to 'dream-on', or to 'should have given the money to charity'.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »
*shrug*

I don't care what people spend their $20 a week on. So what if the few bucks I spent are on the dream on category, what good would those dollars have done me in the long run? You're going to spend $150k+ on getting a law degree, and you'd be picky about a few hundred for some extra applications?

As for what experience is exceptionally well suited, neither do I. In my case, my experience lies in financial consulting, mostly working on M&A stuff and similar, which is fairly equal to the direction I intend to go with law school