Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Tech  (Read 12840 times)

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Texas Tech
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2006, 02:37:10 PM »
Come to Tech with me!  ;D  Can I ask if you asked Tulsa for more $$$ or did the Dean just call and offer?  I am considering asking St. Mary's for $$$ (they did not offer any), but am not sure how to go about it, i.e. who to call.

GUsigma307

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - J2thauL
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2006, 02:39:14 PM »
I haven't heard much about on campus recruiting because I'm only a 1L, but I don't think many of my friends have had problems getting interviews. My 2L friends have had some as well.

Seriously though, make sure you fit in at the schools you get accepted to. All the other factors are important too, but for most people I've talked to, law school isn't as demanding as everyone makes it out to be. People act like it's not a big deal, but you'll be miserable if you don't feel comfortable wherever you end up. My decision was between Mercer and Tech. Mercer is higher ranked, but I passed it up because I visited and hated it. I assumed I'd have no life and no free time to make friends, but unless you're in a top 10 school, most of law school is about networking.
1L at Texas Tech and ALMOST DONE with the first semester!

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2006, 02:41:06 PM »
I haven't heard much about on campus recruiting because I'm only a 1L, but I don't think many of my friends have had problems getting interviews. My 2L friends have had some as well.

Seriously though, make sure you fit in at the schools you get accepted to. All the other factors are important too, but for most people I've talked to, law school isn't as demanding as everyone makes it out to be. People act like it's not a big deal, but you'll be miserable if you don't feel comfortable wherever you end up. My decision was between Mercer and Tech. Mercer is higher ranked, but I passed it up because I visited and hated it. I assumed I'd have no life and no free time to make friends, but unless you're in a top 10 school, most of law school is about networking.

I knew we could count on you!  Thanks!

Cube Farmer

• Sr. Citizen
  • The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2006, 02:48:08 PM »
Come to Tech with me!  ;D  Can I ask if you asked Tulsa for more $$$ or did the Dean just call and offer?  I am considering asking St. Mary's for $$$ (they did not offer any), but am not sure how to go about it, i.e. who to call.

I called Tulsa and asked. All they can say is no. She was very responsive and friendly, which I guess I was not expecting.

I have until May to send a deposit to Tulsa, so I am going to hold off until I hear back from other schools. I am going to send in the deposit to Tech now, though, just to be sure they get it in time.

That brings me to another question. Tech did not provide an envelope or a response form. Should I just drop a check in the envelope, or should I write a letter with it?
In: Texas Tech ($), Tulsa ($$$); South Texas ($); Baylor; SMU
Waitlist: Oklahoma; Houston; Denver
Rejection: Texas; Georgetown; Harvard; Colorado; Northwestern; ASU;

GUsigma307

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - J2thauL
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2006, 02:50:13 PM »
Send your check with a letter stating you're sending in your seat deposit. Most of the schools I applied to didn't send a form or a letter either and I had to call and ask.
1L at Texas Tech and ALMOST DONE with the first semester!

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2006, 02:52:12 PM »
What?  No SASE?  Just kidding.  I think I am going to write a brief note and include my LSAC number and other identifiers to make sure it gets matched with the right file.  Its due Jan. 15th!  Luckily its refundable until April.

Cube Farmer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2006, 02:57:22 PM »
Send your check with a letter stating you're sending in your seat deposit. Most of the schools I applied to didn't send a form or a letter either and I had to call and ask.

Thanks for the response. I will just throw something together real quick, and send it while on my two-hour lunch.  :o

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2006, 03:05:34 PM »

Thanks for the response. I will just throw something together real quick, and send it while on my two-hour lunch.  :o

Love the sarcasm!  Hey, you should search on-line for apartments.  I did a quick search and rent is super cheap in Lubbock.

Cube Farmer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2006, 03:15:07 PM »

Love the sarcasm!  Hey, you should search on-line for apartments.  I did a quick search and rent is super cheap in Lubbock.

I just checked that out: I see why there is really no reason to have on-campus housing.

The only question I have though--and correct me if I am wrong as it has been a while since I rented an apartment--don't apartment complexes want to know about your employment, pay stubs, etc.? I will not be working if/when I get down to Lubbock.

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2006, 03:25:45 PM »
[/quote]

I just checked that out: I see why there is really no reason to have on-campus housing.

The only question I have though--and correct me if I am wrong as it has been a while since I rented an apartment--don't apartment complexes want to know about your employment, pay stubs, etc.? I will not be working if/when I get down to Lubbock.
[/quote]

...I failed to consider that.