Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Tech  (Read 12846 times)

lawraider

• View Profile
Re: Texas Tech
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2007, 02:04:37 PM »
I've recently been accepted to Tech, but am still waiting for the bulk of my schools before I make a decision. However, they did offer me a scholarship, but it's contingent on being in the top 1/3 or the class. From your experience, do you happen to know what that cutoff is generally about? And how hard is it to achieve it? Like how many hours/week did you spend studying (outside of classes I mean). I have to give them at least some preliminary notice by March 1st, so I'm trying to collect as much data before sending them a deposit to at least reserve the scholarship if I should take them up on it.

Like most law schools, your grade is based on how you do relative to everyone else.  I had to stay in the top 1/3 to keep my scholarship, which kinda turned into a blessing and I ended up ranked in the top 10% after my first year.  If your awarded a scholarship you have the ability to stay in the top 1/3, you have to decide how much you want it.  I've found that doing well requires you to try to go the extra mile, but you don't have to kill yourself.  In my experience, there are a small minority of really competitive students.  People share outlines all the time and don't hide books and that sort of thing.  I can tell you what has worked for me and you can decide if that is to much for you.  I will say that my wife and I are involved in our church and different student organizations, and I have plenty of free time throughout most of the year.  We've met a lot of great people and have made some great friends here.

Here is what I think is important if you want to do really well....
1. Know yourself - learn what works for you and don't waste time trying to do what everyone else says they are doing.
2. Go to class - unlike college, people don't skip a lot, but if you go to every class you will have an edge.
3. Read...this isn't college.   Keep up with your reading, not everyone will. 
4.. Go to tutoring - 1Ls have tutors for every class that do 1-hour sessions each week.  Most people will not go to the majority of these.  If you try to go to most of these, you will have an edge on 90% of your class.
5. Network - if studygroups work for you then find good people to study with.  If outlines help you, trade with people and get outlines from people who made an A in the course. 
6. Cramming is good.  Many won't tell you this, but law school tests tend to reward cramming.  Studying for several hours at a time in the days before a test will pay off bigtime.
7. Don't blow off Legal Practice...spend extra time on research assignments and check your work.  A little extra effort will make a big difference in the curve.

Thats what has worked for me.  I enjoy my freetime and its not worth it to me to put in an extreme amount of time studying to try to compete for the very top spots in the class.  If it is for you, thats great.  I didn't really study at all (besides keeping up with the reading and going to tutoring) until about a week before finals.  Then I studied a lot. 

Top 50% is usually somewhere between a C and C+ average.  To keep in the top 1/3 you usually need to have a B- or better. 

Tech had more people accept than they expected in my class and it was one of the biggest classes ever.  I think I had 79 in my section and around 20 in my legal practice classes.  I've been told they were going to try to be more selective and not let that happen again.  I believe this year's 1L sections are smaller.

Not sure I answered every question...hopefully thats helpful. 

Oh, I've collected outlines for every class in every 1L section, from nearly all of the professors.  (I've got more than 150 in all).  If any of you decide to come next year and want some good outlines PM me when classes start and I'll send you the outlines you need.  (Always great to have some outlines to start out with and to trade for more).   

kimmie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
Wow - thanks Lawraider for all the info!  I will be going to Tech this fall and am very excited about it.  It is great to hear from people who have good things to say about the school.

rukiddin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2007, 10:13:21 AM »
Very helpful. Thanks for the info!  :)

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2007, 04:29:57 PM »
I did my UG at TTU and had a GREAT experience.  Lubbock gets a bad rep, but it is all what you make of it.  I have had plenty of friends at the law school tell me how much they enjoyed it.  One of them is even working in NY right now.  They have a good reputation for training a "lawyer's lawyer".  My pops tells me that he doesn't care what the rankings say, he's met many, many fantastic lawyers who came out of Tech.  You would do well to go to Tech.
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010

rukiddin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2007, 10:24:28 AM »
IN AT TECH!!! Snail mail, small envelope, very excited!! No mention of $$$ though. Do they usually send that info out with acceptances or do they wait until later...?  :-\

lawraider

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2007, 05:31:27 PM »
IN AT TECH!!! Snail mail, small envelope, very excited!! No mention of $$$ though. Do they usually send that info out with acceptances or do they wait until later...?  :-\

Congrats...I got it with my acceptance.  No idea what they are doing now though.

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2007, 04:06:52 PM »
Just wanted to share my experience at the Tech day for accepted students with scholarships that was held this past Friday.  Not sure if there is another thread out there regarding this event or not.  Basically, I was blown away by the reception we received at Tech.  We had lunch, sat in on a Con Law class, were given a tour by 3L's, had a question answer session with current 3L's, observed a mock trial by the Board of Barristers, and had dinner with faculty.  Everyone, faculty included, was warm and welcoming.  The fact that the faculty took their personal time to sit and visit with us and have dinner with us was awesome.  The Dean and his wife were there as well and took time to meet and visit with each and every prospective student.  One of the things that the Dean said was that if the faculty cares so much about prospective students, imagine how much they will care when you are enrolled in their class.  Also, in the the Con. Law course that we observed, the professor knew each student by name!  The whole experience was VERY different from other schools I have visited.

dallasgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: March 12, 2007, 02:12:51 AM »
Just wanted to share my experience at the Tech day for accepted students with scholarships that was held this past Friday.  Not sure if there is another thread out there regarding this event or not.  Basically, I was blown away by the reception we received at Tech.  We had lunch, sat in on a Con Law class, were given a tour by 3L's, had a question answer session with current 3L's, observed a mock trial by the Board of Barristers, and had dinner with faculty.  Everyone, faculty included, was warm and welcoming.  The fact that the faculty took their personal time to sit and visit with us and have dinner with us was awesome.  The Dean and his wife were there as well and took time to meet and visit with each and every prospective student.  One of the things that the Dean said was that if the faculty cares so much about prospective students, imagine how much they will care when you are enrolled in their class.  Also, in the the Con. Law course that we observed, the professor knew each student by name!  The whole experience was VERY different from other schools I have visited.

That was my class you sat in on...and yes, the faculty is really like that when your a student as well! Classes are now smaller than 75 students, now sections are around 50-55.  Legal practice class is even smaller, they divide one section into 3 or 4 legal practice classes so you have no more than 15- 20 tops. And just so you know- I have yet to have an instructor who I didnt like.

TX06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 12, 2007, 11:11:58 AM »
One L at Tech Law here, if you have any questions post em up or send me a message. This was a great resource when I was deciding on what school to attend. It is Spring Break for us right now, so Ill check the forum in a few days and try to answer any questions you have. I wont have time to check the forum after this week.
Good luck to all of you!

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2007, 11:22:10 AM »
One L at Tech Law here, if you have any questions post em up or send me a message. This was a great resource when I was deciding on what school to attend. It is Spring Break for us right now, so Ill check the forum in a few days and try to answer any questions you have. I wont have time to check the forum after this week.
Good luck to all of you!

Thanks for offering to answer questions.  I have so many I do not know where to start.  One thing I have been wondering about is the academic success Dean.  I met her at the function.  She was saying that she suggests that students study 55-60 hours per week, not including class time.  This seemed like a bit much to me.  What is your experience?  Also, are you required to go to her for sessions?