Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Tech  (Read 12779 times)

GUsigma307

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - J2thauL
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Tech
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2006, 03:04:25 PM »
I'm a 1L at Tech this year. I'm from Pittsbugh, PA, so Lubbock was a complete culture shock for me. I hate anything that has to do with country (farms, animals, country music) but I absolutely love Tech Law. Lubbock isn't bad. If anyone has any questions about Tech Law or Lubbock, PM me and I'll be glad to answer them for you!
1L at Texas Tech and ALMOST DONE with the first semester!

GUsigma307

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2006, 06:56:23 PM »
K so I just read through all the old posts on this thread and saw some questions I might be able to answer. Just took my Contracts final today and need a break from studying :)

- from what I've heard, Tech grads get placed all over Texas, NM, OK and a few other places. Keep in mind that a lot of people who go to Tech law want to do Oil and Gas and that kind of law, which is pretty limited to Texas.

- As far as living, I live in Hunter's Way which is about a 15 minute drive to campus. The area is pretty safe. A few of my friends also live in Sagewood and Las Colinas. There are plenty of houses for sale and rent. Townhouse/duplex things too. Most of the places are pretty nice. If anyone is looking for apartments, dont' live too close to campus. Undergrads are noisy

- seriously, Lubbock really isn't that bad. I hated it when I came to visit and I was like there is no way I'm gonna survive here for 3 years. Like I said, I'm from Pittsburgh.. like the city, not suburbs, so moving to cow town was a culture shock, but the strip (beer distributors) are only 10-15 minutes from campus, and there are bars all over the place. Don't let "dry town" fool you. Lubbockites love them some alcohol. If you come to visit, GO TO CHIMY'S. Best margaritas EVER.

- also something else to consider. For something like the 4th year in a row, a Tech grad got the highest score on the bar exam, and for the 2nd time in 3 years, one of our professors has won the best professor award from somewhere (don't really know the details but I guess it's a big deal.) Our Board of Barristers and Moot Court teams have also either won or placed nationally pretty much every time they compete. I was really worried that just because it was a T3 and not as well known as UT and all the other big schools in Texas that I'd never be able to get a job out of state, but that's definately not the case.

- as for the weather.. I think I saw someone from Denver's post. I think it snowed once or twice last year. It's snowed once so far and it was gone the next day. The temps are crazy here, but it's pretty mild for me. I think I've only had to wear a winter coat 2 days so far. The Texans are all freezing though, especially the Aggies and people from H-town.

Like I said, if you have any questions, lemme know! Hope I could help... I remember doing this last year and having no idea what I was getting myself into, especially since I was going so far from home, so good luck to everyone :)

shooter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2006, 08:30:06 PM »
K so I just read through all the old posts on this thread and saw some questions I might be able to answer. Just took my Contracts final today and need a break from studying :)

- from what I've heard, Tech grads get placed all over Texas, NM, OK and a few other places. Keep in mind that a lot of people who go to Tech law want to do Oil and Gas and that kind of law, which is pretty limited to Texas.

- As far as living, I live in Hunter's Way which is about a 15 minute drive to campus. The area is pretty safe. A few of my friends also live in Sagewood and Las Colinas. There are plenty of houses for sale and rent. Townhouse/duplex things too. Most of the places are pretty nice. If anyone is looking for apartments, dont' live too close to campus. Undergrads are noisy

- seriously, Lubbock really isn't that bad. I hated it when I came to visit and I was like there is no way I'm gonna survive here for 3 years. Like I said, I'm from Pittsburgh.. like the city, not suburbs, so moving to cow town was a culture shock, but the strip (beer distributors) are only 10-15 minutes from campus, and there are bars all over the place. Don't let "dry town" fool you. Lubbockites love them some alcohol. If you come to visit, GO TO CHIMY'S. Best margaritas EVER.

- also something else to consider. For something like the 4th year in a row, a Tech grad got the highest score on the bar exam, and for the 2nd time in 3 years, one of our professors has won the best professor award from somewhere (don't really know the details but I guess it's a big deal.) Our Board of Barristers and Moot Court teams have also either won or placed nationally pretty much every time they compete. I was really worried that just because it was a T3 and not as well known as UT and all the other big schools in Texas that I'd never be able to get a job out of state, but that's definately not the case.

