Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Tech  (Read 12935 times)

kimmie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Texas Tech
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2006, 03:43:35 PM »
Smack -

Just curious as to when you went complete and if you received the email saying your file was going to the review committee?  If so, when?  I received that email on 11/28.  Hoping I get a decision soon.  Thanks!!

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2006, 03:51:39 PM »
Smack -

Just curious as to when you went complete and if you received the email saying your file was going to the review committee?  If so, when?  I received that email on 11/28.  Hoping I get a decision soon.  Thanks!!

I never got an e-mail saying I was complete or that my file was in review.  The only one I was sent was the one telling me that they received my app.  Hope you get your letter soon!

kimmie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2006, 03:55:11 PM »
Thanks for the response, Smack.  Hopefully I will hear something this week!!!

GUsigma307

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - J2thauL
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2006, 04:23:31 PM »
Plan on having a co signer if you're not working. My dad had to cosign for me. They're pretty liberal with that stuff though. It's a college town so they're used to it, especially with grad students.
1L at Texas Tech and ALMOST DONE with the first semester!

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2006, 11:00:47 AM »
GUsigma

Just wanted to see if your finals are over!

GUsigma307

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - J2thauL
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2006, 03:12:02 AM »
YES! They're over and I'm officially done with my first semester of law school! We'll see what my grades are like, but for now I'm just happy to be done. :)
1L at Texas Tech and ALMOST DONE with the first semester!

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - burgamy14
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2006, 01:20:53 AM »
Hey guys, I'm a 2L at Tech and posted on this board quite a bit back when I was looking into schools myself. If you have any specific questions I can try and answer them, though I doubt I'll check up on this board daily. I tried to keep up occasionally with the one last year and the thing went for something like a hundred pages.....

I will say that I love Tech Law and Lubbock isn't as bad as some make it out to be. It's actually quite livable and the only downside is its relative isolation from seemingly everywhere else in Texas, so road trips can be quite lengthy.

And I couldn't find the link, but somewhere on Tech's main website is a "future projects" page that has blueprints and rendering of the new addition to the law school they've just started working on (which for some reason seemed to kick off right around the time we began studying for finals). Unfortunately for me I will probably have graduated before they're done working on it, but all '07 1L's will probably get two full years to enjoy the new courtroom and lecture hall.

Anyway, good luck with the application process and if you get in to Tech Law definitely come out for a visit. Admitted Students Day (typically mid spring) is a good time to visit because the school provides booze and then has a chili cookoff following tours and even a simulated class, plus you get to visit with dozens of current students.

Hope that helps, and like I said I'll answer any specific questions I can (assuming I remember to come back here  :))
Texas Tech Law Class of '08

Cube Farmer

• Sr. Citizen
  • The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2006, 02:42:26 AM »
Hey guys, I'm a 2L at Tech and posted on this board quite a bit back when I was looking into schools myself. If you have any specific questions I can try and answer them, though I doubt I'll check up on this board daily. I tried to keep up occasionally with the one last year and the thing went for something like a hundred pages.....

I will say that I love Tech Law and Lubbock isn't as bad as some make it out to be. It's actually quite livable and the only downside is its relative isolation from seemingly everywhere else in Texas, so road trips can be quite lengthy.

And I couldn't find the link, but somewhere on Tech's main website is a "future projects" page that has blueprints and rendering of the new addition to the law school they've just started working on (which for some reason seemed to kick off right around the time we began studying for finals). Unfortunately for me I will probably have graduated before they're done working on it, but all '07 1L's will probably get two full years to enjoy the new courtroom and lecture hall.

Anyway, good luck with the application process and if you get in to Tech Law definitely come out for a visit. Admitted Students Day (typically mid spring) is a good time to visit because the school provides booze and then has a chili cookoff following tours and even a simulated class, plus you get to visit with dozens of current students.

Hope that helps, and like I said I'll answer any specific questions I can (assuming I remember to come back here  :))

Hi Tiger....My biggest concern about Tech are job opportunities in Dallas and Houston, because it is so far out. As a 2L, have you have luck looking for summer employment?
In: Texas Tech ($), Tulsa ($$$); South Texas ($); Baylor; SMU
Waitlist: Oklahoma; Houston; Denver
Rejection: Texas; Georgetown; Harvard; Colorado; Northwestern; ASU;

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - burgamy14
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: December 24, 2006, 11:47:39 AM »
Hi Tiger....My biggest concern about Tech are job opportunities in Dallas and Houston, because it is so far out. As a 2L, have you have luck looking for summer employment?

I interned with a firm way down in the Valley last year (Harlingen TX), but I know plenty of people who found summer jobs in DFW, Austin, and even one friend who's headed down to Houston this summer. Really it's all about networking and "knowing someone", same with any other job but having good grades too doesn't hurt (something I unfortunately don't have).

I would say finding a job in DFW wouldn't be too hard if you were towards the top of your class. Austin or Houston would be a little harder because not as many firms come out to Tech to interview from there, but still possible. The girl I know thats gonna work in Houston just mailed a dozen or so firms in Houston and even got one to fly her down there to interview/spend the weekend.

Honestly Lubbock may be the hardest place of all to find an internship because its completely overrun by Tech Law students who don't want to have to sublet in another location or are taking a couple summer school classes in addition to working.
Texas Tech Law Class of '08

Cube Farmer

• Sr. Citizen
  • The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2007, 12:50:31 AM »
Thanks for the info Tiger. In all likelihood, I will probably be heading down there this fall. I would love to be able to speak with you further as the time approaches. I am gonna shoot you an email just the same. Thanks again.
In: Texas Tech ($), Tulsa ($$$); South Texas ($); Baylor; SMU
Waitlist: Oklahoma; Houston; Denver
Rejection: Texas; Georgetown; Harvard; Colorado; Northwestern; ASU;