Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Tech  (Read 12696 times)

becky

• View Profile
    • Email
Texas Tech
« on: November 13, 2006, 11:14:34 AM »
Is anyone else applying to Texas Tech?  I just got an acceptance letter from them last week (YAY!).  I'm pretty sure this is where I want to go, but I also want to see how the rest of my applications pan out. 
To those of you who did apply to TTU, two questions...

How are your applications coming? and...

Are you familiar with Lubbock at all?  I wanted to start looking for houses, but I don't know where the nice parts of town are.   

kimmie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Texas Tech
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 11:25:11 AM »
Hi!  I applied to Tech ED.  My LSAC report date is 11/6 and I got an email last week saying they are "processing" my application.  I am currently living in Austin, but am from West Texas and have visited Lubbock quite a few times.  I'm not really sure about houses and the good parts of town, however.  Did you apply Early decision?

Also, there was a really helpful thread from end of last year through most of this year - search for Texas Tech Fall 2006.

becky

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 11:38:06 AM »
I actually did not apply ED.
I have never been to Lubbock.  From what I understand, it's pretty dry and flat.  My husband and I are thinking we might take a trip down there to look at houses.  He has already started looking for a job.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 11:56:52 AM »
i was thinking about applying to Texas Tech, but it is just too far out in the boonies.

i'm planning on staying in texas, and will hope for UT, SMU, UH

kimmie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 12:06:02 PM »
It is way out in the boonies!  And, it is very flat and dry, but not a bad place to live for school.  My family lives in Midland though so I think it might be nice to be close to them for a little while.  I also applied to UT, U of H and South Texas College.  UT and U of H are pretty big reached for me, but I thought it was worth a try.

becky

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 12:13:31 PM »
I also applied to UT and South TX.  UT is a far reach for me as well.  I applied there ED but I am not holding my breath!

chewy06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 12:29:16 PM »
I'm still debating on whether I want to apply there.

Cube Farmer

• Sr. Citizen
  • The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 01:04:41 PM »
I applied and was accepted last week. I am planning to go visit the area in the next month or so. From a climate perspective, it is my understanding that it is similar to where I am now (Denver) with a bit less snow and more mild temps. Other than that, I am not sure. I also applied to UT, UH, South Texas, and SMU. I might get into SMU, and probably into South Texas, but I am not counting on SMU, UT or UH.

One of the benefits for me, is they gave me in-state tuition, and it is only an 8-9 hour drive to Denver. My wife is in school now so I do not want to displace her too bad. However, she might be able to transfer to TTU, so that may be another consideration for me.

I guess I will no more when I go visit soon enough. I will be in Houston next week to see some family but I do not forsee making that 500 mile drive to Lubbock then. If anyone does go for a visit, please report back your findings. I would be very interested to know some opinions, observations, etc..
In: Texas Tech ($), Tulsa ($$$); South Texas ($); Baylor; SMU
Waitlist: Oklahoma; Houston; Denver
Rejection: Texas; Georgetown; Harvard; Colorado; Northwestern; ASU;

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 01:10:23 PM »
I applied. 

They sent me a fee waiver which was nice because I was already considering them.  The major benefit of Lubbock is that there are a few Wells Fargo branches.  My wife has a great job with them and transferring would be relatively easy for her.

Beyond that, I know next to nothing about it or Lubbock.   

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 01:21:42 PM »
I applied. 

They sent me a fee waiver which was nice because I was already considering them.  The major benefit of Lubbock is that there are a few Wells Fargo branches.  My wife has a great job with them and transferring would be relatively easy for her.

Beyond that, I know next to nothing about it or Lubbock.   

we have a ton of wells fargo branches in dfw
/smu and texas wesleyan