Law School Discussion

Texas Tech

HeckBoy

• give 'em heck, boy
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Tech
« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2007, 01:15:22 PM »
I went to the admitted students day for the morning.  I thought the mock class was pretty interesting.  Sucks to be the "numbers guy" though.  I guess we'll all be there at some point in the next year!

I unfortunately couldnt make the ASW, so I'll probably have to visit sometime in the next 2 weeks. Who/what's the "numbers guy" do?

mij

• P.S....
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2007, 01:50:02 PM »

« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2007, 10:58:16 PM »
So who here has decided on Tech? Their ASD was cool, and I'm seriously starting to lean that way now after the sticker shock of SMU!

Cube Farmer

• The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2007, 10:32:28 AM »
Yeah, SMU is steep. I am just not sure I want to take out that much debt. Especially since I find BIGLAW abhorrent. I am trying to decide between Tech and Tulsa. Tulsa offered me an 80% scholarship. I could graduate law school for next to nothing. Tech gave me an in-state waiver, and an extra 1k per year. in-state really makes a difference. I would need to let SMU know by June 1st. I just do not know what the hell to do....

So here I am, May 17th, and completely undecided.

« Reply #174 on: May 17, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »
Ha! I am in the exact same situation as you. Can't make up my mind either. At SMU, I graduate almost 150k in debt. With my scholarship to Tech, I can graduate w/ a little over 30K in debt. What to do, what to do.

And yeah, since you're averse to biglaw, going to SMU would be tough.

Texas2L

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2007, 11:48:50 AM »
Yeah, SMU is steep. I am just not sure I want to take out that much debt. Especially since I find BIGLAW abhorrent. I am trying to decide between Tech and Tulsa. Tulsa offered me an 80% scholarship. I could graduate law school for next to nothing. Tech gave me an in-state waiver, and an extra 1k per year. in-state really makes a difference. I would need to let SMU know by June 1st. I just do not know what the hell to do....

What do you plan to do after graduation if not big law a few years to get experience/training?  Not antagonizing you, genuinely curious.  All we seem to hear about is the biglaw stuff.

Thanks

Cube Farmer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2007, 11:52:14 AM »

What do you plan to do after graduation if not big law a few years to get experience/training?  Not antagonizing you, genuinely curious.  All we seem to hear about is the biglaw stuff.

Thanks

Public Defender or DA. I think I could go either route. But with the lower pay, I am not sure I can take on that kind of debt, even though I would love to go to SMU.

Texas2L

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2007, 12:05:39 PM »
Thats pretty gutsy.  Not what I want to do (I'm not cut out for the criminal stuff) but I can definitely respect it.  Best of luck to you.

My only advice would be to look carefully at the people getting the jobs you want, look at what qualifications they have, and make sure whatever school you choose gets you there.. past that, choose the one that puts you in the least debt, as you're doing.  :)

Cube Farmer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: May 17, 2007, 01:43:26 PM »
Tech very well might be the best option. That debt, I can handle. Texas, I know does not have a public defender system at all. It is very ad-hoc, and hence why they are criticized so heavily in capital cases. Colorado has a fully-funded, state-wide, PD office. I might want to return to Denver. I don't know: I just don't know.

Cube Farmer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: May 17, 2007, 01:48:55 PM »
LOL. I know. SMU would be great; I really did not have much a shot getting in (based on my numbers) and now I am goig to turn them down? sounds nuts to me, and contrary to everything I have ever been told. Tech seems to have a decent reputation and it is not too far from Denver. We shall see.