Law School Discussion

Texas Tech

smack

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Texas Tech
« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2007, 07:44:43 AM »
Thanks for the info Tiger. In all likelihood, I will probably be heading down there this fall. I would love to be able to speak with you further as the time approaches. I am gonna shoot you an email just the same. Thanks again.

Ditto.  Its great to have insight from someone currently attending.

smack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2007, 11:34:59 AM »
Reminder...seat deposits are due January 15th!  That means you Cube Farmer!

Cube Farmer

• The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2007, 11:37:10 AM »

Thanks for the reminder Smack. They received my check a week or so ago, and already sent me a return receipt.

EDIT: Are you sending in your deposit or are you waiting on Houston? I believe the Tech deposit is refundable through April 6th. Then they want another grand....

smack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2007, 11:38:25 AM »

Thanks for the reminder Smack. They received my check a week or so ago, and already sent me a return receipt.

You are on the ball!  I sent mine yesterday.

Cube Farmer

• The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2007, 11:39:56 AM »

You are on the ball!  I sent mine yesterday.

Good Deal. I have 28 days of vacation to burn through until I quit in June, so I am probably going to head down there soon. I was just thinking that even if I get into SMU, I do not think I would be able to afford it anyway. With my numbers, even if I was a muiracle admit, I would not be getting much in the way of scholarship money.

Urban

« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2007, 08:54:48 PM »
Figured Id introduce myself as well ... Im a 1L at Tech. If you have any questions ... feel free to contact me as well, Id be more than happy to answer any questions to a 1L. Although the best way to get a hold of me would be email at jd.urban@ttu.edu ... Best of luck.

On a couple of questions,

1) Tech lawyers are pretty respected in the Dallas and Houston areas (from what I hear).

2) You can live almost anywhere in Lubbock (which is not completely as boring as people say ... law students tend to get their shots in) and be alright. I live in an apartment complex right near the University and its really convenient.

Feel free to give me an email, and if youre in the area, let me know if you want at least a relatively small tour. Best of Luck,

Urban

« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2007, 05:50:14 PM »
Hey everyone...

Never posted here before but thought I'd share my experience thus far...

I'm currently a 2L at Tech Law.  Call me crazy, but Tech Law was my first choice and I love it here.  I was accepted to every school I applied to in Okahoma and Texas except UT.  I know several people that picked Tech over schools ranked in the top 50s.  We have one of the best Deans in the country and a great community.  Its a realitivly new school, but the future looks very bright.  Lots of great things happening - more than I have time to list now.  I'm from West Texas and don't like the rush of the huge cities.  If you need that, then you probably won't like lubbock much.  A law degree from Tech is a huge value IMO. 

As far as jobs, I took graduate classes last summer (Tech has some awesome joint-degree programs) but I didn't have much trouble getting a great job for next summer.  I only missed one class for interviews!  If your in the top 15% it is not very uncommon to start out at 100K+ in the DFW metroplex.

I'm a little more than half-way done with my law and master's degree in personal financial planning, and I feel like coming to Tech Law was one of the best decisions I ever made.  I can honestly tell you that if I could transfer with a full ride to any other law school I would stay right here.

P.S. My biggest complaint about the law school is parking.  Be sure you sign up for R21 parking fairly quickly after you make a decision.

« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2007, 05:57:05 PM »
Just went back and saw a question about finding a place to live in Lubbock.

Lubbock is a college town with a lot of new apartments.  Rent and cost of living are very cheap.  The trick is finding a cheap apartment with w/d connections if you need them. 

HeckBoy

• give 'em heck, boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Hey everyone...

I'm currently a 2L at Tech Law.  Call me crazy, but Tech Law was my first choice and I love it here.  I was accepted to every school I applied to in Okahoma and Texas except UT.  I know several people that picked Tech over schools ranked in the top 50s.  We have one of the best Deans in the country and a great community.  Its a realitivly new school, but the future looks very bright.  Lots of great things happening - more than I have time to list now.  I'm from West Texas and don't like the rush of the huge cities.  If you need that, then you probably won't like lubbock much.  A law degree from Tech is a huge value IMO. 

As far as jobs, I took graduate classes last summer (Tech has some awesome joint-degree programs) but I didn't have much trouble getting a great job for next summer.  I only missed one class for interviews!  If your in the top 15% it is not very uncommon to start out at 100K+ in the DFW metroplex.

I'm a little more than half-way done with my law and master's degree in personal financial planning, and I feel like coming to Tech Law was one of the best decisions I ever made.  I can honestly tell you that if I could transfer with a full ride to any other law school I would stay right here.

P.S. My biggest complaint about the law school is parking.  Be sure you sign up for R21 parking fairly quickly after you make a decision.

I've recently been accepted to Tech, but am still waiting for the bulk of my schools before I make a decision. However, they did offer me a scholarship, but it's contingent on being in the top 1/3 or the class. From your experience, do you happen to know what that cutoff is generally about? And how hard is it to achieve it? Like how many hours/week did you spend studying (outside of classes I mean). I have to give them at least some preliminary notice by March 1st, so I'm trying to collect as much data before sending them a deposit to at least reserve the scholarship if I should take them up on it.

« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2007, 07:22:53 AM »
Hey everyone...

A very encouraging post. Tech has become my 1st choice and it's good to hear from a happy student. Although I love big cities, I don't think Lubbock is that bad. I'm planning on moving back to Austin after law school and I have already met a ton of Tech Law alumni here and the network among them is pretty tight.

A few questions if you have time to respond: How many people in your section? Is the atmosphere really competitive? What's the grading curve like? How many hours outside of class do you study? I guess all the basics really :)