Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Tech  (Read 12744 times)

lawraider

• View Profile
Re: Texas Tech
« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2007, 12:06:24 PM »
Lots of new apartment complexes have been built recently.  The rental market is a little overbuilt so it is a renter's market.  Because it is a college town its a little harder to find apartments with W/D connections.  There are also lots of houses available to rent at pretty good prices.  We pay just under $500 a mo. for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment with w/d connections.  You could probably find a little getto apartment for as little as 300-350 or pay about as much as you want to live in some of the upper-end apartments.  When you go looking for an apartment pick up an apartment guide at one of the grocery stores and you will have a good idea of whats available.  If you look up Lubbock on a cost of living index it is very low. 

Random thoughts: They say Lubbock has more places to eat and doctors per capita then any other city.  It is a unique place.  Some of my friends from out of state like to use breaks to travel around Texas. 

AllenA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2007, 01:52:20 AM »
Alright so there will still be places in June?  Honestly one of the biggest problems near my current school (UCLA) is that there are virtually no places to rent, and those that open up are gone within hours.  Lubbock looks like it'll be an interesting place to live, I've heard it is small, but again people seem to really like it.

AllenA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2007, 05:51:08 PM »
Also I'm a bit worried, I don't have any real employment, is that going ot bar me from most places in Lubbock?  I plan to use loans to pay my cost of living.

Thanks again for all the help!

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2007, 06:07:14 PM »
Lubbock is very cheap to live in.  I payed $495 for a 1000 sq. ft. townhouse my last semester in college (also sacrificed some safety, but oh well).  As for the dust storms, those are not an everyday occurance.  I had a great time living there when I was an UG.  If anyone wants advice on where to look for housing, let me know. 
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2007, 08:32:33 PM »
Did anyone get a financial aid offer from Tech yet?  I got a nice scholarship, but will need the loans for living expenses.

AllenA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2007, 09:41:12 PM »
I got a scholarship.  Not the biggest in the world, however it includes In State tuition which will be a huge help next year.  No word yet on any of my other financial aid, I'm in the same position where I will need the aid for living expenses and moving.

kimmie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2007, 12:13:47 PM »
I went to Lubbock this past weekend to look for apartments.  All of the apartments I looked at are pre-leasing for July and August.  I was very suprised that there is already waiting lists at some place.  I was also suprised at how high the rent was at some of the newer apartments that are a little further out - about what I pay in Austin.  There are also lots of specials going on that I was told will end at the end of March and April.  I decided on an older apartment that has been recently remodeled and got a two bedroom/two bath for about $660.  I was told that leasing houses/duplexes is less expensive, but I really like to have access to a pool and fitness facility.

Also, all of Lubbock seems to be under construction - especially right around campus.  We had a hard time getting around and there was lots of traffic even though it was Spring Break.

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2007, 09:50:17 AM »
Did anyone get a financial aid offer from Tech yet?  I got a nice scholarship, but will need the loans for living expenses.

In case anyone else is curious, I called Tech and they said that they are going to start sending financial aid awards the first week of April.

kimmie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »
Any one going to Admitted Student Day this Saturday?

mij

• P.S....
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2007, 02:49:46 PM »
I went to the admitted students day for the morning.  I thought the mock class was pretty interesting.  Sucks to be the "numbers guy" though.  I guess we'll all be there at some point in the next year!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein