Law School Discussion

Texas Tech

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Tech
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2006, 08:12:13 AM »
have you checked out summer position prospects for texas tech?

seems like uh and smu are targets for you, and may place better in dallas/houston for summer positions, as well as san antonio.
a summer position at a large firm in dallas/houston could lead to a position at a sister office in san antonio

smack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2006, 08:32:42 AM »
have you checked out summer position prospects for texas tech?
seems like uh and smu are targets for you, and may place better in dallas/houston for summer positions, as well as san antonio.
a summer position at a large firm in dallas/houston could lead to a position at a sister office in san antonio

I only know from what I have seen at the firm I am at now.  We have had several summer associates from Tech and have two new associates that graduated from Tech in May.  Now just to be in that top 10%...sigh...

Cube Farmer

• The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2006, 11:18:14 AM »
So here I am looking at Tech and Tulsa. Tech gave me in-state tuition, and Tulsa gave me a 16k/year scholarship. The money is important to me. Irrespective of other schools to which I may get accepted, I am leaning to the lower costs. I want to keep my options open and I think that means that I need to keep my debt as low as possible.

Do ya'll think the job prospects are that much better from Tech than Tulsa?

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2006, 11:20:40 AM »
do you want to work in texas?

Cube Farmer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2006, 11:24:24 AM »

I think I do, preferably the Houston area. Tulsa is in the overall "region" though. I mean, nearly as far as Tech..LOL

smack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2006, 11:26:21 AM »
So here I am looking at Tech and Tulsa. Tech gave me in-state tuition, and Tulsa gave me a 16k/year scholarship. The money is important to me. Irrespective of other schools to which I may get accepted, I am leaning to the lower costs. I want to keep my options open and I think that means that I need to keep my debt as low as possible.

Which offer works out best money wise?  It used to be that Tech did not get many firms doing on-campus recruiting because Lubbock is so far from the major Texas cities.  From what I have heard from recent graduates is that this has changed in the last few years.  Maybe GUsigna has this info for us.

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2006, 11:28:06 AM »

I think I do, preferably the Houston area. Tulsa is in the overall "region" though. I mean, nearly as far as Tech..LOL

imho,
you will have a much better chance at jobs in houston as a texas tech grad than tulsa.
did you apply to uh?

Cube Farmer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2006, 11:30:11 AM »

Which offer works out best money wise?  It used to be that Tech did not get many firms doing on-campus recruiting because Lubbock is so far from the major Texas cities.  From what I have heard from recent graduates is that this has changed in the last few years.  Maybe GUsigna has this info for us.

Tulsa will definately be cheaper. In fact, the dean called me and she is going to look into the possibility of more money.

I lived in Tulsa for a while, and I do not mind the city, but I am afraid of beign stuck there with a very small legal market.

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2006, 11:31:26 AM »
i know people in tulsa who got stuck there.
you don't want that to happen to you

Cube Farmer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2006, 11:34:03 AM »

imho,
you will have a much better chance at jobs in houston as a texas tech grad than tulsa.
did you apply to uh?

Yes, I did apply to UH and South Texas. Honestly, though, my chances are slim at UH, especially with in-state tuition. I also applied to SMU but, again, it is super expensive.

Edit: I think I am going to send in my seat deposit to Tech (they will refund through April). I honestly did not think it would be such a tough decision.