- as for the weather.. I think I saw someone from Denver's post. I think it snowed once or twice last year. It's snowed once so far and it was gone the next day. The temps are crazy here, but it's pretty mild for me. I think I've only had to wear a winter coat 2 days so far. The Texans are all freezing though, especially the Aggies and people from H-town.

Like I said, if you have any questions, lemme know! Hope I could help... I remember doing this last year and having no idea what I was getting myself into, especially since I was going so far from home, so good luck to everyone :)

Cool, thanks for all the info. So how do you like law school in general(so far)? Do most people there seem to enjoy it? Has anyone tried to convince you to go cow-tippin?
"Yeah, well, sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand." -- Lucas Jackson
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=shooter

GUsigma307

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2006, 08:36:07 PM »
Well I'm not gonna lie... Finals suck big time, but I actually really love school. It's a lot of work, but not NEARLY as much as everyone said it would be. I had nightmares about not having a life and pretty much living in teh library because everyone tells you about the 50 hours out of class you have to spend studying.. I guess it depends where you go and how competitive the students are, but I went out almost every weekend and a few times during the week. Don't let people scare you. It's hard, but it's not hell like people try and tell you. :) No one has convinced me to go cow tippin yet. They're still shocked I've never seen a real one up close before.. haha.

shooter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2006, 09:06:26 PM »
You've never seen a cow up close?? My entire world-view has been shaken :D Another important question, what exactly is the law out there for hard liquor? I know there's a tech thread with like 100+ pages somewhere, but I just don't have it in me to go through it all. thanks
"Yeah, well, sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand." -- Lucas Jackson
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=shooter

Cube Farmer

• Sr. Citizen
  • The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2006, 09:39:07 PM »
Well I'm not gonna lie... Finals suck big time, but I actually really love school. It's a lot of work, but not NEARLY as much as everyone said it would be. I had nightmares about not having a life and pretty much living in teh library because everyone tells you about the 50 hours out of class you have to spend studying.. I guess it depends where you go and how competitive the students are, but I went out almost every weekend and a few times during the week. Don't let people scare you. It's hard, but it's not hell like people try and tell you. :) No one has convinced me to go cow tippin yet. They're still shocked I've never seen a real one up close before.. haha.

Thanks for all the info. I did get your PM. I will certainly be in touch
In: Texas Tech ($), Tulsa ($$$); South Texas ($); Baylor; SMU
Waitlist: Oklahoma; Houston; Denver
Rejection: Texas; Georgetown; Harvard; Colorado; Northwestern; ASU;

Rusty Shackleford

• Sr. Citizen
  • #1 OATLAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2006, 11:28:11 PM »
You've never seen a cow up close?? My entire world-view has been shaken :D Another important question, what exactly is the law out there for hard liquor? I know there's a tech thread with like 100+ pages somewhere, but I just don't have it in me to go through it all. thanks

You can buy liquor by the bottle at the strip, which like GUsigma said is about 10-15 minutes away.  There's also hard liquor at the bars by the shot, or with mixed drinks.  I can't remember exactly who said it but I believe a councilmember wryly stated that Lubbock was "the wettest dry city in America."
Penn Law 2010

GUsigma307

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2006, 02:18:14 PM »
haha yeah it definately is the wettest dry city in america. We've never had a problem finding alcohol. You'll need it after finals. At Orientation, the dean of the law school said "If you drink, this is a bad time to stop. If you don't, this is a bad time to start." :) 

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2006, 03:54:22 PM »
Got my letter from Tech today!  I am doing the happy dance!  They offered a $10,000 scholarship which is renewable if you remain in the top 50%!   ;D  Yippie!  Save your class notes for me GUsigna...just kidding.

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2006, 04:25:10 PM »
Got my letter from Tech today!  I am doing the happy dance!  They offered a $10,000 scholarship which is renewable if you remain in the top 50%!   ;D  Yippie!  Save your class notes for me GUsigna...just kidding.

Congrats, Smack  :)