Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Predict the Higher LSAT score: English major or Computer Science Major?  (Read 2598 times)

kingoftorts

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 210
    • View Profile
Generalizing, of course. 

brothernads

  • Guest
Re: Predict the Higher LSAT score: English major or Computer Science Major?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 03:31:15 PM »
I'd say it's a tossup...I'm an English / Comp. Sci. double major and I got a 169. The Comp. Sci. side of me kills the Logic Games, while the English side does well with the RC and LR.

M2

  • Guest
Re: Predict the Higher LSAT score: English major or Computer Science Major?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 03:40:17 PM »
Im a comp sci major and I got a 168.

Comp sci didn't help me AT ALL with the Logic Games... in fact it didn't help me with anything.
Although a semi-related pure logic class did help a lot

dubris

  • Guest
Re: Predict the Higher LSAT score: English major or Computer Science Major?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 03:43:36 PM »
I'm going to say English majors since you can practice games and improve easier than LR or RC (which I'm guessing Comp Sci majors would struggle in .)

Engineering majors destroy games. Not sure about Comp Sci (they're totally different majors.)

M2

  • Guest
Re: Predict the Higher LSAT score: English major or Computer Science Major?
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 03:45:42 PM »
I'm going to say English majors since you can practice games and improve easier than LR or RC (which I'm guessing Comp Sci majors would struggle in .)

Engineering majors destroy games. Not sure about Comp Sci (they're totally different majors.)

My law advisor told me that most CSCI majors kill logic games... but i couldn't even get 10 raw points in the LG section when I took my first test...

Although after a lot of practice i did get better

burghblast

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 2178
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
Re: Predict the Higher LSAT score: English major or Computer Science Major?
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 04:49:51 PM »
Speaking as someone with an engineering degree who has worked with compu-geeks for the past 5 years, I would be amazed if engineers outperformed on a general basis anyone whose major required reading and writing.  True, the logic games may come naturally, but that's only 25% of the exam.  The other 75% requires reading comprehension skills.  At Penn State, exactly 6 of 130+ credits required for an engineering degree are reading/writing related.

Bisquick

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1692
    • View Profile
Re: Predict the Higher LSAT score: English major or Computer Science Major?
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 05:00:55 PM »
Speaking as someone with an engineering degree who has worked with compu-geeks for the past 5 years, I would be amazed if engineers outperformed on a general basis anyone whose major required reading and writing. True, the logic games may come naturally, but that's only 25% of the exam. The other 75% requires reading comprehension skills. At Penn State, exactly 6 of 130+ credits required for an engineering degree are reading/writing related.

Most engineers I know can read, they just can't write.
3.8/155

The ZAPINATOR

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 6380
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
Re: Predict the Higher LSAT score: English major or Computer Science Major?
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 05:06:32 PM »
I'd have to say the English majors would have the edge... although the games would probably present more of a problem than the other parts, and I'd think the Comp. Sci people would be a little better at the games.  As you said, this is all purely hypothetical.

ZAP

matt39754

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Predict the Higher LSAT score: English major or Computer Science Major?
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 06:30:23 PM »
Im dual majoring in physics and EE ... and yes lg are simple; however, rc and lr arent that bad either.  I actually am required to read a TON (yeah...you heard me right - 2000lbs worth)of technical work for both class and to keep current on present research.  Reading certain physics journals put any article on the lsat to shame in terms of difficulty.  So, even though I'm biased, Im gonna say the engineer would do better.  However my opinion probably doesnt count b/c I think lowly of liberal arts majors.

Bisquick

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1692
    • View Profile
Re: Predict the Higher LSAT score: English major or Computer Science Major?
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 06:44:37 PM »
Im dual majoring in physics and EE ... and yes lg are simple; however, rc and lr arent that bad either.  I actually am required to read a TON (yeah...you heard me right - 2000lbs worth)of technical work for both class and to keep current on present research.  Reading certain physics journals put any article on the lsat to shame in terms of difficulty.  So, even though I'm biased, Im gonna say the engineer would do better.  However my opinion probably doesnt count b/c I think lowly of liberal arts majors.

As an engineer, I did have to chuckle when people on here got confused by the science passages on the LSAT.  Most of them were about the level of a high school science text and were cake compared to journal articles.  I always disliked the passages about art the most.
3.8/155